Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s (non-Stetson) Westerns

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Just won the auction for a thoroughly beat, but nonetheless very interesting old western.

KGrHqIOKjIE26kgwt79BN0TTCor5Q_3.jpg

period brim repairs
KGrHqQOKnEE2Zvq54KBN0TTgzcQ_3.jpg

Carlsbad Velour? I can't quite make it out from the crummy ebay picture.
KGrHqMOKjEE3HtNSbPTBN0TUKTNlg_3.jpg

It has an interesting liner. A different graphic, but the same idea as "The Last Drop" which Stetson has used for decades. The Stetson one was based on an early '20s Lon Megargee painting.

The liner in my hat
KGrHqJi4E3QIO3KG7BN0TUVTRFQ_3.jpg

Original painting
tmp694_thumb.jpg

Stetson Liner
conversionhat10.jpg

Steven's Version
westerns004nt3.jpg

More modern Stetson version
c7d8_12.jpg

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

Robert, That is SO COOL! I love the simplicity of the ribbon and that awesome "patterned" sweatband. Even though I know that Mallory made cowboy hats, I never really think of them as being a western hat manufacture. When I think of early 20th century Mallory, I always think of high end Dress hats. Looking at this Golden Rule Cash Mallory, it appears that they made a high quality cowboy hat as well. I notice that there is no liner and just a crown stamping, is the felt very lightweight? I own a 1930's Mallory with just a crown stamp and its extremely lightweight and pliable.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Paid $5 for this well-used western. No brand, the sweatband is pretty much shot but it's my size and I love it.

5 3/4" bashed crown, 3 1/2" brim

cowboyhat001.jpg

Nice one. If you have the gumption to wear it out there, you've got a lot of style. I like your Jack Vettriano painting icon, by the way. That artist ought to be featured somehow on TFL.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Robert, That is SO COOL! I love the simplicity of the ribbon and that awesome "patterned" sweatband. Even though I know that Mallory made cowboy hats, I never really think of them as being a western hat manufacture. When I think of early 20th century Mallory, I always think of high end Dress hats. Looking at this Golden Rule Cash Mallory, it appears that they made a high quality cowboy hat as well. I notice that there is no liner and just a crown stamping, is the felt very lightweight? I own a 1930's Mallory with just a crown stamp and its extremely lightweight and pliable.

This is definitely thick felt for outdoor durability, soft yet firm,not as stiff as post 1960's

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Admittedly I'm quite jealous of that one. It looks incredible! Where do you keep dredging up these fantastic westerns?!

At your convenience would you mind telling me the dimensions of the hat above, as well as maybe post a side shot?

Last edited:

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
A bit of a preview. I just won two unworn examples of the Pilgrim "Carlsbad".
I already have one of the "Columbia", posted earlier in this thread.
Spread.jpg

For a direct comparison.
IMG_3846.jpg

IMG_3853.jpg

I should have the shots of the "Carlsbad"(s) up in the next week or so.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21