Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

POWs in America

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Camp Battle was here in New Bern. It was located on the Neuse River next door to where Hattaras Yachts are now produced. It is a city park nowadays, but parts of the original barracks foundations remain. I found the following blurb about the camp and it comports with what I've heard from the locals who remember it.

At the New Bern camp, the Germans worked on logging projects (30%), saw mills (20%), farming (20%), meat packing / food processing (10%), scattered miscellaneous industrial plants (7%) and fertilizer works (3%). Ten percent of the prisoners were left behind in the camp at all times, due to American administrative policies.

AF

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Camp Carson had 12,000 German POWs. The population of Colorado Springs was less then 36,000 at the time!

rjb1

Practically Family
I don't know what camp he started from, but one German POW decided to "escape" and made it as far as Nashville. He was caught by the FBI while trying to catch a bus about 100 yards from my present office.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points