Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Precious...

Reading the posts, we all like to see other people with an interest in Vintage Fashion. I have no problem with it being 'real' or 'repro' if eras are mixed, the hair is 'wrong' etc etc, I just love the idea that there is someone else out there a bit like me! I just hate Chavs.

Goldwyn Girl, don't be afraid, we love you!!

I worry about my look every time I leave the house & always have (self esteem issues not vanity!!) people always give me a funny look because I dres a bit 'funny'. My favourite at the moment is dressing like a sailor lol

Anyway, I don't know what the point of this post was really.

The end

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
It's funny; as a teenager, I was a card-carrying, black lipstick-wearing, Bauhaus-listening Goth Chick. I remember many catty spats revolving around any one particular girl's "Gothness" or lack thereof. Now, some of it stemmed from witnessing girls who were indeed deserving of the comments we heaped upon them. However, looking back now, I know a lot of it came from the fact that we actually defined ourselves by exactly how rigidly we adhered to "The Code", and resented anyone who came into the scene after we did. I hate admitting it, but it's the truth. It was scary how close to home that SNL Goth Talk skit hit us...
I think the two scenes have a dependency on appearance in common. I'd like to think that I judge people on how they live their lives, their behavior, their manners, the lengths to which they'll go to live up to being a Gentleman or a Lady, with way more weight than what I give to what they're wearing. For me, that's what defines this movement.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Just to clarify...

My pet peeves don't lie with those who mix and match eras, or take shortcuts with foundation garments for daily wear. I'm all for wearing what you like, what you are comfortable in and Lord knows, what's in your budget. It's the re-enactors who do it that get my goat. I have nothing against the people themselves who make the mistakes. some of them don't know any better and others are told "its good enough".

The way i see it, if you are a re-enactor, then you are representing and portraying someone of a certain era, in this particular case, WW2. If you misrepresent yourself at an event, then you are misrepresenting history. It's the same whether you are military or civilian. You are involved in "living history" it needs to be as accurate as possible. I don't believe in the 10 ft rule, if it looks good from 10ft than it's good enough. That is fine for stage work, but not when you get up close and personal. Timberlands don't pass for army boots and 80s dresses don't pass for 40s. If it was seen and was the norm for the era you represent than by all means go right ahead, but show me men's fedora wearing women of the 1930s or 40s or a woman sea bee wearing men's garb and yet again, you're doing a disservice to the memory and history of the men and women of the generation and all that they were able to accomplish! If you're not going to be accurate don't do it at all. Its not a game,..its not a fad,...nor halloween. Don't do it because you're friend's are doing it, do it for the right reasons,....if you want something to do with your friends because "they're doing it",..then go see a movie or skip rope.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Ditto what Penny Serenade said. I mix eras all the time for normal day to day wear. It's the people who swear up and down they're authentic but aren't that bother me. Or sellers that SWEAR their item is from a certain era but it's not... but I guess that's a rant for a different thread.

And by the way, I hate doing hair. So I always admire a good hairstyle whether or not it's totally period correct.

pennyseranade

One of the Regulars
Lulu-in-Ny said:
It's funny; as a teenager, I was a card-carrying, black lipstick-wearing, Bauhaus-listening Goth Chick. I remember many catty spats revolving around any one particular girl's "Gothness" or lack thereof. Now, some of it stemmed from witnessing girls who were indeed deserving of the comments we heaped upon them. However, looking back now, I know a lot of it came from the fact that we actually defined ourselves by exactly how rigidly we adhered to "The Code", and resented anyone who came into the scene after we did. I hate admitting it, but it's the truth. It was scary how close to home that SNL Goth Talk skit hit us...
I think the two scenes have a dependency on appearance in common. I'd like to think that I judge people on how they live their lives, their behavior, their manners, the lengths to which they'll go to live up to being a Gentleman or a Lady, with way more weight than what I give to what they're wearing. For me, that's what defines this movement.

I agree,..however its never good to be a band wagon jumper,.."its the latest/newest thing so lets now go do that,"...if that's the reason, then that's the wrong reason. Just my opinion,....

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
I have to agree with others; the main thing that irritates me is when people wear it to be trendy. But then, I get annoyed at anyone who wears clothing just to be trendy, whether it's vintage or modern. Or to be more precise, I get annoyed at a society that teaches people it's more important to be trendy than to be themselves. I've never been one to follow fashions or trends, partly because I've never been able to afford them, but mostly because I have a really quirky sense of style.

I've always been attracted to vintage style, particularly the 40's and 50's. I was brought up with those old fashioned values, being a lady and having good manners (even when I was a young tomboy!). The thing I love about vintage clothing is that it is so flattering for the female figure, no matter what size or shape, because it's so beautifully tailored. It makes women look beautiful, shows off their figure, without resorting to showing skin or being unsightly. So I always applaud women who dress well for their figure, rather than just wearing trendy things that don't flatter them. But I don't think I ever look down on them, I more just feel a bit sorry for them.

But then, here in Australia, it's very rare to see anyone dressed vintage (it's mostly Supre girls wearing gaudy 80's lycra and fluoro colours - ICK!).

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
pennyseranade said:
I agree,..however its never good to be a band wagon jumper,.."its the latest/newest thing so lets now go do that,"...if that's the reason, then that's the wrong reason. Just my opinion,....

Oh so true!! I've loved the 40's and 50's ever since I was about 10 so I always tell my boyfriend that I didn't jump on the bandwagon, I was on one of the horses ;)

Though I've loved the era's since I was young, it's only been recently that I've started dressing vintage, now that I have both the means to buy and the skills to make :D

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
pennyseranade said:

I agree with you whole-heartedly; I think, though, that people who get involved because it's the "now" thing to do tend to disappear rather quickly. The level of commitment required is off-putting to all but those who truly feel it is right for them.

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
i used to be a HUUUUGE vintage snob when i was younger. i'm not at all now, though. i can't believe what a vintage snob i used to be! lol in my defense though, i was about 19-20. now i wear real vintage, fake-vintage, and blatantly modern as i see fit. i'm not a stickler about shapewear, stockings, etc. occasionally i'll wear these things but honestly i just can't be bothered every day (and bike commuting and nannying definitely play their parts in this). [huh] i'm glad i live NOW and not THEN and can pick what i look like on a daily basis, and that we all have this freedom.

as for vintage items becoming trendy, most people aren't going to run out and find REAL vintage whatever-item-is-popular, and thus repro stuff appears in stores. 10 years ago i NEVER found authentic fake-vintage shoes, and now there's tons of stuff even i would deem acceptably vintage looking (i'm pretty picky about shoes, since i don't buy many pairs). even remix wouldn't be producing their repro shoes if they hadn't found a "crossover" market in the mainstream.

anyway, that's how i feel about preciousness, in a nutshell. :D

(ps smuterella, i only knew what you meant by preciousness because my ex-gf, who had lived in south africa for 3 years, called me precious once and i couldn't figure out why her voice was dripping with sarcasm. she had to explain it! in the US it generally means sweet & lovable.)

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
ShooShooBaby said:
(ps smuterella, i only knew what you meant by preciousness because my ex-gf, who had lived in south africa for 3 years, called me precious once and i couldn't figure out why her voice was dripping with sarcasm. she had to explain it! in the US it generally means sweet & lovable.)
Nice to know that I'm not the only one misunderstainding this! If someone called me "precious" I would have thought it a compliment. Unless it was Gollum, maybe.
:eek:fftopic:

Mojito

One Too Many
Very interesting hearing people's thoughts on this. It's something I try to curb in myself, as I'm afraid I tend to "overthink" things, and when I automatically note what is and is not period consistent in someone's vintage ensemble, I worry that I might tip over into nitpicky criticism. I'm very free with self-criticism, though - something I'm also trying to overcome, as someone who has just paid a nice compliment doesn't need to hear about the heels on the t-strap shoes being innacurate!

As others have noted, the event has a lot to do with it - if it's a fun Gatsby picnic or speakeasy party, I wouldn't think any the worse of someone else wearing a beaded gown and feather boa - what would concern me was whether or not they were having fun. I did feel strange wearing a full evening ensemble the other week at 2.00 pm in the afternoon, even if it was as part of a competition! I do love attention to detail, and while I won't sneer at anyone who isn't precisely in keeping with the era, I absolutely delight and admire those who are accurate down to accessories and foundation garments (or at least the effect of the foundation garments).

Mixing eras is also great fun if someone has the style to do it and is not striving for a period replica look. I'll plonk a cloche on with jeans and a velvet jacket in winter, and my current favourite accessory is a Victorian rock crystal necklace.

Smuterella

One Too Many
Helen Troy said:
Nice to know that I'm not the only one misunderstainding this! If someone called me "precious" I would have thought it a compliment. Unless it was Gollum, maybe.
:eek:fftopic:

aha! thats why I thought I'd put snobby too in case it was a peculiarly brit meaning

thanks for confirming!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
I'm honestly surprised to see that several of the girls here aren't as sweet as the dresses they sport :( Personally, I'm proud of my "belly pooch". I will never diet, and no matter how vintage I become I would never dream of wearing a corset. Being a female isn't always a bed of roses, it's up to you to decide how far you will go in the direction of "the weaker sex". As for "walking around like they think they're hot sh*t", I think more women should do so! Just listen to the song in your heart.

Blondie

Practically Family
My pet peeve is when you see girls wearing everything all at once, like a batwing hawaiian dress, with 30 bakelite bracelets, the biggest flower in their hair, a lucite purse, a vintage watch, 6 rings,huge bakelite hoops, a parasol and remix sandals. So combining plenty of era's as well.
Kind of like they really have no idea but if they "wear all their good stuff at once they must look good "sort of attitude.
And the groups of girls that all wear the same outfit even though they are in their 30's & 40's what is this about ????
I am all for "understated cool" regardless of what someone is in to.
I think anyone can "dress up" it is "dressing down" that alot of people can't manage.
So yes call me a snob !

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
I'm an era-mixer -- guilty as charged! Edwardian 50's? Modern flapper? Done and done. My outfits are usually inspired more by period silhouettes than the garments themselves. I just can't be confined to one look. Even if my dress and shoes are completely period-correct, I always have to add my own twist -- my Tokidoki bag, a Paraphernalia necklace, some wild hair accessories, showing off my tattoo...you name it!

I don't look down my nose at those who wear repro clothing. I actually like a lot of the higher-end repro designs, but they usually don't fit my measurements! I love a lot of the more mainstream modern designs too, though I pretty much always get the new stuff secondhand to avoid supporting sweatshop labor. I don't mind 40's this with 50's that, "rockabilly" or even *gasp* "psychobilly" style, etc. Some girls pull those looks off so beautifully!

ShortClara

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
As for "walking around like they think they're hot sh*t", I think more women should do so! Just listen to the song in your heart.

Sister woman sister! Preach! Sometimes I am hot sh*t, and nobody better try and stop me! :D We all are, if we allow ourselves to be~

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Snookie said:
I don't wear a slip. I've tried, but my dresses slide around too much on top (yes, I know that's the point!), and it makes dancing difficult. I'm very careful about VPL, though. At least I think I am. :) I also don't wear stockings, because 1) I think I'd trash them way too fast and 2) If my skirt flies up, I don't want to show a garter. I know that used to happen, but I feel that in today's world it's too prevocative. I'd rather go without.

But you are dancing, and that requires a different set of rules for dressing vintage. Im sure a lot of gals of the time didnt dance in their stockings for the same reason. And same for slips (yay tap pants!). I have seen your dancing look, and you are spot on! :)

If your not dancing, wear a freggin slip!

LD

Folly

One of the Regulars
I don't like to judge, but then I very rarely see anyone in vintage clothing walking the streets .. unless you count the eighties as vintage as the magazines do, but I personally don't. I really can't recall the last time I saw someone in vintage to be honest, someone who wasn't going to an event that is.

I take exception to being laughed at by the chav in the street or in a shop because I'm all dressed up. I was at a dance a year or so back and as there was no bar, we popped across the road to the express supermarket. A girl of about seventeen wearing sports gear was almost on the floor in hysterical laughter as she pointed at my husband and myself :( Her two friends however, dressed the same as she, looked embarrassed to be seen with her. The sad thing is, if what I was wearing suddenly came back into mainstream fashion and she could pull herself out of her sports gear, she would have worn it without hesitation and would have sworn black and blue that she had it right and I had it wrong.

Most of the time I can't afford to wear vintage or even repro and besides I live in a rural area and sometimes even getting from the front door to the car can be an issue! I also have incredibly curly hair and for love nor money cannot do vintage hair very well so I look like the love child of Marc Bolan so I'm in no position to judge someone else's hair.

So, no, I'm not precious but I do get a bee in my bonnet when as I said earlier in this post, the chavs are wearing what they previously laughed at me for wearing.

I read an article once that said you should NEVER wear vintage head to toe as you would look like you were going to a fancy dress party. Prom dresses should be worn with day-glo fishnet ankle socks and clashing day-glo stilletoes and with a t-shirt underneath the dress. I'd rather wear the dress and some pretty shoes and look like I was going to a fancy dress do to this fashion stylists eyes, than look like CoCo the Clown's badly dressed sister.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
The only time I get upset by era mixing etc etc, is when I am at a WWII event. It gets my stockings in a twist when I see obviously modern stuff that could never pass for vintage(maybe 80's!) and not dressing age, season and weather appropraite. Just b/c it's summer yes it is the season for sheer dreses but, hhmmmm.... its been pouring down rain for a week!C/mon ladies lets not turn this into a 1940's version of the wet t shirt contest!:eek: In my everyday wardrobe I mix eras. I wear what I like, but for WWII it better be spot on or at least look like you made some form of effort!
I will get off my soapbox now!:D

Samantha

MissHannah

One Too Many
You know what, I do catch myself being a snob sometimes but I really dislike myself for it - it's only a reflection of my own insecurities. I really believe we should all get to feel and act like "hot sh*t" from time to time, regardless of how we appear to others. I definitely don't believe anyone should be looked down upon for having a bit of a pot belly - if she feels good then I say HURRAH! How many gorgeous women walk around thinking they are ugly as sin and an 'unacceptable' shape?! Well, how great that someone less than perfect can feel so fabulous in this judgemental society of ours!!

Let's not forget that generations of women battled so that we could have the right to choose to wear or not wear corsets, stockings, foundation garments and trousers (oh and little things like voting and working!). The very fact that we are sitting here expressing these opinion freely to each other... well... ok, I'm just rambling now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo