Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Possible Suit Disaster?

Brasshat

New in Town
I had a very pristine looking 1950's, heavy wool double breasted jacket hanging on the shower rod, with vinegar and hot water in the tub, in an attempt to remove a slightly foul odor in the jacket.

It was fine for a about an hour until the rod fell and plunged the coat into the hot water and vinegar, Can it be saved? it looks like it shrunk instantly!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I would imagine the worst danger is shrinkage. I'll bet if you just let it drip dry and then either dry clean it, or just have it pressed, it should be fine.

Idledame

Practically Family
I'm sure you know not to put it in a dryer. You could probably lay it between 2 towels and gently blot some of the water out of it so it isn't dripping wet. But you may be right about the instant shrinkage...hot water and wool.....! From what I know about shrunken wool sweaters, it is permanent you can never get it back to the original size.

4and1

One of the Regulars
Wool garments should be layed flat to dry to prevent shrinkage. I don't know of any way to reverse the damage, but I hope it's not too bad. Good luck with it.

Generally, when I have an article of clothing with odor I will hang it in the breeze for as long as it takes to lose the smell. Usually days, inside and rightside out. Then clean as required.

And make sure the lining is completely wet or it will leave a watermark.

donCarlos

Practically Family
No idea for you, but I didn't know about that vinegar trick. I'll have to try it, I have one jacket with that "old wool odour". You just hang it above a tub full of hot water with how much vinegar?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
If it did not shrink ,it will still be hard to get it pressed nicely, but just give it your best shot. if it did shrink, I have heard that soaking it in hair conditioner and then stretching will help unshrink a seater, maybe that would work.

As for smell, spray it with baking soda mixed in water. It is a miracle solution. it gets that fu nky arm pit smell out of vintage when nothing else will.

Brasshat

New in Town
It LIVES! The coat is back from the cleaners without any noticible change.
Unfortunately that includes the odor in the arm pits. So if I can get that corrected I am in business.

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
The suggestion above to simply air the garment out is great - if it was just about anything other than underarm odor. Here is my suggestion (I sell vintage, I have actually tried this on multile garments.)

Vodka. Like removes like, and vodka works for the same reason vinegar does. But in this case, you directly soak the problem area. It evaporates quickly, taking your stinky armpit smell with it. I have only had one material that this damaged, a crepe, so your suit should be safe. Do "test on an inconspicuous area" as all the warnings on boxes tell you! Good luck!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Agreed. that underarm funk is almost impossible ot get out. There is a thread on it.

Vodka? Good tip. I will have to try it. Baking soda works great, but it leaves a ring sometimes. Just powdery, so not hard to get out, but a pain. Does Vodka ever leave a ring in the lining?

The only other thing tht works is to thouroghly saturate and soap wash and rinse the underarms. Pity he didn't do that when it was already wet. but He should be able to fix it.

Brasshat said:
After several applications of vodka, the smell is greatly dimininished. Good tip!:eusa_clap

I've found all sorts of things to be greatly diminished after several applications of vodka. A magic elixir, for sure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner