Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

fluteplayer07 said:
Thanks for the help. :D What does the grade mean? The quality? Size? And do you think, besides the possible sentimental value, if it was worth the $175 repair price I paid? Not to sound shallow, but I'm kind of interested. :p

Thanks,

The grade was just a number assigned to that run of movements. It is a higher than average quality grade as it has 17 jewels when you could get a cheap watch with no jewels for a lot less money---about $1.
The size refers the the distance across the face/dial of the watch. Yours should measure 1 21/30".
If the watch is in running order, has good cosmetics and all you have into it is the $175 then it is worth the repair price you paid. Having it repaired made it worth a lot more than it was worth not running in a drawer that is for sure. ;)

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Yup, all I've invested is the $175 repair costs, and the 8 bucks to ship it out to my watch maker. Thanks for all the info. I have one final question, then I'll leave you alone (for now ;) :D ); what does the term 'adjustments' mean? I've heard that the more you have the better, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Again, thanks,

fluteplayer07 said:
Yup, all I've invested is the $175 repair costs, and the 8 bucks to ship it out to my watch maker. Thanks for all the info. I have one final question, then I'll leave you alone (for now ;) :D ); what does the term 'adjustments' mean? I've heard that the more you have the better, but beyond that I'm clueless.

Again, thanks,

In short, adjustments are things done to a movement that will keep it running accurately not matter what the temperature (heat or cold), how tightly the main spring is wound and not matter how it is positioned (six positions being stem up, stem down, stem right, stem left, face up, face down). So you have a possibility of 9 adjustments.
For the specifics on such adjustments and what is adjusted or used to control external forces that affect the ability of a watch to keep time no matter what, checkout this:
http://trusted-forwarder.org/elgin/technical/adjustments.html

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Six positions + Isoc. + Temp. = Eight, is what I always read. I've never heard of a watch being adjusted for hot (or cold) without also being adjusted for the other extreme, so I think "Temperature" falls under a complete adjustment in itself.

Shangas said:
Six positions + Isoc. + Temp. = Eight, is what I always read. I've never heard of a watch being adjusted for hot (or cold) without also being adjusted for the other extreme, so I think "Temperature" falls under a complete adjustment in itself.

But the two adjustments are done separately---one in a freezer and one in an oven of sorts. You could adjust just for heat or just for cold.

I forgot to mention that I am carrying my Flower City Watch Company, Rochester, NY pocketwatch. It has a Chalmers patent 1882 regulator and is in a Fahy's 1884 patent case. It is an 1891 Illinois full plate movement. It has clearly been recased earlier in its life but it is still running away and keeping time within one minute gain/loss.
flower.jpg

flower2.jpg

Michaelson

One Too Many
You can blame Elgin for the 9 adjustment designation. They added that to their last round of 571 railroad watch movements in the early 1950's for marketing value, making folks think they were getting more 'bang for the buck' than their competitors, Hamilton and Waltham. You've read the facts above. They ALL had those adjustments. You just had to decide what you wanted to count as BEING an 'adjustment'. .;)

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson said:
You can blame Elgin for the 9 adjustment designation. They added that to their last round of 571 railroad watch movements in the early 1950's for marketing value, making folks think they were getting more 'bang for the buck' than their competitors, Hamilton and Waltham. You've read the facts above. They ALL had those adjustments. You just had to decide what you wanted to count as BEING an 'adjustment'. .;)

Regards! Michaelson

lol lol lol lol

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
My watch...

...and a story.

IMG_3289.jpg

Years ago my dad gave me his pocket watch - a nice 1920s Hamilton. I wore it for special occasions over the years until it stopped working. After a long while (and thanks to this site) I sent it to those lads in Sacramento for repair and cleaning. When it came back, I took it to Dad to show him.

"Looks great he said. Maybe I should do that to mine too."

"Yours? I thought this was yours."

"Oh no, he replied. This is mine."

He showed me a railroad grade South Bend watch. Turns out that he didn't wear it much because he didn't know it was lever set. He'd wait until the time was correct and wind it. He asked if we could switch, because the Hamilton was stem set and easier to use.

So I gave him the freshly serviced Hamilton.

Maybe I should ask if he has any more.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What a beautiful story, Fogey!!

I agree, lever-set watches can be a bit finicky. It would be better to give your father the crown-set watch and you take the (better) railroad lever-set one.

Is that your South Bend watch there? Could we get more photos of it? What about the Hamilton?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
That's what...

Shangas said:
What a beautiful story, Fogey!!

I agree, lever-set watches can be a bit finicky. It would be better to give your father the crown-set watch and you take the (better) railroad lever-set one.

Is that your South Bend watch there? Could we get more photos of it? What about the Hamilton?

...happened. The watch in the picture is a full up railroad watch. My dad told me it was his uncle Sidney's. He didn't work on the railroad. He worked in the shipyards in Norfolk. I guess he just wanted an accurate watch.

Mid-fogey said:
...and a story.

IMG_3289.jpg

Years ago my dad gave me his pocket watch - a nice 1920s Hamilton. I wore it for special occasions over the years until it stopped working. After a long while (and thanks to this site) I sent it to those lads in Sacramento for repair and cleaning. When it came back, I took it to Dad to show him.

"Looks great he said. Maybe I should do that to mine too."

"Yours? I thought this was yours."

"Oh no, he replied. This is mine."

He showed me a railroad grade South Bend watch. Turns out that he didn't wear it much because he didn't know it was lever set. He'd wait until the time was correct and wind it. He asked if we could switch, because the Hamilton was stem set and easier to use.

So I gave him the freshly serviced Hamilton.

Maybe I should ask if he has any more.

Sounds like a good trade to me. You know where to get it fixed and back to you in good shape. ;) :D

Warbaby

One Too Many
I posted a photo a while back of the 1893 lever-set Waltham that my grandfather gave me when I was a teenager, but I forgot to show you the japanned steel protective outer case that came with it. It was meant to be used when you were working, hunting or engaging in some other activity that put your fancy watch at risk. It's lined with dark blue velvet and fits the watch snugly enough that it doesn't fall off when you open it.

WatchCaseB5.JPG

WatchCaseB2.JPG

WatchCaseB8.JPG

Warbaby

One Too Many
BTW - does anyone know why the pocket watch thread is in General Attire & Accoutrements but the vintage watch thread is in The Display Case? Is there some sort of peculiar logic to it or is it just to confuse use when we're trying to find the thread we're looking for?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles