Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Portland: Bogart's

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I just found this eatery online and plan on visiting it tomorrow:

Bogart's
Dedicated to Humphrey's memory, this novel, quirky little eatery features Bogart paraphenalia of every imaginable ilk everywhere you look. Tucked into the second floor of the Galleria shopping complex, Humphrey's serves up burgers, hot and cold sandwiches, and salads -- food that's fairly typical American diner fare, though distinguished with titles referring to the restaurant's namesake. Order a Maltese Falcon if a turkey sandwich is what you have in mind, or The Big Sleep for hot pastrami with Swiss.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Unfortunately I never made inside the place. I tried to go there for lunch but it was closed. I tried calling there late afternoon.....same story. It might only be opened during the week. I did look in the windows though. It looks like fun. I hope to try again some time.

Travis

Suspended
MK said:
Unfortunately I never made inside the place. I tried to go there for lunch but it was closed. I tried calling there late afternoon.....same story. It might only be opened during the week. I did look in the windows though. It looks like fun. I hope to try again some time.

I know this thread is VERY old, but I was just curious as to whether you ever made it there or not? I might have to go check it out myself, but a good word or bad word from you would be a nice helper in putting priority to it.

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Wow. This IS an old thread.

I did make it in a few times. I stopped in for lunch and ordered a burger since that seemed to be their specialty. I asked the gal who took my order if the owner comes in very often. She said yes. To make a long story short, it ended up being the owner.

Now....this gal didn't look like a Bogart fan. She had a 1970's look and looked she would be happier on the back of a Harley listening to Fog Hat.

She said two guys started a Bogart's in Beaverton, did well with it, then opened another in Portland. It didn't work out and they sold out to a couple of gals who fumbled very quickly and sold to the current biker chick....who couldn't care less about Bogie.

I tried to get some info from her about the original owners...but she didn't bite. I figured I would enjoy meeting them. They probably would make great members here too.

Anyway, I stopped in for lunch once in a while. Then one day I walked in and all the Bogart stuff was gone. She said her brother was putting it all on e-bay.

My only reason for going there was gone....and I have never returned.

It is really sad that the original guy's vision ended up in the hands of the wrong people.

Travis

Suspended
MK said:
Wow. This IS an old thread.

I did make it in a few times. I stopped in for lunch and ordered a burger since that seemed to be their specialty. I asked the gal who took my order if the owner comes in very often. She said yes. To make a long story short, it ended up being the owner.

Now....this gal didn't look like a Bogart fan. She had a 1970's look and looked she would be happier on the back of a Harley listening to Fog Hat.

She said two guys started a Bogart's in Beaverton, did well with it, then opened another in Portland. It didn't work out and they sold out to a couple of gals who fumbled very quickly and sold to the current biker chick....who couldn't care less about Bogie.

I tried to get some info from her about the original owners...but she didn't bite. I figured I would enjoy meeting them. They probably would make great members here too.

Anyway, I stopped in for lunch once in a while. Then one day I walked in and all the Bogart stuff was gone. She said her brother was putting it all on e-bay.

My only reason for going there was gone....and I have never returned.

It is really sad that the original guy's vision ended up in the hands of the wrong people.

Hmmm. I wish that story had ended differently. I'm glad I didn't waste my time going to check it out though. Any other cool places you know of in the area?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

Plenty. Portland has a lot of interesting places. One of my favorite is the Benson hotel. It has two great restaurants. The London Grill reminds me a bit of the architecture of Rick's. The hotel bar is a great place to sit have a drink and listen to a bit of jazz.

Ringside Steakhouse has old school waiters and great food.

There are so many. We should catch lunch one of these days after I get back from London, and I will share what I know.

PM me in February and we will do it. Perhaps we can gather together a few of the other local members to join us.

Travis

Suspended
MK said:
Plenty. Portland has a lot of interesting places. One of my favorite is the Benson hotel. It has two great restaurants. The London Grill reminds me a bit of the architecture of Rick's. The hotel bar is a great place to sit have a drink and listen to a bit of jazz.

Ringside Steakhouse has old school waiters and great food.

There are so many. We should catch lunch one of these days after I get back from London, and I will share what I know.

PM me in February and we will do it. Perhaps we can gather together a few of the other local members to join us.

I've been to the London Grill. It's actually my favorite restaurant. I'll definately drop you a line in February.

moustache

Practically Family
Count me in as well!

Travis said:
:) :) :)
The more the better I say.

Funny,i just came across this thread now!!!I had been to the Bogies MK speaks of a few years ago and was disappointed as well.Never had lunch there.Just didn't seem like a "friendly" place.
Portland has a delightful array of wonderful restaraunts.The Benson,as mentioed is fun.The Heathman and Ringside (both) are good.

I have lived here for 22 years and still only scratched the surface!!!

Countme in on any planned lunches or ????

JD

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Bogart's in Raleigh, NC

If you are ever in Raleigh, NC you need to try this Bogarts:

http://www.bogartsamericangrill.com/contact.asp

Not much of a burger joint, but a little more upper class restuarant. They have photos of Bogie all around the resturant and they have big screens that they continuously show Bogie's films. The funniest picture that I have seen is near the restrooms. It is Bogie, Lauren, and Marilyn Monroe. Bogie is cleary looking down Marilyns very buxom cleavage and Lauren laughing behind him. It is a good resturarnt, but can be pricey. It is mine and my wife's favorite resturant and gives me a chance to really dress up 40's style. My avatar is from Valentines day last year. I just got back from Bogarts and it was taken in my home.

Gray Ghost

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

beaucaillou said:
Hey, I'd love to get in on that jazz too!

That is good to know.

You might want to update the location field in your profile. I don't know where on the planet stumptown is and my guess is that most people are scratching their heads too. I am glad to learn you are in the area and I look forward to all of us getting together soon.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
MK said:
That is good to know.

You might want to update the location field in your profile. I don't know where on the planet stumptown is and my guess is that most people are scratching their heads too. I am glad to learn you are in the area and I look forward to all of us getting together soon.

Yes, I'm also looking forward to it! Being still new here, I'd like to get a further lay of the land.

I think picking Portland's nickname in my profile was a choice motivated somewhet by denial. I still think of myself as a Chicagoan. In fact, I wonder how long it will be until I *don't* think of myself as a Chicagoan. At any rate, fair point. Guess I should just suck it up.

Brooksie

One Too Many
Another cool restraunt in Portland is Hueber's (I might not be spelling it right) I think I have heard that they are the oldest restaraunt and bar in down town Portland. The inside is all pretty much original, I think it was built around the turn of the century. Plus they make a mean spanish coffee, this is what they are known for, if you ever try one here all others will pale in comparison, none will ever taste as good. It is a real show to watch them make one, they make it right at your table but I do not drink anymore and have not for about 10 years. However it is still fun to watch them make one of their famous spanish coffee's! And Hueber's is a lovely place to dine.

Brooksie

matei

One Too Many
MK said:
She had a 1970's look and looked she would be happier on the back of a Harley listening to Fog Hat.

Fog Hat? Eeek...

It is a shame indeed when a good idea falls into the wrong hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred