Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salv said:
I always found Murray's a bit too heavy and very tough to wash out. I prefer Sweet Georgia Brown in the blue tin on freshly washed hair, topped up daily with the lighter SGB in the red tin. I did read on another thread in the Lounge that SGB has been bought by Murray's - can anyone confirm that?
Yup, they are now owned by Murray's. Here is their new website:
http://sweetgeorgiabrownpomade.com/
Unfortunately, I see no purchasing info on this site. SGB in the blue can ain't easy to find in the U.S!

griffer

Practically Family
I started with Murray's, but I have light weight, straight hair, so I switched to Murray's light.
I moved away from the Murray's, and on to a tackier product, two actually by Bumble & Bumble. These allow me to get more volume in my pomp when I want it. They are also water soluble.

I have also tried a product called LayRite. Great tin. It is water soluble as well, but has more vintage appeal.

can_lid_blk_bgd_large.JPG

Salv

One Too Many
flat-top said:
Yup, they are now owned by Murray's. Here is their new website:
http://sweetgeorgiabrownpomade.com/
Unfortunately, I see no purchasing info on this site. SGB in the blue can ain't easy to find in the U.S!

Thanks for that flat-top - there is still a seller with some tins on UK eBay, charging £4.45 per tin + shipping (they ship internationally too).

The SGB site says that the blue is softer than the red, so I wonder if Murray's have changed the formula.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Salv said:
Thanks for that flat-top - there is still a seller with some tins on UK eBay, charging £4.45 per tin + shipping (they ship internationally too).

The SGB site says that the blue is softer than the red, so I wonder if Murray's have changed the formula.
Hmm...I hope not! The blue can, for me has(had?) the perfect hold. The red is more greasy like Royal Crown, and that doesn't work for me at all!

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
I have light (and yes, short) hair. So far my favorite has been Murray's with Beeswax. Lighter than Murray's (though I often mix the two), but incredibly stiff. I would like to try NuNile but haven't seen it around.

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
pigeon toe said:
5 months worth?! My boyfriend uses up a tin of Murray's in about a month! Then again, my boyfriend wears his hair in a 50's pompadour, so its quite long in the front. You must have short hair to make that tin last 5 months!

Perhaps a bit of an exaggeration. Maybe three? I don't imagine your boyfriend's lasting that long!

Sir Dobbs

New in Town
reetpleat said:
...Not so sure if it was intended for white guys though. Most of the old cans have pics of african americans and recommend putting it on and wearing a doo rag overnight to set it. They may have changed the cans since. Also, I think there are two types, one is a much heavier set.

cats013.jpg

There's at least two of us!

Hammelby

One of the Regulars
BLACK DIAMOND!

Uh, i quitted that murrays.. the orange one at least.
It seriously took me 3-4 hairwashes to get out, and combing with that just pulled way to many of my hairs out (yes im aging :rolleyes: )

What i REEEALY recomens is a pomade brand called "Black Diamond", extra hold. Its soft to the touch, and smells like lemon, and holds and greases increadbly well. And the best is, it washes out first time!
(im unsure if its sold in the US, but rockabillies in Sweden uses it alot).

Ms. McGraw

One of the Regulars
I know that my gentleman friend uses a mix of half Murray’s (the heavier weight) and half Royal Crown, as do several of his friends. As for getting it out, I make sure he washes his hair with a good clarifying shampoo. This seems to remove it well. If you’re in a real pinch, and have really used too much pomade Dawn dishwashing liquid can be used to wash it out of both hair, and pillow cases. ICK! There is NOTHING worse than the feeling of a greasy pillow case against one’s face!

reetpleat said:
Not so sure if it was intended for white guys though. Most of the old cans have pics of african americans and recommend putting it on and wearing a doo rag overnight to set it. They may have changed the cans since. Also, I think there are two types, one is a much heavier set.

No, you are right. My wife used to work in the beauty products industry for a few years and she tells me Murray's was actually designed for that demographic.
They call it an "ethnic hair product" but white people used it because it is cheaper than caucasian hair products. :p

Regards,

J

kools

Practically Family
I've used 'em all...currently settled on American Greaser Supply 40 wt. Not as thick as Murray's but not as greasy as Royal Crown.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Hammelby said:
Uh, i quitted that murrays.. the orange one at least.
It seriously took me 3-4 hairwashes to get out, and combing with that just pulled way to many of my hairs out (yes im aging :rolleyes: )

What i REEEALY recomens is a pomade brand called "Black Diamond", extra hold. Its soft to the touch, and smells like lemon, and holds and greases increadbly well. And the best is, it washes out first time!
(im unsure if its sold in the US, but rockabillies in Sweden uses it alot).

I guess I am not such a diehard anymore. I use a light dressing made for african americans, but not at all greasy, and when I want a vintage look, I use a product called stiff, which holds pretty well. You can't recomb it, and it is stiff, but you can wash it out easily and no greasy feel. If it worked for my hair and wasn't so expensive I would opt for some of the modern salon pomades.

Man, you should have seen my shower. I had to clean it all the time to get the sludge off.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I've tried Murray's, Murray's Superlight, Nu-Nile, Royal Crown Hairdressing, Royal Crown Pomade, Black and White, Black Magic, Dixie Peach, and even the Crew stuff. Murray's regular is just WAY too thick for my hair. I'm trying to get a more 60s pompadour now and have been using gel, brylcreem and hairspray. It washes out so much easier and I swear my hair and scalp are both healthier now. I've only been pomade free for about a week now but I think it's already noticable. We'll see how long I can lay off the stuff, it really is addicting.

Salv

One Too Many
Speaking of Royal Crown, there's a double CD compilation of Nashville R&B and soul that has a Royal Crown radio advert made by Little Richard for the Gene Nobles show on WLAC "...even ol' Long Tall Sally use it...I goes for the girls with that Royal Crown look, 'cos man, hmm, She's Got It!"
You can hear the whole thing here - click on the link for Little Richard: WLAC commercial

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
I use the red tin of Sweet Georgia Brown. I have a new tin and an older one. I am annoyed at the new font they are using now with the newer tin - it is comic sans or something similar.

:( New tin ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Old tin :cry:

SweetGeorgiaBrown.jpg

Salv

One Too Many
Mr. 'H' said:
I use the red tin of Sweet Georgia Brown. I have a new tin and an older one. I am annoyed at the new font they are using now with the newer tin - it is comic sans or something similar.

Where did you find the old tin?

matei

One Too Many
The "regular" Murrays is way to heavy, and very hard to wash out.

However, I use the beeswax-based version that Murrays puts out (in the yellow plastic "tin") and it is fine. It is very easy to wash out, and holds great.

FredDairy

Familiar Face
I may just be stating the obvious but these pomade threads are lacking photos of those heads using the mentioned brand. Everyone has probably got a diferent head of hair, and a different cut, which probably leads to the product usage discrepancies among posters.

Astrobeej

New in Town
FredDairy said:
I may just be stating the obvious but these pomade threads are lacking photos of those heads using the mentioned brand. Everyone has probably got a diferent head of hair, and a different cut, which probably leads to the product usage discrepancies among posters.

I've been using Murray's Super Light for the cast of "The Smiling Man".

ThePhoto.jpg

It looks good and holds well, but man do my actors bitch, moan and whine about washing it out after a shoot! It takes two or three washings with dishsoap to get it completely out!

Beej

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112