Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade in men's hair, ladies?

Do you like Pomade in men's hair?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ZombieGirl

One of the Regulars
As my man is the next thing to bald he keeps what he has buzzed close most of the time so I don't think I can ring in on the whole debate here. But it looks as though you'll never get an answer one way or the other. My best advice is to do what makes you feel good and find a nice girl who likes you for that! Best of luck and happy hairstyling!

Christi.adell

One of the Regulars
I like it. And if you're going to style your hair it's probably the best way to go.

I wish my husband would use it. He uses gel *shudder*. At least I've gotten him to use the higher end stuff that doesn't flake.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
Depends on the man, depends on the pomade, depends on his hair, how the pomade smells...so very many, many variables.

As long as there's an untreated portion of hair at the back along his neckline, I've got something to run my fingers through, so that works.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
My man's too tall for me to run my fingers through his hair most of the time any case! He uses Dax, it definitely suits him :) I don't mind it at all xx

Antje

One Too Many
I really love great Elvis kinda hairstyles with a lot of pomade.
And I agree with MissHannah, I don't like someone to run fingers trough my nice hairstyle, so I won't do that back either

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have been given to understand that it is also highly flammable.

Not if it's straight pomade like murrays, etc. (imagine lighting vaseline and beeswax on fire?)

Vitalis, or any of the alcohol based tonics are potentially flammable out of the bottle. Never tested it on a head, though.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Yes to Pomade

My husband sports a great pompadour and uses layrite pomade which is nice cause it is less waxy than others and washes out with regular shampoo. I myself have been experimenting with the sweet Georgia Brown purple can. I can't say I have it down though. I think this is all personal taste although let me say that my husband is a barber and lots of guys come in and want his hair but come back later and say their wife or lady friends don't like the smell of the pomades.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Bustercat said:
Not if it's straight pomade like murrays, etc. (imagine lighting vaseline and beeswax on fire?)

Vitalis, or any of the alcohol based tonics are potentially flammable out of the bottle. Never tested it on a head, though.

This is derailing the thread a lot, but murrays with hair as wicks (as is always the case on the top of my head) would seem to be hundreds of little candles, just waiting to light up.

Vaseline burns very well if you have a wick, and there is a reason candles are made of wax. That said, it is not really the dramatic flammable, but I guess any fire on top of your head is rather dramatic.

SheBear74

Practically Family
My husband switches between Vitalis and Crew pomade, both make his hair smell good and gives a nice shine. I can still run my fingers through it just fine ;) I do prefer the pomade over the Vitalis, seems a little softer.

Marla

A-List Customer
Like this.
4813729578_0fce758306_b.jpg

Mav

A-List Customer
Edward said:
I have been given to understand that it is also highly flammable.
I wonder how many of us just went running to our various hair dressings with a Bic lighter? OK, maybe I'm the only pyro.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
Perfection! <3 Al Bowlly! Wouldn't want to touch that and mess it up. It's a sculpture to be worshipped :D

if it's well done it does look nice but I wouldn't want to get anywhere near it. really though whatever looks best on the guy, long, short, military buzz, it's fine with me. but if there's hair, I do prefer clean. I don't gunk up my own very often either, so when I had the victory rolls done it was really hard for me to deal with

It's interesting what you ladies have to say on the subject. I thought this would be a very pro-pomade place. I use Tres Flores and Vitalis when I work or when I'm going to be going on a far car ride (I like to drive with the windows down) and weekends were not only made for Michelob, they were also made for Brylcreem! If you don't use too much, you get a nice wet looking shine!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I like it, and voted yes, but pomade is one of those when its good, its very very good, and when its bad aaaagh run away type looks. I adore on a guy with THICK hair and a fairly fit body - and really find it unforgiving on men without both of these things in place.

It will just look sad and greasy if your hair isn't full, and just less sexy than other options if you are either too soft or too thin. Know thyself. Same as a lot of girls' styles, its not for everybody.

Derek WC

Banned
Sorry for not posting in a while, been busy. But anyway, here is my newly greased up head.

IMG_0365.jpg

I thought I'd put my mug in there seeing what Viola said about different hair suiting different people's faces and whatnot.

IMG_0366.jpg

For this I used Groom and clean, which is kind of like Brylcreem, except not so good of a hold, and Murray's Super Light for hold.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Alright, so I actually got around to ordering Brylcreem. I'll post a picture or two of myself with my hair styled with it. Should be about a week.

Miss Sis

One Too Many
As long as there's not too much of it junking things up - like my pillowcases or sofa, then go for it. My chap uses Brylcreem rather than an actual pomade and he wears more for evening than for day.

I'm totally with the 'Don't touch the hair!' ladies. If I've spent ages doing mine, I don't want it messed up and I'm not going to mess his.

I love the Al Bowley pic. Swoon!

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Miss Sis said:
As long as there's not too much of it junking things up - like my pillowcases or sofa, then go for it. My chap uses Brylcreem rather than an actual pomade and he wears more for evening than for day.

I'm totally with the 'Don't touch the hair!' ladies. If I've spent ages doing mine, I don't want it messed up and I'm not going to mess his.

4099006712_16d14aaff1_b.jpg

An antimacassar

is a small cloth placed over the backs or arms of chairs, or sofas. Historically, the Edwardian male penchant for oiling one's coiffure continued into Victorian times; necessitating the invention of washable decorative fabric blotters. They are still used in luxury rail lines and immaculate Japanese taxis. The name is derived from the Indian unguent for the hair commonly used in the early 19th century, macassar oil— the poet Byron called it, "thine incomparable oil, Macassar." They first came to have elaborate patterns, often in matching sets for the various items of parlour furniture; they were either made at home using a variety of techniques such as crochet or tatting, or purchased from drapers.
The original antimacassar was often made of white crochet-work, stiffened and uncomfortable, but in the third quarter of the 19th century it became simpler and was made of soft coloured stuffs, usually worked with a simple pattern in tinted wools or silk.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk