Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocket Knife

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I carry a Buck "Solitaire" pocketknife - but I just started a couple of years ago... in my mid-50s.

Having grown up in the NYC area, carrying a pocketknife was definitely not the common tradition that it is in more rural parts of the country. But I recently came to feel that I wanted to have a tool with me at all times, just as I always carry a camera. (Not a phone or digicam, a film camera - a 1950s Minox loaded with b/w.) And you know, it's proven very handy!

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
That top one is a lovely design. It'd have you in the dock over here, though!

Yeah...actually, it isn't legal to carry concealed here, either. North Carolina allows one to possess a switchblade but it must be carried in full view. Sort of defeats the whole purpose, I think.

It must be the image of the switchblade that frightens squeamish legislatures into passing special laws applicable only to automatic knives. I can actually draw and open the Kershaw much more quickly than I can the Frank B. The Kershaw has a clip that keeps it at the top of my pocket and makes it quickly accessible. It also has a spring assist feature at allows me to open it, one handed, with a flick of my thumb. And, come to think of it, the Kershaw would likely be more deadly with its larger, stronger blade and serrated edge.

I had to acquire the Frank B. from a "special source". But not the Kershaw, I just bought it at my local Wal-Mart. Didn’t have to fill out any forms or answer any questions. I could have been Charles Manson and the clerk wouldn’t have known the difference. And it was very easy to find in the store. It was in the huge knife display case located directly beside the display case full of AR-15s and folding stock semiautomatic shotguns.

AF

I've bought a few "automatic" opening knife kits. I guess they are not illegal accept to carry once assembled.
I have 2 Kershaws, a Whirlwind & a 1660 Ken Onion Leek. These open just as fast being "assisted" as the autos but as AF stated, sold at Wally World.
I also have a small suit knife by Victorinox that has no actual blade, just small scissors & a bottle opener, screw driver, wire stripper combo. It has gone past every TSA screening, just open up & put thru the scanner. I don't feel right w/o having something in my pocket.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Two which belonged to my grandfather.

IMG_6074_zps87b8d516.jpg

IMG_6075_zps64bfc45c.jpg

owlbeen

New in Town
knives_zps81b48fab.jpg

I've got two of the same make -- ad knives by Colonial. One, the lower knife, belonged to my great grandfather, and noted his membership in the Crosby Farmer's Association. The other I bought from a local antique store to use in place of the first, as I didn't want it to get damaged during schoolwork. I carry the second more often now, and keep my great-grandfather's in my desk.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
I have carried a pocketknife for the last 50 years. I think it is part of any mans wardrobe. I have small ones for business wear and larger ones for everyday. I do not particularly like the newer Kershaw types as I have a penchant for the classic style pocket knives I collected old Remingtons for years but sold them after a few years. I like Case and other brands such as Wilbert and Cattaraugus. I have some Queen manufactured Robesons and a Blue Grass Cutlery Winchester recreations from old forms as well. One of my favorites is a Laguiole I bought in Paris at E.Dehillerin's while my wife was finding cooking items in Julia Child's favorite haunts. Imagine her surprise when she sees me pointing to an old Knife display asking about the one on top. E.Dehillerin's shipped it back along with the items she found. They claimed it Ivory but my guess is it's bone. I don't carry it often but love the look of it. It did open a few bottles of wine though.

Wilbert and Cattaraugus

038_zps37e6812b.jpg

Queen Made Robeson (Rail Splitter) and Winchester (Small Congress) made by Blue Grass Cutlery

040_zpsb473a754.jpg

The Laguiole from E.Dehillerin's

041_zps9ad9c2f8.jpg

Magister

Familiar Face
When dressed nicely for work, I like a small, traditional slipjoint. I rotate among a couple of Case Peanuts, a Case Swayback Gent, and a Great Eastern Cutlery #25 Barlow in buffalo horn (my favorite).

On my own time, I tend to prefer a Victorinox Spirit multitool paired with a modern folder or very small fixed blade.

DeaconKC

One Too Many
We had to fly for a vacation so I left my usual pocket knives at home. Well this morning, I spotted an old Shrade Cub Scout knife in an antique store so guess what is riding around in my pocket right now.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I carry a Schrade single-blade locking knife with a combo straight/serrated edge. It's a great all-around knife that's gotten me out of a few jams.

jglf

A-List Customer
I carry benchmade knives with the axis opening system. Doesn't have the vintage look, but I love the quality and how fast they can open.

splintercellsz

I'll Lock Up
This is my Great-Grandfathers, or my Great-Great Grandfather (My grandmother is unsure).

No idea what the T49 stands for, who the maker is due to the heavy wear, or what the black thing is on the handle; but she told me that the handle is made from bone. She thinks it is an older knife, but I have no idea!

00219.jpg

00314.jpg

00413.jpg

00812.jpg

01011.jpg

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
splintercellsz your knife is made by Kabar and it is a fishing knife. The handle (scales) are yellow celluloid. The T49 is the model of the knife, there was also a smaller T29 and a larger T75. The black thing on the handle is a sharpening stone for fishhooks. The long thin serrated blade is for scaling the fish, at the end is a hook remover. There you go!

bulldog1935

Suspended
Daily, I carry a cigar cutter - Al Mar Havana Clipper
knife6.jpg

I generally carry more knife when I'm outdoors.
I have several fishing bags and each has a clip-on folder, including Spyderco, Benchmade, and CRKT.
In my collection are a few folding knives - old Hardware store knives and modern Moore Maker.
knife4-1.jpg

But more fixed blade knives - bird & trout, and small skinners/woodsman camp knives.
knives-1.jpg

Last edited:

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thank you so much, Mike!

Are these knives worth anything, and do you know how old it may be?

Generally old knives aren't worth much in used condition, most collectors want them as close to new as possible. Really depends on rarity too, your fishing knife was a tool and sold as such so hard to find in nice condition. It's the tree C's of collecting that determines value, Condition, Condition, Condition. I don't specialize in Kabar so couldn't say what yours is worth or how old. My guess to it's age would be 60-80s but that's just a guess.

I'm going to a knife show this weekend and might be able to find out more from a Kabar collector. I have 3 Kabar flyfishing knives that are quite rare and valuable so may be able to "lure" in some more info on yours :)

Old Rogue

Practically Family
I currently carry an off-brand folding knife that has a seat-belt cutter built into the handle. I thought that capability might come in handy since I'm a volunteer fire-fighter, although the only time I've actually used it was in training. Surprisingly, it worked extremely well and zipped right through the webbing of the seat belt. Even though the blade is stainless it doesn't hold an edge well, so I'll be replacing it before too long. I've been lusting after one of the Emerson CQC-7 models, but the price tag gives me great pause. Like many of the others on this thread, my workplace considers pocket knives weapons, so I don't carry it as regularly as I'd like. Strange, the large pair of scissors in my desk drawer are perfectly fine according to company policy. Guess there's no chance they could be used as a weapon, right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters