Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Robert Phares

New in Town
I need a pocket watch

Like DerMann, I can attest to Paul's Watch and Clock Repair, http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/. I sent a Movado pocket watch to a Movado repair facility - which was unable to repair it because of lack of a replacement part. I wrote Raimon Irimescu at Paul's Watch and Clock Repair. Raimon wrote the problem was most likely a balance staff. He quoted a price of $130.00 which included repair, cleaning, and shipping. Turnaround time was less than two weeks. Watch rune fine. One might wish to consider this shop, especially if finding a part for an old watch is becoming challenging.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Target has quite a few - not all in the store, but ordering from their website's quick and easy. I got the stainless steel Coleman ($19.99) as a knock-around watch over a year ago and it's still running great.

JEEP

Practically Family
I would also recomend going for a vintage watch.

You can actually get a vintage Omega pocketwatch, in working condition, for less than $200 if you spend a little patience and time searching. And you never go wrong with Omega - especially because replacement parts are almost always to be found.

A vintage Elgin is also an excelent option; they are cheap and extreamly durable.

Regards.

Jakob

Feraud

Bartender
Robert Phares said:
Like DerMann, I can attest to Paul's Watch and Clock Repair, http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/. I sent a Movado pocket watch to a Movado repair facility - which was unable to repair it because of lack of a replacement part. I wrote Raimon Irimescu at Paul's Watch and Clock Repair. Raimon wrote the problem was most likely a balance staff. He quoted a price of $130.00 which included repair, cleaning, and shipping. Turnaround time was less than two weeks. Watch rune fine. One might wish to consider this shop, especially if finding a part for an old watch is becoming challenging.
This is a great price considering the factors.
I will keep them in mind for when I next need watch service.

Naphtali

Practically Family
There are hunter-style pocket watches and this hunter pocket watch that's available, but not inexpensive.

It is an Elgin 17-jewel 14K three-tone gold, 339 movement, made in 1909, size 16. I wind it quarterly. It runs efficiently.

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
If you can find one you like, a ralroad pocketwatch in good condition will provide both accuracy and durability.
IMG_0775.jpg

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Mine's a Smiths Empire. Great open face pocket watch. Bought it on Ebay from the UK. Doesn't miss a beat. Great deco feel.

2993211545_96f57435d5.jpg

(Note: photo taken from ebay - however it is the same model as mine)

carter

I'll Lock Up
From ebay auctions (and inspired by Slim Portly)

I recently won a 1911 Elgin pocket watch from a seller in Mississippi:
49ab_12.JPG
562e_12.JPG
3b68_12.JPG

438a_12.JPG
32d2_12.JPG

I wanted the watch because it is inscribed Christmas 1900 and the seller says it is in good working order.

A 15 1/2" flat-link Victorian era chain from a seller in Canada:
8677_1.JPG

with a 15/16" gold and amber enameledWoodman of the World fob
8b73_1.JPG

Then I scored an antique rose gold carnelian fob from a seller in the UK. It is described by the seller as Georgian or possibly early Victorian.
efb5_1.JPG
f229_1.JPG
f505_1.JPG

Now I hope all these elements work well together.

Talbot

One Too Many
Buy an oldie!

This is not an idealogical issue of old vs repro.

Original units can be picked up fairly reasonably if you hunt a bit. It may need some form of repair, but it will be better made and will appreciate in value. Not to mention the character of the item.

Having said that, there are some nice retro units around for a reasonable price. One thing you need to look out for is the issue of plating wear. The gold plate is pretty thin these days, and eventually (say a few years) you will have a lot of wear through, not a good look. You will have noticed it on other peoples watches, it kinda creeps up over time, but is seriously ugly.

You will then have a working watch that you are unable to flash about. Note also that pink/rose gold is softer than yellow gold, so will wear off faster.

If you are going repro, see if you can find a stainless case, or at least a chrome plated one. One of my most treasured pieces has a chrome plated case and it always gets compliments.

Happy hunting,

Talbot

Slim Portly

One Too Many
cufflinkmaniac said:
Point taken,a wristwatch it is.
So you're wearing a zoot suit to court? Your question was if it would be "too flashy" to wear a pocket watch, and the answer was "If you are wearing an elegant, well cut suit, no." As in, no it would not be inappropriate.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
So you're wearing a zoot suit to court? Your question was if it would be "too flashy" to wear a pocket watch, and the answer was "If you are wearing an elegant, well cut suit, no." As in, no it would not be inappropriate.

Oh for crying out loud,I misread.Sorry for the mix up.I'm still going to go with a wristwatch though.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wouldn't think a pocket watch with chain would be "flashy" at all. This is how I dress for work just about every day (see below). I always wear a pocket watch. While I think (hope) I look business-like and respectable, I do not think (hope I don't) look "flashy".

I guess a lot would also depend upon your age. I'm in my 50's and have been established in my job for some time. People are used to seeing me dress this way and, to a degree "expect" to see me like this. If I were in my 20's or had a blue color job, then it could conceivably look somewhat out of place.

After all that rambling, my suggestion would be to dress appropriately for court - which should be a suit (or at least a coat and tie) and wear the pocket watch if you like. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with a pocket watch, and I don't think it is "flashy".

DSC02612.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24