Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pocketwatches

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Gin&Tonics, I noticed the Chinese coin fob on your watch-chain.

Were you also a ship's carpenter as a lad, and spend your time doing a lot of handwriting, copying out the Encyclopedia Britannica?

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Gin&Tonics, I noticed the Chinese coin fob on your watch-chain.

Were you also a ship's carpenter as a lad, and spend your time doing a lot of handwriting, copying out the Encyclopedia Britannica?

lol Ah no doubt my shiny sleeve cuff has given me away. Here I thought you'd gone and done something clever :p

In all seriousness, it's kind of neat, and 24kt gold to boot. I thought you'd appreciate both the fob and the watch :) Eventually it will get fixed...but there's such a long list of stuff to buy and so little cash to do it with >.< lol

Highlander

A-List Customer
Here is a quick photo of the cover on my Hampdon Wm McKinley watch. It is really hard to pull the detail of the engraving out on this, I"ll play with some other flash/non-flash to see if I can get the depth to show:
WatchCover-vi.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hair-woven watch-chains were common lover's tokens. A wife or a girlfriend/sweetheart/fiancee, would save her hair and then weave it into a rope or cord to give to her husband/boyfriend, as a cute little momento.

But also, it was common to cut hair off of a dead body, weave it into a rope and use that as a watch-chain. It was a memorial to the deceased. Part of Victorian mourning rituals of the 1800s.

Feraud

Bartender
Too add to what Shangas noted.. hair weaving was an entire industry with tools, accessories, and books, phamphlets on the varied methods of weaving styles.
They were indeed given as tokens of affection and mementos. In addition to the watch chains, there were also woven rings, lockets, pins, etc.
I find it an amazing but sadly mostly gone hand craft.

Edit- just found a pic of one of my watch chains.
DSC04188.jpg

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hair-weaving was a common Victorian hobby. Lots of people did it. Some people probably made a modest living out of it. As in "You give me your wife's hair, and I'll weave it and put it into a locket for you".

These days, I think some people find it creepy, but back in Victorian times, it was very common.

Hair-weaving was a common Victorian hobby. Lots of people did it. Some people probably made a modest living out of it. As in "You give me your wife's hair, and I'll weave it and put it into a locket for you".

These days, I think some people find it creepy, but back in Victorian times, it was very common.

Indeed, you will often find small ceramic/glass pots or "jars" that were on a dressing table to collect the hair for such weaving projects.

Highlander

A-List Customer
Yes, i have several MASONIC fob/charms, and my brother has a fairly extensive collection of them too. I also have my Great Grandfather's Watch (woven hair from my Great Grandma) fob/holder. I'll post some of those.

Highlander

A-List Customer
A little better view of the case on my new Hampden watch.
HampdenCaseBest-vi.jpg
I'll take some shots of my Masonic Jewels and post them in that thread.

Jayhawker

New in Town
One of my pocket watches

A couple of months ago, I bought this pocket watch on eBay. It was a bit of a leap because the listing was pretty poor with fuzzy pictures and no punctuation in the description. Fortunately, no one else bid on it and I was able to snag it rather inexpensively. As soon as I got it, I started doing research on the inscription on the inside of the back cover. Amazingly, I found out that the man that owned this watch had retired from the military and lived the remainder of his life in my town. Digging deeper, I found a slew of military records for him and have documented his service in the Boxer Rebellion, the Moro Rebellion, the Punitive Expedition, and WWI. As I mentioned, he retired as a Master Sergeant in 1924, was presented with this watch by the men in his unit, and lived the remainder of his life in my hometown. Most amazingly, I found his obituary in the local paper and, lo and behold, the watch and its inscription are mentioned as having been worn by him until the day that he died.
IMG_0342 (622x640).jpg

IMG_0344 (573x640).jpg

IMG_0346 (640x480).jpg

A couple of months ago, I bought this pocket watch on eBay. It was a bit of a leap because the listing was pretty poor with fuzzy pictures and no punctuation in the description. Fortunately, no one else bid on it and I was able to snag it rather inexpensively. As soon as I got it, I started doing research on the inscription on the inside of the back cover. Amazingly, I found out that the man that owned this watch had retired from the military and lived the remainder of his life in my town. Digging deeper, I found a slew of military records for him and have documented his service in the Boxer Rebellion, the Moro Rebellion, the Punitive Expedition, and WWI. As I mentioned, he retired as a Master Sergeant in 1924, was presented with this watch by the men in his unit, and lived the remainder of his life in my hometown. Most amazingly, I found his obituary in the local paper and, lo and behold, the watch and its inscription are mentioned as having been worn by him until the day that he died.
IMG_0342 (622x640).jpg

IMG_0344 (573x640).jpg

IMG_0346 (640x480).jpg

That was a great find! I can't understand how a relative could have let that go. I have seen it before though.

Jayhawker

New in Town
Actually, I tracked down the only relative I could find and that was a step-grandson. He told me that his father, the stepson of the watch owner, wanted very little to do with his family. Sgt. Mulvey had not children of his own and no other family is mentioned in his obituary. It sounds like this watch probably left the family not long after he passed away.

Actually, I tracked down the only relative I could find and that was a step-grandson. He told me that his father, the stepson of the watch owner, wanted very little to do with his family. Sgt. Mulvey had not children of his own and no other family is mentioned in his obituary. It sounds like this watch probably left the family not long after he passed away.

I suppose that makes sense. It is just a shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner