Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pre 1940s Stetson Westerns

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Garrett said:
Nice one, Scott. The old bash was better though [huh]

Thanks, Garrett.

I think the Tom Mix bash looks great, but I wouldn't wear it in public in 2009. I think this hat really looks good with a Telescope bash, and I look forward to wearing it. The 'before' picture of me wearing it shows a pinch that is no longer there. It now has a pure telescope bash.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
To each his own. I'm likin' the telescope, though. :eusa_clap

Thanks - that was based on a suggestion by Dinerman in an earlier post, and by pics of rlk's early Stetson.

I might be a bit of a hypocrite here in that the thing that attracted to me about this hat WAS the Tom Mix bash, and the history. I was envisioning a massive hat (like Pablo's), with a huge Tom Mix crown - something to study and then to hang on the wall as a decoration.

But since there's an option to re-bash and wear it, I'm wearing it. If I'm ever lucky enough to find another one of these, it will be displayed with the Tom Mix bash.

Dell%20Tom%20Mix%20Riding%20hardcvr.jpg

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
ScottF said:

What a fantastic hat, Scott! :eusa_clap ...and you're lookin' swell! That telescope bash (in the other pictures) is absolutely great, congratulations.

I'm very pleased you got that one, indeed identical to mine. I have the liner, and when I bought it, it had the original sweatband which, however, ripped at the stitches. Since I wear the hat around and outside the house, I had another sweatband sewn into it, and kept the "labels" of the original ones, "for the record". I usually leave it unbashed nowadays, whereas six months ago, I usually had a montana bash in it. The bash is so easy to make in this superb nutria felt, that I can change the bash absolutely at whim.

Again: super!
Paul

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
PabloElFlamenco said:
What a fantastic hat, Scott! :eusa_clap ...and you're lookin' swell! That telescope bash (in the other pictures) is absolutely great, congratulations.

I'm very pleased you got that one, indeed identical to mine. I have the liner, and when I bought it, it had the original sweatband which, however, ripped at the stitches. Since I wear the hat around and outside the house, I had another sweatband sewn into it, and kept the "labels" of the original ones, "for the record". I usually leave it unbashed nowadays, whereas six months ago, I usually had a montana bash in it. The bash is so easy to make in this superb nutria felt, that I can change the bash absolutely at whim.

Again: super!
Paul

Thanks Guys. I had planned to send it to Optimo for a cleaning and new ribbon, but no way - too much character. Pablo, it is just amazing how easy it is to 'fine tune' the felt. I can literally rub the pencil curl with one finger to straighten it - same for the front brim - yet, at the same time it keeps its shape well. It also has sort of the same swirly look as a long-hair. Definitely the nicest felt I've...uh...felt.

Now I just need a brown one and a black one and all the rest of the hats in Feltfan's catalog.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
From Stetson Hats by J. Snyder

"In 1901 staple hats were offered in the following colors: black, blue-black, otter belly, side and back nutria. The last three were natural fur colors. In 1940, the biggest change in staple hats in many years was the introduction of pastel colors for movie cowboys and rodeo riders."

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
carouselvic said:
In 1940, the biggest change in staple hats in many years was the introduction of pastel colors for movie cowboys and rodeo riders."

Yeah ... that's what I'm looking for ... a 5 inch brim in peach with a little silk rose on the band. :p

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Pastel Resistol

carouselvic said:
"In 1901 staple hats were offered in the following colors: black, blue-black, otter belly, side and back nutria. The last three were natural fur colors. In 1940, the biggest change in staple hats in many years was the introduction of pastel colors for movie cowboys and rodeo riders."
!Bd8oHkgCGk~$(KGrHqMH-CsErfYrdLC+BK7OZ1Ercw~~_12.JPG

not mine.

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
5-inch brims? Pastel rose? Tom Mix? (try a Cord but keep your luggage forward).

Ok guys. Gotta come to grips, for fear of this becoming an outright orgy, which -whilst it may have been, at some point in time, Roman practice- is not in tune with what many would have you believe to be proper Christian Western lore, to which I'm, by culture if not education, to abide.

Note the pinch of gallic scepticism which I must ..re-sist as well as -ject. these (quote) puttylike (unquote) bashes have something outrightly un-conventional in that they denote flexibility which, if I'm not mistaken, would be commendable solely in matters military, to the exlcusion of moral.
¿Hollywood? ¿Twin peaks? No! Nutria, from Argentina! :whistling

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Rose?

IMG_1032.jpg

And look at the color on the big one second from the left (non- stetson). Westerns certainly came in colors which someone today would not expect as being made in the pre-1940s period

IMG_0524.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Dinerman said:

I'm drooling - the bookend hats are amazing.

For Garrett...after spending some time digging around the internet looking at pics and reading up on these hats, I removed the telescope bash and very carefully put it back in its original Tom Mix. It will stay this way:

BossNutriaMixSide2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GilbertHit