Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
The Elgin is an 18 size movement dating about 1895.

If you are looking for a watchmaker, go to http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/chapter-information/find-a-chapter-and-officers and click on your state. Look for a chapter of NAWCC near you and contact once of the officers listed. As them to recommend someone. Note that the club is made up of watch people and clock people. Sometime we do not speak to each other, so you may be referred to someone else who knows watches.

It is a great deal of work to overhaul a watch properly, so expect it to cost over $100 for an overhaul. In Pennsylvania we start at about $80 for a simple cleaning, but we usually find problems that require more work. If someone says they will do it for less, run, do not walk, out of the door.

Don Dahlberg
National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) volunteer

Lefty W.

One of the Regulars
The Elgin is an 18 size movement dating about 1895.

If you are looking for a watchmaker, go to http://www.nawcc.org/index.php/chapter-information/find-a-chapter-and-officers and click on your state. Look for a chapter of NAWCC near you and contact once of the officers listed. As them to recommend someone. Note that the club is made up of watch people and clock people. Sometime we do not speak to each other, so you may be referred to someone else who knows watches.

It is a great deal of work to overhaul a watch properly, so expect it to cost over $100 for an overhaul. In Pennsylvania we start at about $80 for a simple cleaning, but we usually find problems that require more work. If someone says they will do it for less, run, do not walk, out of the door.

Don Dahlberg
National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC) volunteer

Thanks, Don. I expected at least $100 to service my Elgin to the point where it would be useable. I have contacted an officer of the local chapter of this organization. Hopefully he's a watch person and will speak to me. :D

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I was going through some of the boxes my mom gave to me and found several pocket watches. Some look to be pretty old and I'm afraid of opening them the wrong way. If I post some pictures later on this evening is there someone out there who might me able to help me out getting these open so I don't damage anything on them? I know some have "screw" covers and others hinges and such but I'm afraid of messing with them too much without a little guidance. I remember one of the large ones is a "Hamilton" but that's about all the info I have until I get back home tonight.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for the reply, Shangas. I figured out three of them after doing more extensive web searches. Here is the one I am having trouble getting open further...
IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg

IMG_0650.jpg

This one is a Hamilton. It says 940 and 21 jewels on it among other things. The case is Illinois Elgin "Giant"
IMG_0643.jpg

IMG_0640.jpg

IMG_0638.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
These are the other two. This one is from Henry Beguelin from Locle. I found some information on him on the web. Mid to late 1800's which is pretty cool.
IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

IMG_0654.jpg

IMG_0655.jpg

The first three are all about the same size. This one is much smaller...Eug. L'Hoost Cylindre Huitrubis
IMG_0656.jpg

IMG_0659.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Don Dahlberg

Familiar Face
The first watch is an English Fusee. You remove the last dust cover by sliding that blue arc in the direction of the arc. It will then release a pin that is attached to the watch. Then just pull the dust cover off.

This watch case should have English hallmarks. The hallmarks appear in several locations, so if they are not clear someplace, look for others. See http://www.925-1000.com/british_marks.html One hallmark indicates the city of assay. For example an anchor indicates Birmingham. Once you have identified the city of assay, then use the letter to date the case. There are just so many letter in the alphabet, so they use upper case, lower case, block and fancy letters. Also pay attention to the frame around the letter. Your watch is probably early 1800s by the shape of the balance cock, so any date from 1790-1840 would be the one.

The second watch is an 18 size Hamilton 940. The most popular railroad watch in the early 1900s. The watch movement was completed on June 9, 1911. It would have been cased by the retail jeweler. This is a gold filled case. This is a very collectable watch in the US. It is not uncommon, because it was so popular. It was a great watch though.

The two Swiss watches are much more difficult to date. The first one appears to be a nice medium grade watch for the time, probably in the region of 1880. It appears to be stem set and stem wind, but still can be wound with a key. This is a transitional period, so that is how I get the date. The last one is key wind, so I would date it between 1850 to 1880, but it would help to see the movement. It should be hinged and open with a knife as you did the outer cover.

None of these watches should be run without being overhauled by someone familiar with vintage watches. It would be like finding a car that lived in the barn for 50 years and starting the motor and running down the road. The oil is a bit dry and dirty.

I hope this helps.

Don Dahlberg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I can't speak for the others, but the Hamilton is a fine watch well worth restoring. And it looks to be in mint condition. Did these watches belong to someone in your family who collected pocketwatches? Father? Grandfather? Or perhaps they were family pieces collected over the generations?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'd still take the Graves watch.

patek33.jpg

In it's last public sale in 1999 it sold for $11m USD. However, it now resides in the Patek-Philippe Museum; there's no telling the price PP paid to get it back.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Are you sure that's the Graves Watch? It looks identical to the Calibre 89 Charles posted, even the hands are in the same positions. I think the Graves Watch has Roman numerals on the face.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I agree with Nick. I think that's the PP Cal./89. Can you imagine having THAT in your waistcoat pocket?

"Hey Mister! You have the time?"
"Well...let me see now..."

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Oooooh...

Fancywatch is faaaaancy.

But I can't imagine how heavy these super-complicated pocketwatches are. You'd need reinforced stitching in your pockets just to hold one!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo