Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Can you use pomade every day? And is it important to wash it all out every time?
I don't wash my hair every day (normally every 3 days or so, much healthier for the hair). I like it best when I don't have to put in more pomade every day, but then again, I do not go full out greaser (a little dab will do ya), so there isn't very much. If my hair is not behaving, I will use a bit more, but that all depends.

Travis Lee Johnston

Practically Family
I find the heavier stuff(Murray's) wont give me as bad of bed head as the lighter and greasier jellies. A fine tooth comb, some moisture, and a blowdryer in the morning will do the trick of making your hair managable and stay in place the next day with little or no added pomade. Plus it gets out that annoying lint and fuzzies that collect while you sleep.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Does anybody know when Dax was founded, or some of it's products were introduced? Dax Wave and Groom is my favorite hair product, and I'm going to be buying another can soon, as I'm almost out. I was wondering about a little history of my favorite brand. Thanks!

DJH

I'll Lock Up
JB, you'll find info on the Imperial Dax site

"Founded as the Imperial DAX Company nearly half a century ago in a garage in Brooklyn, New York, by entrepreneur Herman Bley, DAX is a rapidly growing global multicultural hair care company that manufactures, markets and distributes a variety of products including waxes, cremes, shampoos, conditioners, gels, oils and pomades."

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Thank you for the quick response DJH. I tried to see if they had a website, but it was very hard for me to try to locate that one for some reason.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dax Wave and Groom is a quick and dirty alternative to the ridiculously overpriced "scenester" brands. I recommend it highly as well.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
I just wanted to buy a new can of Sweet Georgia Brown on EBay and what do I get? This:

"Unfortunately, access to this particular listing or item has been blocked due to a Paris commercial court decision that bans trade of certain authentic perfumes and cosmetic products on eBay because of French selective distribution laws. eBay is appealing this ruling but is nevertheless required to enforce it. We are blocking your viewing in an effort to comply with this court decision. Regrettably, in some cases, we may prevent users from accessing items that are not within the scope of the decision because of limitations on existing technology."

I've had the same message on the German, US and UK sites...this is gross!

Undertow

...so here I am warming up some Murray's with a blow dryer, and slathering it into my roots and all over my tendrils generously. See, Murray's Super Light is AWESOME, but you need to add a little each day, right? So I figure I'll set my hair with Murray's first, then add Super Light as I go. Oh...my...

So after about a week, my scalp starts itching and I figure it's about time to wash the hair out. A little Dawn and...nothing. Murray's is some tough stuff. So I try Dawn another night with some shampoo. Nothing. Now I'm desperate.

You know what eventually got it out? About a palm full of Groom&Clean. Yep, left it in 24 hours and everything washed right out.

So if you're looking for a way to get rid of Murray's, just slap in some G&C!
(I hope this hasn't already been posted...I'll feel a little silly having scoured the internet before looking here!)

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
and slathering it into my roots and all over my tendrils generously.

:eeek:

I scoop out about a teaspoon's worth, spread that around on my fingertips only, and run it through my hair. repeat if necessary. I only put in enough to hold my hair where I want it, it makes getting rid of the stuff a little bit easier. (*avatar pic not current*)

IsaacRN

One of the Regulars
I have to say I have really been enjoying three products as of late. Dapper Man pomade which I know has been discussed here. Schmere pomade which is produced in Germany. Great pomade that is not water soluble but washes out easily, and knockout pomade. Knockout is a water-soluble along the lines of Layrite and Grants, but its just another nice variety

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I've read some thirty pages here, and there are lots and lots of different brands, advice, etc.
I wonder what would help my hairdo, my hair is very thick, stiff and springy. I do a timeless split (like Carey Grant), but the only thing that seem to work is three layers of very strong hair spray on day 1, and then I can get by with only 1 application a day. Of course, after sports, or when it gets greasy after 3 days, it needs a washing.
I've tried gel, but it doesn't hold well and looks strange.
I'm not a fan of the wetlook, but am eager to try a good pommade.
I would suggest Brylcream. Others with your hair type swear by it. I can't use it myself because the lanolin content makes my already softer textured hair too limp.

flat-top

I've had some success with this:

dax_vegshampoo.jpg

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I use dishwashing detergent. I apply it to my hair while it's dry, then I add water, massaging it to a lather before I rinse it out. After that, I usually heat up some extra virigin olive oil (it's to thick if it's cold) let it cool a bit, and then add some shampo before I lather that combo up and rinse it out.
I haven't had any problem rinsing pomade out using that method. (I don't use murrays anymore, it makes my hair feel like a shell, but I use the aforementioned method when i have schmiere knuppelhart in my hair, and it works perfectly.)

Right now, my favorite hair products are;
Brylcreem (My hair is thick)
Tres Flores Brilliantine (not the liquid kind)
Schmiere Hart und knuppelhart (I only use it if the hair on my sides are long, if I have short sides, I only use Tres Flores & Brylcreem)

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Hi all,
Does anybody face The same problem as me with pomade and hats. When i apply pommade and wear a hat within a vert short amount Of time m'y hair smells as if i hadn't washed it for weeks. Worse if it was slightly damp when applying pommade. I thought this was normal due to 'hat head' but if i use bryl creme i don't have The problem.
Soory

TheLimey

Familiar Face
Hi all,
Does anybody face The same problem as me with pomade and hats. When i apply pommade and wear a hat within a vert short amount Of time m'y hair smells as if i hadn't washed it for weeks. Worse if it was slightly damp when applying pommade. I thought this was normal due to 'hat head' but if i use bryl creme i don't have The problem.
Sorry if this question has been adnés before, but reading The chôme thread on a mobile device is somewhat hard...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points