Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre- 1940s Stetson dress hats.

I just received this hat today... will share more pictures later. The hat model is Aristocrat. I found this page from the Buffalo Express 1925 with all sorts of great sports news of the day along with an ad from the Kleinhans Co. at lower right. I haven't seen the fixed position wind trolley button before. Beautiful hat in virtually new condition coming home to Buffalo... thanks Doug!

$(KGrHqMOKj0E2LEv3gfJBNlMS)KF!w~~0_3.JPG

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Yes love the stitching on the ribbon. Is the edge of the ribbon folded over to get that effect?

Awesome lid!

That's great Josh. I just received the 1930's era homburg from FL'er Flyfishark - also a 6 7/8 and also a snug but workable fit.
A rare and fabulous find... enjoy it!

THANK YOU everyone!!!! Wiser Hatter, The ribbon is very interesting and appears to have an additional pattern that trims the ribbon on top of the regular grosgrain. Never seen something quite like it before.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
I just received this hat today... will share more pictures later. The hat model is Aristocrat. I found this page from the Buffalo Express 1925 with all sorts of great sports news of the day along with an ad from the Kleinhans Co. at lower right. I haven't seen the fixed position wind trolley button before. Beautiful hat in virtually new condition coming home to Buffalo... thanks Doug!

$(KGrHqMOKj0E2LEv3gfJBNlMS)KF!w~~0_3.JPG

That is such a beautiful hat, Alan. I can't wait to see more pictures of that one!!! Those 30's blue liner tips are just my favorite. They always looks so classy. Its very cool that you found the advertisement from the store that sold the hat and that it even lists the particular model. Even though I wasn't quick enough on the draw to pick that one up, I'm extremely glad that you got it. :) I know that it will be taken care of very well. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I think this thread has more great hats than any other. Great additions, Josh and Alan.

My greenish-blueish Playboy Air Light - mid-30s to early 40s.

DSC_0131.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I think this thread has more great hats than any other. Great additions, Josh and Alan.

I love the stitch work. I really like that kind of character in a hat or garment.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Josh: Exquisite! Incredible ribbon and sweatband details. Just an amazing lid! :eusa_clap

Alan: Beautiful hat, and so appropriate it is returning to Buffalo. Really looking forward to your always wonderful photos.

Lefty: Always a pleasure to see that Air Light. Astonishing color!

Here are some additional pictures of the Stetson Aristocrat.

Standard quality felt was oh so nice back in the day:

aristocrat7.jpg

note the wind cord button, fixed and sewn through the bow:

aristocrat8.jpg

aristocrat6.jpg

aristocrat1.jpg

aristocrat2.jpg

aristocrat3.jpg

aristocrat5.jpg

aristocrat4.jpg

Kleinhans was one of the largest men's stores in the U.S... it closed in the early 1990's. Here is their add for the Stetson homburg (Aristocrat - $8) in the Buffalo Morning Express - 1925:

aristocrat9.jpg

The full newspaper page on which this appeared is a fun whirlwind of sports chat.

Last edited:
Thanks... it is in remarkable condition. I just finished taking some photos behind the sweatband. The original price tag for this hat shows $7.50... less than in 1925 - I'm guessing a depression era adjustment?

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up

DSC_0131.jpg

Thank you, Lefty! That Playboy is still my favorite Playboy that Ive seen. I love the felt color! It looks great with that blue ribbon.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
1920's Stetson Clear Nutria

I just got this from Garrett. Thanks again, Garrett!! Its a 1920's Stetson Clear Nutria with a rolled brim. This hat is so incredibly cool. The felt has a good amount of stiffener in it. The Nutria is very soft and very finely pounced. This feel likes a durable hat. The felt has certain qualities that I havent felt before. I can see why this stuff was used for cowboy hats. I used just a touch of steam to make the crown perfect again and get some lines out. The hat will hold any crease that you put into it WITHOUT any steam or water. It will then pop back out, like the crease was never there. The sweatband is in really good shape and looks like years ago, someone had put some sort of leather oil or protectant. Upon further inspection, the stain in front isnt from sweat, its from some sort of wax or leather oil. Too much was used, but on the flipside, because the leather oil was used, the sweatband has a good amount of moisture and pliability. The leather is extremely soft. I took some open crown shots and then put some common 20's creases in the hat, just to show the versitility of the hat. It actually fits me too! Its a bit snug, but It would be cool to wear for vintage pictures. This really is a very high quality hat in materials and finish. Heres some pics:
1920sStetsonClearNutria1jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria2jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria3jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria4jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria5jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria6jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria7jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria8jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria9jpg.jpg

1920sStetsonClearNutria10jpg.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Great hat. Great crease. I'd love to handle both a Clear and Real Nutria Stetson. My 40s/50s Nutria Quality has that rugged feel, but will not take any sort of crease without all sorts of steam. Congrats.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Great hat. Great crease. I'd love to handle both a Clear and Real Nutria Stetson. My 40s/50s Nutria Quality has that rugged feel, but will not take any sort of crease without all sorts of steam. Congrats.

Thanks, Lefty! This is my first hat that is made with any sort of Nutria and I have to say that its really a pretty neat felt. Its soft and finely pounced, but doesn't have that delicate touch of a really nice rabbit or beaver felt. I really feel that this Clear Nutria was really meant for durability. Id'd love to get my hands on a "Real Nutria" and "Nutria Quality" just to compare them to the "Clear Nutria." It would be interesting to find out if there are actually manufacturing differences between the 3, or if it was mostly marketing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR