Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Big Man said:
I wouldn't think a pocket watch with chain would be "flashy" at all. This is how I dress for work just about every day (see below). I always wear a pocket watch. While I think (hope) I look business-like and respectable, I do not think (hope I don't) look "flashy".

I guess a lot would also depend upon your age. I'm in my 50's and have been established in my job for some time. People are used to seeing me dress this way and, to a degree "expect" to see me like this. If I were in my 20's or had a blue color job, then it could conceivably look somewhat out of place.

After all that rambling, my suggestion would be to dress appropriately for court - which should be a suit (or at least a coat and tie) and wear the pocket watch if you like. I don't think there is anything wrong at all with a pocket watch, and I don't think it is "flashy".

DSC02612.jpg

Thanks for the opinion!If I'm ever in Nebo,and see someone in a fedora and pocketwatch,I'll be sure to say hello.

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I'm from the old south and have had some visits to court and to other public hearings type affairs in gov't.
In a small town there could be a backlash against anyone who dresses too flashy and looks like some city slicker trying to come to country to push the locals around.
If it is a larger more progressive city then by all means dress to the nines so that you impress.

I had to have a visit to a planning and zoning board meeting in rural GA in order to buy a property that had to be split off a large parcel. I went with the gentleman local farmer that was the seller and he was alaways dressed in khakis and an oxford cloth button down shirt and wearing a John Deere ballcap. I dressed in similar cothes but wore a felt western.
We walked in and sat, cap and hat off. The meeting started and a dressed down local stood when called and explained his business and was approved, then another dressed down local did the same with the same result. This repeated several times and then a man dressed in a fine suit & tie with french cuff shirt and pocket square folded in coat stood and explained his similar business to the others and was flatly denied. He asked some questions and the disdain for this city slicker from over in Atlanta was written plainly on the faces of the P&Z board, all dressed down local farmer types.
I was next and stood when called on and was approved.
My request was far more of a stretch than the city slicker but I was "one of them" and posed no threat.

There are times and places when making an impression is good and others where it is counter to one's purpose.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
suitedcboy said:
... There are times and places when making an impression is good and others where it is counter to one's purpose.

Very sound advice. The goal should be to look nice and respectable without looking threatening - unless, of course, threatening is your objective. :D

It depends on several things, the attitude of the judge and whether or not you're going to be presenting information such as testimony.

If you go thru an elaborate show of taking it out and reading the time while on the stand, the judge may ask the baliff to shoot you. Also any time you walk into the area inside the gates you're really really in the judges domain and should be respectful.

Someplaces, such an ostentatious display is an invitation to get robbed in the parking lot.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
New Pocketwatch

I just picked up a new pocketwatch in a moment of Black Friday shopping craze.It's isn't anything special (Coleman),but it will do.It has a kind of clunky chain,and doen't have a t-bar,so I don't think I'll be able to wear it with a waistcoat,but it has some sort of clip that I assume slides onto a belt.I'm sure I'll be able to find a new (well,vintage) chain on eBay,but in the meantime,how would it look wearing a pocletwatch on the belt with,for example,a pair of chinos?I don't think it would look quite right with anything dressier.I'll post pictures (in a seperate thread) when I get my camera back.

Imahomer

Practically Family
I'm very interested in the replies you get. I want to buy a full sized, older pocket watch to carry around with me. Maybe a GF Hamilton, or something along those lines. I'd love to see how people carry them, especially when dressed casually.

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Imahomer said:
I'm very interested in the replies you get. I want to buy a full sized, older pocket watch to carry around with me. Maybe a GF Hamilton, or something along those lines. I'd love to see how people carry them, especially when dressed casually.

I probably should have waited until I found a vintage model,but it was a moment of weakness.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
cufflinkmaniac said:
I'm sure I'll be able to find a new (well,vintage) chain on eBay,but in the meantime,how would it look wearing a pocletwatch on the belt with,for example,a pair of chinos?
If your question is wether or not watches were worn with similar belt attachments in days long ago, the answer is yes. Wearing a watch chain with a belt hook was quite common when pocket watches roamed the Earth. The Coleman watch here on the left has a belt hook that is essentially the same as the fancy 100-year-old watch chain on the right. If your question is how good will a modern watch with a modern chain look when worn with chinos, we'll need pictures to be able to properly judge.

chains.jpg

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
Slim Portly said:
If your question is wether or not watches were worn with similar belt attachments in days long ago, the answer is yes. Wearing a watch chain with a belt hook was quite common when pocket watches roamed the Earth. The Coleman watch here on the left has a belt hook that is essentially the same as the fancy 100-year-old watch chain on the right. If your question is how good will a modern watch with a modern chain look when worn with chinos, we'll need pictures to be able to properly judge.

chains.jpg

I'm glad it isn't a modern thing!And that Coleman is the exact same model I have.I'll post picture in a seperate thread when I get my camera back.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Imahomer said:
I see.... So, the clip attaches to your belt, the watch pops into your pocket and the chain drops a bit, just to look good. ;)
Pretty much. When I was in high school, I wore a modern Fossil pocket watch for a few years that had the same type of belt clip. However, since then, I've grown accustomed to chains with the more circular clip and spring-loaded opening (I don't know how else to describe that one).

Imahomer

Practically Family
ScionPI2005 said:
Pretty much. When I was in high school, I wore a modern Fossil pocket watch for a few years that had the same type of belt clip. However, since then, I've grown accustomed to chains with the more circular clip and spring-loaded opening (I don't know how else to describe that one).

I get confused as to the differrent ways to hang a pocket watch chain. In fact I have a 14 K. watch (which is way to nice to wear daily) and I have no idea how the chain goes.

Slim Portly

One Too Many
ScionPI2005 said:
... However, since then, I've grown accustomed to chains with the more circular clip and spring-loaded opening (I don't know how else to describe that one).
Believe it or not, that's called a "spring ring clasp," as opposed to a lobster clasp, a toggle clasp, a hook-and-eye clasp, a tube bar clasp, an end bar clasp, a multi-strand clasp, a box clasp...
:p

Imahomer said:
... I have a 14 K. watch (which is way to nice to wear daily) and I have no idea how the chain goes.
Post a picture of the chain or a similar one from the 'net and I'll tell the way(s) to wear it.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Imahomer said:
I want to buy a full sized, older pocket watch to carry around with me. Maybe a GF Hamilton, or something along those lines. I'd love to see how people carry them, especially when dressed casually.
Shoes348.jpg

Feraud

Bartender
Imahomer said:
I get confused as to the differrent ways to hang a pocket watch chain. In fact I have a 14 K. watch (which is way to nice to wear daily) and I have no idea how the chain goes.
Depending on how the chain ends (clip or t-bar) you can wear it on a belt, hooked through a shirt, vest, or jacket button hole.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24