Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I just received this one from a fellow lounger. This is such a beautiful hat, I love it!!

DSC06525.jpg

Wow, Josh! I can see why you love it - just the kind of hat you prefer to wear and in fantastic condition. Congratulations!

Iyor

One of the Regulars
Beautiful hat! I wish I'd receive those fro
stetsonisnde.jpg
lounger.

I just got the stetson tuxedo hat and its by far the best quality felt I've touched including a 1921 Borsalino Nutria. My brain is craving more now!
stetsonfull1212.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
A hearty congratulations, my Standard Quality brother!

Wow, Josh! I can see why you love it - just the kind of hat you prefer to wear and in fantastic condition. Congratulations!

Josh - there you have me greeeeen with envy...what a hat! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Beautiful hat! I wish I'd receive those from lounger.

Thanks Al, David, Mario, and Iyor!!!

It would be kind of neat if there was a "Standard Quality" club pin to wear. ;)

I don't usually wear black hats, but when I saw this one, I just fell in love.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
FANTASTIC, Garrett!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Is that the original ribbon for the hat? Do you have a pic of the re-order tag?

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The ribbon is original and is frayed on both ends. Re-order is a 6 7/8 but I don't have any photos of it. Not really my style of hat but an interesting experiment in color combination (Orange Copper and Navy) from the early days.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
The ribbon is original and is frayed on both ends. Re-order is a 6 7/8 but I don't have any photos of it. Not really my style of hat but an interesting experiment in color combination (Orange Copper and Navy) from the early days.

I've never seen an early Stetson with those color combinations. That's REALLY interesting. What kind of crown does it have? It looks like maybe a 5 1/2 or 5 5/8 inch crown from the pictures.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
That Stetson is really intriguing. Upon inspection, do you think that the sweatband was adapted later by a hatter or do you believe that the the sweatband treatment was originally done at the Stetson factory? I've never seen a Stetson sweatband treatment like that before.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
That Stetson is really intriguing. Upon inspection, do you think that the sweatband was adapted later by a hatter or do you believe that the the sweatband treatment was originally done at the Stetson factory? I've never seen a Stetson sweatband treatment like that before.

It has the Stetson factory embossing on the leather and the intensely colored knotted bow at the seam typical of the 30's. The reed-less through stitching I haven't seen before.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It has the Stetson factory embossing on the leather and the intensely colored knotted bow at the seam typical of the 30's. The reed-less through stitching I haven't seen before.

I have no doubt that the sweatband is original. I just thought that possibly a hatter had removed the reed tape and restitched the sweatband as it now with the leather folded over on top. I can't see why this would be done, but we have seen stranger things on the lounge. [huh]

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Glad you scooped up this great old Standard Quality, Robert. Had a crack at it right after it was listed with BIN, but hesitated to pull the trigger as I was uncertain of size, and I could not fathom how the sweatband was attatched from the lousy listing photos.

I wonder if this method of sweatband attachment was a failed experiment.

Very interesting... like a reversed rolled sweatband stitched through the rolled edge. Perhaps the fact that it didn't stand the test of wear and time might be the reason's we haven't seen it before. The rolled edge on the free side of the sweat seemed to hold up very well.

There is nothing more exciting to me than seeing these old hats... my favorite part of the lounge. Thanks for sharing the wealth, Robert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21