Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s (non-Stetson) Westerns

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
What a great bunch of hats! Really shows the variety of styles and individuality hat wearers and makers come up with. Hard to believe they all start as the same basic shape.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
4.jpg

Alan, these are spectacular!!!! Its incredible how preserved the sweatbands, sweatband printing, and size stickers are! The contrast of color between the gray felt and the pearl white ribbon/trimmings is wonderful. I'm so glad you picked these up! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

I'm in love with that ribbon treatment!!! I may actually use this exact design on my next western conversion if you don't mind....;)

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

......................I'm speechless.......................:eeek:

This is my favorite out of all of your Wyoming purchases. The felt is beautiful, the crown height/shape is perfect, the silk lined underside of the brim is so unusual and spectacular, this hat is a once in a lifetime find. The sweatband is perfect and the embossing is out of this world. This might just be one of my favorite hats ever. The bow and tassels are just amazing. ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL HAT!!!!!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Alan

That hat is fabulous. I like the color combo when you wear the brim turned up even tho wearing the brim turned up partially hides the great looking ribbon. I wish I had that dilma. A six inch crown? Love it.
Thanks for sharing.

Best regards
CCJ

Alan

That hat is fabulous. I like the color combo when you wear the brim turned up even tho wearing the brim turned up partially hides the great looking ribbon. I wish I had that dilma. A six inch crown? Love it.
Thanks for sharing.

Best regards
CCJ

Thank you. This hat wouldn't respond well to a snapped brim because of the silk under brim lining. It is intended to be worn uppity.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1900's "The Defender"

Just received this one yesterday. Its not as tan as the pictures show, its more of a gray-tan. The felt is nearly flawless except for a couple very shallow tracks. The sweatband is soft and pliable and feels new. The hat originally came with a Guss crease, but I have steamed the crown open. Some of the original crease lines can still be seen, I could have gotten them out, but I felt they add more character left in. There are no manufacture markings and the reorder tag is present but left blank. The felt is finished very nicely and reacts and feels very much like old Nutria hats that I have had. It doesn't feel like Rabbit or beaver, but most definitely has that Nutria feel. I have no way of knowing, but its a guess.

6 1/2 inch crown

Brim is 3 1/4 inches With the curl, and 3 inches not counting the curl.

DSC08475_zps505adbdb.jpg

DSC08476_zpsdae22759.jpg

DSC08480_zpsaba6fe88.jpg

DSC08481_zps5616d5e4.jpg

DSC08486_zps49abba63.jpg

DSC08488_zpsccf9ee6a.jpg

DSC08492_zpsa0d3345d.jpg

DSC08493_zpsbe0792d7.jpg

with center crease and side dents

DSC08495_zps78f303e5.jpg

with guss crease

DSC08499_zpsa31be348.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Nice, Josh. the initials under the Defender logo appear to be L & M or M & L. Time for you to scour the American Hatters.....

B

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, guys!!

Bill, I looked through all editions of the American Hatter on google and used certain search words. I was only able to come up with a couple editions that mentioned "The Defender." It appears that The Defender brand was made by The Waite Hat Co (Which later became Blake & Waite Co) but based on the initilas in the logo, it doesn't really match up. I see a "W," "M," and an "L." The company was from Minnesota, so Im not sure if they made my Defender. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko