Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Update to my horrible photos. New ones taken with new digital camera (and knowledge of the macro function!)
dscn0013x.jpg

dscn0014y.jpg

dscn0015g.jpg

I had the Mandarin interpreters at work take a look at the medallion, and the characters on the back say "Blessing", "Longevity", "Wealth" and "Health" or "Good Health".
dscn0018hl.jpg

And this is one the FL crowd should like: A 1925 Bulova "Prince of Wales" pocket watch. It was produced to commemorate the POW's visit to the USA in 1924. I made the chain and attached it to the pin for my wife to use at work and presented it to her as a gift.
dscn0019v.jpg

Last edited:

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
I am having trouble reading the serial number on the Waltham watch. If I have it right, it is an 18 size model 1883, grade 818. The 1883 is the date that the model was designed. I think this is correct, because it is 15 jewels, 18 size, open face watch. The watch dates from about 1911.

You can verify this information by entering your serial number at http://www.nawcc-info.org and http://www.oldwatch.com/walthamdate.html/WalthamDB/LookupSN.asp

Don

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I am having trouble reading the serial number on the Waltham watch. If I have it right, it is an 18 size model 1883, grade 818. The 1883 is the date that the model was designed. I think this is correct, because it is 15 jewels, 18 size, open face watch. The watch dates from about 1911.

You can verify this information by entering your serial number at http://www.nawcc-info.org and http://www.oldwatch.com/walthamdate.html/WalthamDB/LookupSN.asp

Don
Hi Don! If you're referring to my waltham, you're just about spot on. I checked the serial number before I thought the site said it was made in 1883, but according to the site you linked it was made in 1910. I love this watch and I can't wait to get it fixed; need to hold off for a while since it's going to cost $220.

Last edited:

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
When you read the serial number date tables, choose the date with the lowest number LARGER than your number. The serial numbers correspond to the last number for that year. Even then, you can assume that the real date is that year or LATER, because the serial numbers were assigned when the watch run (usually 1000 watches) was started. Often unpopular models were sidelined during production so that more popular models could pass by.

18 size watches were falling out of popularity at this time, and 16 size watches were taken over so I would assume that the watch was not sold much later than 1910. The case is typical of this era as well.

Don

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Don - I forgot to mention the serial # is 17919545. I zoomed in on the photo and it's just readable.

I believe the watch belonged to my great grandfather, and I'm fairly sure I have a photo of him wearing it (judging by what appears to be the chain that came with it) in a photo taken around the mid 20's sometime. Thanks for the info, you sound like a bona fide expert in Walthams! :D

Incidentally, what do you think of the quoted price of $220 to strip, clean and repair this watch? I did as much checking around as I could and it sounds like a good price, but an expert opinion is always highly valued. :)

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
The price for an overhaul is reasonable. It takes a minimum of 4 hours to overhaul a watch properly. The important thing is to ask him how he overhauls a watch. He should respond that they take the watch apart to all moving parts, about 50 of the 150 parts. The parts are cleaned in a cleaning solution using a mechanical or ultrasonic clearer, followed by one or more rinses. If he talks about a combination cleaner/oiling solution, grab your watch and run (do not walk) to the door! Each part is then inspected as the watch is reassembled. Bad parts are repaired or replaced. Once assemble, the watch is oiled. Several types of oil and grease are used in specific locations. Modest adjustments are made and the watch rated. It is allowed to run in several positions for several days. If you want the watch adjusted to railroad grade standards, expect to pay more for the labor. The watchmaker should stand by the watch for several month, no matter what goes wrong (except possibly a breaking mainspring, which can happen most any time). If major repairs or part replacement is necessary, then expect to pay more.

Much of what I end up doing when I overhaul a watch is undoing earlier "repairs". Many watchmakers do not really understand how a watch functions and they create a new problem to cancel out the original problem. this only partially works. For example, there are over 20 reasons that a watch might keep a different rate dial up and dial down. The watchmaker has to figure, which of these reasons is responsible in this specific case.

You can ask the watchmaker about his training. Some are AWCI certified or WOSTEP trained. They tend to charge more and work on high end watches. Many are trained by other watchmakers. In addition to asking him how he cleans about the watch, ask him about the watch. If he know about vintage American pocket watches, he should be able to tell you what you have already learned about the make and model and some history of Waltham.

I hope this helps.

Don

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
What Don says is absolutely correct. Listen to what he is telling you. You don't want just ANYONE working on an antique pocketwatch. These things are precise, fiddly, delicate little machines. They need precise, delicate, fiddly hands to work on them. Not the hands of a blacksmith or any jewellery hack that you find down the street.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
What Don says is absolutely correct. Listen to what he is telling you. You don't want just ANYONE working on an antique pocketwatch. These things are precise, fiddly, delicate little machines. They need precise, delicate, fiddly hands to work on them. Not the hands of a blacksmith or any jewellery hack that you find down the street.

These are the guys I was considering:
http://itsabouttimebc.com/

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
If you are looking for a good watchmaker is western Canada, the only one I personally can vouch for is Doug Sinclair in Calgary, doug.sinclair@shaw.ca He may be able to help your or recommend someone closer to you.

I am an amateur watchmaker. I mostly just work on my own collection. I work for a clockmaker in PA one day a week, but I do mostly machining for him. I did not want to overhaul watches professionally, because I did not want my hobby to become a "job". I do volunteer at NAWCC (National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors), where I answer watch question sent in by any of our 20,000 members. (www.nawcc.org)

People wore their pocket watches on whatever side they preferred. The old watchmaking texts suggested that most people wore their watch on the left. This caused the watch to lean slightly pendant right (with the crystal toward the body). Watchmakers had to adjust the watch to keep the best rate in this position.

Don

dnjan

One Too Many
greeting gentlemen
I have never been sure of which side to wear the watch any thoughts
V
If I am wearing a single chain with the T-bar through a buttonhole, I prefer to wear the watch in my left (lower) waistcoat pocket.
This way, the watch can stay in the pocket if the waistcoat needs to be temporarily removed during the day.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters