Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pomade

Jovan

Suspended
Maybe you should use less then -- it would hold it in place just as well. A compromise, if you will. Men's hair should be able to have fingers run through it, even with product. That's probably why she's grossed out. ;) With both short and long, I would like to be able to do as much with a woman's hair. Makes a kiss that much more tender. [huh]

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Jovan said:
Maybe you should use less then -- it would hold it in place just as well. A compromise, if you will. Men's hair should be able to have fingers run through it, even with product. That's probably why she's grossed out. ;) With both short and long, I would like to be able to do as much with a woman's hair. Makes a kiss that much more tender. [huh]

Your probably right, I will compromise part of the time. I told her I would tone it down some during the week, but this cut really looks good when slicked with pomade/grease. I bought some Crew Grooming cream today to experiment with. But weekends it greaser style for me, it's just who I've become, I like listening to rockabilly and swing, and it just seems natural to have the hairstyle to go with the jeans and boots I wear. Hopefully she will comer to accept it more.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
brylcreem boy said:
Hopefully she will comer to accept it more.

I can't understand any gal who doesn't love that look. It is just damn sexy!

Pomade does smell a little nasty, but there are a couple like Dixie Peach and Sweet Georgia Brown that have a lovely signature smell to them.

Also to those gents here who grease - black pillow cases are key.

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:
I can't understand any gal who doesn't love that look. It is just damn sexy!

Pomade does smell a little nasty, but there are a couple like Dixie Peach and Sweet Georgia Brown that have a lovely signature smell to them.

Also to those gents here who grease - black pillow cases are key.

Thanks Kitty, it's nice to be appreciated! It's not easy being Greasy!! I have some of the Sweet Georgia Brown- red can and blue can, my girl does like the smell of those and also the Black and White I sometimes use. My pillow cases are dark blue and I change them frequentlly and like I told her anyway, your not suppose to mess with a Greasers hair anyway!! LOL....... I've never tried the Dixie Peach, have never been able to find it in stores here.

Merry Christmas All!!!!

Bama Mike

Familiar Face
I've found this entire thread to be fascinating and very entertaining. I've been experimenting with a mixture of two products lately -a one to one ratio of Groom and Clean with a product by Paul Mitchell called "Wax Works." The more hold needed then the more Wax Works is used. I'm letting my hair grow out (while it still can) so I'm digging out what old products I had stashed away and am searching for new ones to try.

rlandrews3rd

New in Town
I've been using "Voodoo Brew" by High Life Pomade for about a year now. It holds well and doesn't melt. I put that to the test when I was in Las Vegas last July. No melting, even in the hottest part of the day. It washes out with regular shampoo, and has a nice scent.

skbellis

One of the Regulars
updates

Scotrace,

Please keep us posted on your Sweet Georgia Brown progress. Has anyone tried Top Brass groom cream by Revlon?

http://www.americarx.com/Products/9129.html

I picked some up on clearence at Walgreens. I thought it might be like Brylcream (which doesn't hold my hair so well), but I really like it. It is a light hold and my hair doesn't frizz out. I see that Top Brass also has a hair thickener (which I don't need...my hair is too thick as it is) and also an anti-dandruff cream.

Figures that when I find something I like that the Walgreens by me is going to discontinue it...lol.

One conoction I like for more hold type days is mixing American Crew grooming cream with the American Crew Pomade. I microwave them for about 10 or 15 seconds pour equal parts into a seperate container and stir them together.

Cheers,

---Scott

Herr Hitman

One of the Regulars
I have tried it all, and am now a Layrite man. I have super thick hair, so Murrays wont come out.. EVER, neither do any of the petroleum based pomades.

Layrite also makes a Super Hold pomade, which is for sale on the website now. I think I might try that out, to cut down on maintenance.

Psykik

New in Town
I remember Tenax by R&G and promise you that it no longer exists.

I used it quite a bit in the early to mid 1980's and still proudly have an (empty) bottle of it displayed in the bathroom as a memento of my (hair's) youth!

Alex Oviatt said:
Does anyne remeber Tenax? It was great stuff but I haven't seen it in the shops for years.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Psykik said:
I remember Tenax by R&G and promise you that it no longer exists.

I used it quite a bit in the early to mid 1980's and still proudly have an (empty) bottle of it displayed in the bathroom as a memento of my (hair's) youth!

That is a shame--I can still smell it!

Psykik

New in Town
I remember it fondly. Now it has been so long that I cannot for sure report whether or not it was so much better than the other things I now use, or has become a legend in my mind.

For the most part, as a gel I prefer the Firm Hold version of American Crew. Tenax did keep things in place and made it look wet. Talking about Wet, that was a product that I enjoyed for a while too. Tenax was probably more like Wet than the American Crew.

Alex Oviatt said:
That is a shame--I can still smell it!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
scotrace said:
Well, all three varieties of Sweet Georgia Brown showed up in yesterday's mail.

Red today. It doesn't seem to stiffen up like Murray's.

So far.

So Scotrace what is your verdict on the 3 varieties of Sweet Georgia Brown???.. I've heard many times that they have a pleasing smell the ladies dig... have not heard much about hold, combability and shine

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like them all three lots! I personally like the fragrance a lot. Can't vouch for the smell re: ladies as I've got no one to smell it who would give a rat's bum, but the regular hold wax is great for every day (I can get it all out with one washing because I need very little), but it does tend to melt in hot sun. The heavy duty stuff is more like Murray's, but easier to manage, good for the hot days, and I use water-based on weekends when I don't mind my hair in my face now and then. All very comb-able, and I have not trouble at all with it stiffening up. The wax varieties are actually at their best after about 12 hours.
It's great stuff and not expensive at all. I think I had $21 in all three tins. Because I use so little, these will last a couple of years.

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
Please allow me to endorse Sweet Georgia Brown further...
It's heavy enough for the heat and humidity in Texas and yet still light enough to run a comb through and give an amazing, almost "wet" shine.
GREAT product no matter which formula you get. I use the blue myself since I prefer a much stronger hold.
Sweet Georgia Brown is TOPS!

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Herr Hitman said:
I have tried it all, and am now a Layrite man. I have super thick hair, so Murrays wont come out.. EVER, neither do any of the petroleum based pomades.

Layrite also makes a Super Hold pomade, which is for sale on the website now. I think I might try that out, to cut down on maintenance.

Layrite is good stuff... to me it's best for shorter pomps that are high and tight. It just seems like you have to use a lot and it's not cheap. At a friends urging I am ordering a can of their new Super Hold. he swears by it and says it's awesome for his really thick hair. Herr Hitman did you try it yet?? My friend was telling me that occasionally he will mix it with Dax Wave and Groom for extreme hold that will not move period!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24