Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

Mario

I'll Lock Up
ss10.jpg

Hmmm...I'd like to have one of these as well! Great brim and bow detail. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
A Stetson Stetsonian Excellent Quality derby I picked up. Great deep burgundy liner color.

stetson_ex_quality_derby_4.jpg

WOW!!! Thats a great looking Early Stetson derby. I love the white/grey sweatband. It looks so classy when put next to that deep burgundy liner and black felt. I love that the model name (The Stetsonian) is marked on the sweatband. Ive seen so many derbies from Stetson that could be one of many vintage models. Great find! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Stetson Special

I would guess this example at late 1930's when the Special was retail priced at $5. It is interesting to compare it to the similar vintage blue medallion Aristocrat homburg, which had a dressier smooth felt, higher crown and a $7 price tag.

This felt is softer and fuzzier, but still holds a dry front pinch creasing easily.

special7.jpg

special3.jpg

The feel of the lining is unusual, different from any other Stetson lining I have... very smooth, amost slippery. Donna thought it might be a silk satin, but it feels synthetic to me.

special1.jpg

I would guess the bow was black original... it has faded to eggplant.

special4.jpg

Sweatband is embossed, that lovely Mr. Softee leather.

special6.jpg

special5.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Josh... would love to be able to compare this hat to its earlier $20 predecessor. I wonder where and how the compromises were made. The liner on this hat is taped in place, though I'm not sure if that is original construction, or after a cleaning. The material used is torn from pieces of brown kraft paper gummed tape... random sizes... in one spot a long piece is glued to the back of the sweat. Doesn't seem like factory work.

cheers,
Alan

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Josh... would love to be able to compare this hat to its earlier $20 predecessor. I wonder where and how the compromises were made. The liner on this hat is taped in place, though I'm not sure if that is original construction, or after a cleaning. The material used is torn from pieces of brown kraft paper gummed tape... random sizes... in one spot a long piece is glued to the back of the sweat. Doesn't seem like factory work.

cheers,
Alan

It may be possible that the liner was taped in place due to the lower price point, but I was under the impression that in the 30's Stetson sewed their liners in. Due to the randomness of sizes of tape however, your most likely right in assuming that the work was done outside the factory.
That leather sweatband looks soooooo soft and supple.

It may be possible that the liner was taped in place due to the lower price point, but I was under the impression that in the 30's Stetson sewed their liners in. Due to the randomness of sizes of tape however, your most likely right in assuming that the work was done outside the factory.
That leather sweatband looks soooooo soft and supple.

I think so... the pieces are torn to size... no way that would make sense in a factory environment. And you are right on the sweatband. I wish I could specify these in all my vintage hats. The Stetson butter sweatband is to die for.

Last edited:

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1930s Stetson Standard Quality

I just received this one from a fellow lounger. This is such a beautiful hat, I love it!!

DSC06525.jpg

DSC06527.jpg

DSC06528.jpg

DSC06521.jpg

DSC06529.jpg

DSC06524.jpg

DSC06532.jpg

DSC06542.jpg

DSC06536.jpg

DSC06539.jpg

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, Josh! This really is the month of the old Stetson for you :eusa_clap

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Wow, that truly is a beautiful hat! Congrats!

Excellent Standard!

joshbru very very nice the stetson
that makes me jealous

Beautiful hat! Also further evidence that stitched seams were used early in the 30's.

Wow, Josh! This really is the month of the old Stetson for you :eusa_clap

Great old Stetson, Josh, and just my size!

THANKS EVERYBODY!! This has been quite the month of vintage Stetsons for me, thanks Garrett! Robert, I was really surprised to see the stitched seam in such an early 30's hat. I know that there has been evidence on the lounge before, but this is my first example that Ive had in my hands.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy