Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
It's a great hat no matter how you crease it ScottF. But I think you got your Toms mixed up. That crease is Tom Horn aka a Carlsbad crease. "I'd wear it."

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
It's a great hat no matter how you crease it ScottF. But I think you got your Toms mixed up. That crease is Tom Horn aka a Carlsbad crease. "I'd wear it."

Okay, I'm new to this - as you might have noticed, I was kind of adverse to this particular crease when I received the hat. In any case, I kept digging around and found a true 'Tom Mix' hat and crease:

Mix22.jpg

I also plan to leave the crease in this one as-is:

Tom Mix newsboy on ebay

318832869_tp.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Having heard this 'Tom Horn' crease called the 'Tom Mix' so many times, I googled images, and of course couldn't find any pictures with Tom Mix in a hat creased in such a manner; however, there are plenty of places selling 'Tom Mix' hats that have the crease mine has - this one, like others, even calls the crease a 'Tom Mix' crease:

Tom Mix crease?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
illumin8em said:
I am color blind, so i can't really tell the shade of this hat but I sure do like everything else about it. Any info on it?

More photos of it are on the first page, Here.

I don't have much on it, other than that it probably dates to the late '30s.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Dinerman, that hat off eBay, would that be a "campaign hat" (park ranger's hat, ...whatever you wish to call it)? I like that hatband. I'm into looking at ways to make -better said, to "assemble" hatbands (for western style hats).

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Dinerman said:
Due to the lack of vents, I'd say that one's more of a "boss of the plains".

...of course, Dinerman... didn't pay enough attention to the lacking of those little holes in the crown; otherwise, well, it could have been: rather low crown, just like the campaign hat I have which, also, is the same color. Thanks and greetings,
Paul

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's a hard distinction to make, and I suppose is really mostly in the creasing as to which style you call it. And with hats this old, who knows what the original crease really was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24