Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Prada Menswear Fall 2012

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Like others here, I found the lack of neckwear a little weird. At least a cravat or something. But simply a buttoned up shirt with nothing there...looks...Not 'wrong', per se, just really...strange.

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Like others here, I found the lack of neckwear a little weird. At least a cravat or something. But simply a buttoned up shirt with nothing there...looks...Not 'wrong', per se, just really...strange.

I totally agree; I see it as a missed opportunity. In every case it seems like the fellow simply forgot to put on his tie! Oops!

I can think of several reasons why they would omit them, I just don't think it was a good idea.

So Shangas, I consider this an official go-ahead to wear a frock coat at any time in public. Now I just need to find one and buy it without the wife killing me for it lol

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I see no reason why you CAN'T wear a frock-coat in the 21st century. It doesn't look that different from a standard trenchcoat/overcoat, and they're still very common.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I see no reason why you CAN'T wear a frock-coat in the 21st century. It doesn't look that different from a standard trenchcoat/overcoat, and they're still very common.

True, but here in southern California we've only got about four months in which the weather would permit it...:( And I agree with you that a cravats would have gone well with the high-necked collars.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
After watching the video I would admit that certain elements, the shoes especially, don't seem to go with the overall look and feel, and the addition of the actors like Adrian Brody, Willem DeFoe and Gary Oldman were a great touch as they are good point men for style. Especially Gary Oldman who is into vintage fashion. But other elements and outfits I'd say they were inspired by the latest Sherlock Holmes Adventures. I see a little Lord Blackwell & Dr. Watson for sure in some of these outfits. The music in the video was a nice touch as well. Had the feel of an old silent film.
I hope this look takes off as it is a far better option than most of the spoon fed unimaginative trash that is out there now. If I could afford it I would purchase it for sure.

Cheers!

Dan

Plus Royal Flying Corps c1917, louche lounge lizard c 1910 etc even a bit of Third Reich. The shoes seemed to be a bit 90s with a touch of 30s thrown in.

I'll agree with you on that. At first it looked like some hideous strawberry chewing gum colored leather but on closer examination I noticed that the soles were the same color and concluded what you did that it was a rubber rain over protector. They kind of went with what was passing for a rain coat in that section of the show.

Thought Adrian Brody looked well in this outfit, but I think that he could have kept his signature facial hair and still pulled off the look better.
0117-adrien-brody-prada-fall-2012-menswear_fa.jpg

I take it this is the "Von Richthofen" look spoken of?
prada-menswear-fall-12-13-2.jpg

And of course Gary Oldman
Prada-Fall-Winter-2012-Menswear-Show.jpg

And I think that Tim Roth was in that line up as well.
Header_prada_2012.jpg

003-prada-autumn-winter-2012-13-hollywood-actors.jpg

It just goes to show that you are never to old to have fun with your clothing and look darn sharp doing it. I think that this is something right up Vampyre Master's alley. Would love to know what he thinks of this collection.

11.jpg

I think what I enjoy about this collection is the high collars. I'm one of those odd ducks that doesn't mind having a tall collar, from a turtleneck to a zip up workout shirt around his neck. I find it rather comfortable. Probably why I like wearing scarves a lot too.

Cheers!

Dan
DAN thanks
All of these superb items are "up my alley" ( well not sure about the shorts) its the best collection of men's clothing for ....well ever and had I the income I'd have the lot
the inspiration come not from steampunk but from the "Fandorin" detective books (pre 1917 Russian revolution)
regards
VM

True, but here in southern California we've only got about four months in which the weather would permit it...:( And I agree with you that a cravats would have gone well with the high-necked collars.
hi guys they were wearing colour matched throat wraps under a closed collar and before you ask... yes, been wearing these for ages dammit somebody from Prada must have seen me.
VM

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Very good. I knew this would suit you VM. Thank you for the clarification, now I am going to have to look those detective novels up. Yes, if only we had the pocket book to afford such items. But I'm sure this collection will inspire others to do similar clothing at a more reasonable price range. I know there are sites like Gentlemen's Emporium, but there is a far different flair going on here that fits the now. I'm liking the neck wraps under the collar, another item to ponder on for this next winter.

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
As a side note, as VM noted the inspiration comes from the "Fandorin" novels. It appears next year one of the novels 'The Winter Queen' will be released on film. I wonder if Prada will have a hand in the costuming and if her Fall/Winter collection is a prelude to this.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0937380/

Will prove interesting to see.

Cheers!

Dan

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Very good. I knew this would suit you VM. Thank you for the clarification, now I am going to have to look those detective novels up. Yes, if only we had the pocket book to afford such items. But I'm sure this collection will inspire others to do similar clothing at a more reasonable price range. I know there are sites like Gentlemen's Emporium, but there is a far different flair going on here that fits the now. I'm liking the neck wraps under the collar, another item to ponder on for this next winter.

Cheers!

Dan

Yeah, I seriously doubt I will ever be able to afford a Prada frock coat, but I'm determined to get one now :D Only a matter of time...and money...always money...lol

Yeah, I seriously doubt I will ever be able to afford a Prada frock coat, but I'm determined to get one now :D Only a matter of time...and money...always money...lol
Hi G&T don't buy those overpriced repros, check out antiques fairs, vintage fairs, ebay. Mine are all Victorian or Edwardian and I have never paid more than £65
A good way to make a wrap is sew Velcro on an old silk scarf, nice and tight.
VM
PS I didn't know about the film !!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Hi G&T don't buy those overpriced repros, check out antiques fairs, vintage fairs, ebay. Mine are all Victorian or Edwardian and I have never paid more than £65
A good way to make a wrap is sew Velcro on an old silk scarf, nice and tight.
VM

Well, you have an advantage living in the UK. The frock coat survived far longer there than anywhere else. Living, as I do, on the west coast of Canada, I think I would be very hard pressed to find a vintage frock coat, and even harder pressed to find one that would fit my 6'2", 190lb frame. Ebay might be a possibility, but again finding one that fits is probably unlikely. One can always hope of course!

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up

I found it purely by accident. I was looking for an image of Erast Fandorin, some fan pic or illustration and happened upon a blog that had info about the film. In that blog they said something about a remake of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Anyway here is the IMDB link. Not much I'm afraid.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0937380/

Scroll here about half way down for the article, http://www.feedagg.com/feed/9081281/Views-News-Reviews-Articles-and-Information

Of course I did come across some fan illustrations of Fandorin.
Fandorin-1.jpg

Fandorin-masa.jpg

Of course now I am curious VM. Although not shown on IMDB, I wonder if any of the four actors that were in the catwalk will be appearing in 'The Winter Queen' and if this was a sneak peak into the costuming for the film? I will keep my eyes open for this here in the near future.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany