Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Thedi Leather Jacket Photos Here........

Sabir Asaria

New in Town
Long time lurker. First custom jacket (through Thurston Bros.)

Espresso Buffalo, custom lining.

Browns are hard to capture under the best conditions, so I'm not sure how much justice these pictures are doing for the leather but I'm really interested to see how this wears over time...As for the lining, Thedi had posted a jacket done with this lining on social media when I made my order and thought it might look nice with this leather. I'm sure not to everyone's taste but I'm digging it...and of course the fit and finish feels spot on. Hopefully first of many.

Beautiful Jacket... Fit pics pls!! :D:D

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
To be honest, I’ve always had an issue with the wavy zippers seen on Thedi jackets. The one on your jacket does not seem as extreme. However, a lot of the jackets displayed on Thedi’s website seem to have an excessive amount which unfortunately would be a deal breaker for me. Personally, they really distract from the clean lines I like having on my jackets.

I don't see it, could you share some examples? Here's a pic of my (washed and waxed) Thedi aviator and one of my Aero Grizzly. The Aero shows what I call a wavy zipper.

9FE9474A-13B6-4E97-A3EF-62E87A1BD506.jpeg
BCCCBA02-EE42-4350-BDA9-02ADECF44BC6.jpeg

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

Call Me a Cab
Unless I'm mistaken, the zipper is something he could sew on at the very end. I get why you wouldn't want to precondition leather before constructing since there is waste when making the jacket. So the zipper could be sewn on after the treatment. It's worth asking him about it.

Schott does the "hand vintaging" as well. Which is basically washing and throwing in the dryer (aka the Shrinki method). And you can see the wavy zippers clearly. I don't mind it on some looks (i.e. more weathered/teacore, cross zips, etc.). But it does detract on a simple straight zip that needs to be sleek. Anyway, these companies are not dumb, wondering if we're missing something obvious:

190201_SCHOTTNYC_FW19_DAY_01_14777lowres1.jpg

503VN_BLK_SDE1.jpg

PER41_BLK_SDE1.jpg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Back in the early 2000s Prada sold leather jackets washed with wavy everything. It was considered premium, the extra steps to get the washed look. Nothing is wrong with wrinkled leather/zipper. It will still function as it should. Just a look thing. But this only applies to thinner leather (3oz or thinner). There is no way you can wavy a thick leather jacket. All moto jackets gets soaked and baked in the sun one time or another. None of them gets wavy anything. None of them cost four digits. It's just a different design feature, has nothing to do with function.
Washing and heat dry actually tightens the leather. My washed Prada Lambskin lasted more than 20 years. It was my go to on plane rides. I've had zipper failures on expensive repro jackets with much less mileage than that. It's not Thedi but the wash and dry and wavy zipper is the same.
Prada Aviator fit Brown Sheep 00.jpg

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
Unless I'm mistaken, the zipper is something he could sew on at the very end. I get why you wouldn't want to precondition leather before constructing since there is waste when making the jacket. So the zipper could be sewn on after the treatment. It's worth asking him about it.

Schott does the "hand vintaging" as well. Which is basically washing and throwing in the dryer (aka the Shrinki method). And you can see the wavy zippers clearly. I don't mind it on some looks (i.e. more weathered/teacore, cross zips, etc.). But it does detract on a simple straight zip that needs to be sleek. Anyway, these companies are not dumb, wondering if we're missing something obvious:

190201_SCHOTTNYC_FW19_DAY_01_14777lowres1.jpg

503VN_BLK_SDE1.jpg

PER41_BLK_SDE1.jpg
schott distressing looks bad to me... 99.999% will miss your creasing I bet. Thedi's distressing looks much natural, however I don't love wavy zipper, not sure if it impact it's function if you carefully paying attention when zipping up and down with extra care but i imagine if you zip it up carelessly (or absentmindedly) it will snag a little everytime on the wavy part resulting in unnecesary yank to go through it and overtime it will wear down that particular zipper tooth and the tape on each kink, and once the tooth goes out of synch from one too many yanking, will quickly escalate to premature zipper replacement.

Last edited:

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
What's your favorite cr? You wear vintage ones right, Buco j100?

I have three CRs -- a vintage Buco J-100 and 2 Himel Kensingtons. There are several other great CRs, including the FW Speedmaster (for the few that it fits properly), Rainbow Country, RMC (peaky shoulders), FL Route 66, Thedi (non-washed), and many vintage models.

marker2037

Practically Family
I'm with @MrProper on this one. I vastly prefer the more 'messy' look of the Thedi cr over the sharp lines of a Himel Kensington or FW Speedmaster for instance.

View attachment 372898
View attachment 372899

I couldn't agree more. Some cafe racers with the overly straight lines everywhere just look like straight jackets to me. You end up looking like a 2-dimensional caricature of yourself: stiff as a board and boring.

I'll take my wavy zipper all day over that.

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
Now this one I got problems with. It looks to me as if someone really butchered a zipper replacement with a cheap copy C&C, or else did a horrible repair. Wavy, and not even close to original stitch holes, and it looks like they were SWI, sewing while intoxicated. Not an expensive jacket but I like the light weight leather and fit, so I will probably put a little heavier YKK in it eventually. More stitch marks?:eek:
34A3A26E-A73A-4A18-870E-18299927BA11.jpeg
7083173A-B6C8-478A-A4B8-327091FB56DA.jpeg
97FEF9CD-F480-40B5-830A-035EEC41536C.jpeg
2D925064-0745-45B9-AAFC-6A92FF782CD1.jpeg

Last edited:

Roy Hobbs

One of the Regulars
Just got notified by Carrie that the Aegean posted on the Thurston page is mine! It wasn’t supposed to be done until late Spring! Somehow wires got crossed and they did my jacket before someone with the same name who had their order in months earlier. I’ll post pics and details once it arrives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider