Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preoccupation with the Size of Your Straw?

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
I have noticed a trend amoungst our group. Most of our guys seem to prefer larger brimmed Panamas.

When I got my straw, I asked for a big because I was so used to seeing an Indy style fedora on my head. I wanted the front of the brim to have size to it.

I was wondering if the Indy thing has caused us to lean towards big brims. Thoughts?

Looking back, I now wish I had gotten a bit smaller brim on my straw.

belloqdrink.jpg

portbelloq.jpeg

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
It all boils down to personal taste MK. The hat pictured above is no more than 2 1/2" and still looks good.
I am starting to get more concerned with the obsession with weave count and the "mine is better than yours" thing that is starting to creep in. Yes, we all want "the best" we can buy, but that doesn't make others bad. I used to show my cars and in fact judged many car shows but finally stopped because to me, whether it's a model A ford or a Bugatti, they are still great mechanical machines and don't need comparison, just appreciation. I would like to see the same attitude here as I love almost all hats ( OK,..is a stingy brim still a hat??)))

Bogie1943

Practically Family
I agree, it does come down to personal taste, just like in fine cigars or fine spirits. Personally, brim very small brim sizes just look right on me, those 1 1/2 type sizes. I like something around 2 inches with a good snap to it. I love the Belloq panama very much though, the brim is about as small as I am willing to go. I like the style of panama hats in general, wide brims don't work for me with a panama, by wide I mean those 3 + inch brims. Brims for me are between 1 3/4' and 2 3/4'.

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I like a fairly substantial brim, but that's primarily for skin cancer consideration, and the fact that I am big and need a larger brim for balance. Personally, I don't think that 2.5" brims are that stingy. 2" may be a bit smallish, but not on some folks.

Weave count doesn't bother me. I have fine weave, medium, and coarse, and they're all good hats. I'm just glad we're still able to get them.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yes indeed

"Size Matters"..oh what were we on?

I agree with Matt, the brim on a straw by design is to protect you from the sun. Balance of shape and crown and brim width still take consideration with your height , weight, and build.

I look very stupid in a stingy brim, and the 2 1/2 to 3" is best on me. Because I'm not very tall, the wider brims look better with a pencil roll to the edge.

All in all, you have to get something you look good in.

And Art, yes, all hats are good, but admit that we are becoming more refined. You have seen lots of junk out there, but to someone who has no cash, or only wants the occasional hat....you are very very correct.

IMHO: ANY return of hat wearing - and maybe with global warming, skin cancerrs, etc. - we will see a resurgence of men (and women) who won't go out until properly attired in a hat. I pray for this!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
And Art, yes, all hats are good, but admit that we are becoming more refined. You have seen lots of junk out there, but to someone who has no cash, or only wants the occasional hat....you are very very correct

Andy, you are most familiar with my collection and attitudes so I expect you to understand. The only reason my collection is as extensive and as refined is that I joined the business to be able to collect the best for myself and sell off what i don't want. It has grown to much more than that now but I still remember my first hats and how much I loved them thinking they were just the top. As I grew in knowledge, I found out more about quality and gradually kept refining. My fear is that there might not be room for that "newbie" that I used to be in this conversation forum if we aren't careful about the "hat snob" thing. Yes, we all have our levels of education ( hat wise) but I want the guy with the Model A to be just as comfortable here as the Bugatti guy. I know that you do also but I thought I'd put it out there.

Imahomer

Practically Family
Art brings up a good point in relation to the "newbies" out there.

I don't consider myself a big hat guy, although I do have a few. When I check to see to see what the current topics are that are being posted here most of them revolve around hats. That's great and I read them and try to bring myself up to speed on them as well.

We just need to keep in mind that everyone is at a different level and not assume people know what the advanced hat guys know. In visiting with Art this last Sunday, I found he would sometimes start talking over my head. When I got lost, he made a point of coming back to make sure I followed.

It might be nice to post some sort of basic hat stuff so the new guys can pick up some information without having to feel like they are stupid by asking others. Or worse, just not asking.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Questions

I have been told that the only stupid question is the one that is not asked......

I don't for one pretend to know 1/2 as much as Art..and he often provides me with the bacdkground or reference that I need.

EVERY member on this board....has valued information..which is why this is such a great forum to exchange ideas. You don't see attacks here as in other places when someone asks what some consider a "dumb question".

Like I said before....I love this place.

Michaelson

One Too Many
Art, thank you for voicing the problem many have privately voiced to me regarding many hat discussions, both here and at COW. When one reaches the rarified air of the higher end hats, and won't 'stoop' to even discuss anything below that range, all discussion stops when it comes to attracting new folks. I've worn fedoras for over 30+ years, and know enough to make me dangerous regarding the history of a particular style I like. In comparison to the combined knowledge of this group, I will always fall into the category of a 'newbie', as I have the interest, but not the drive to emerse myself much deeper than I already have in the subject. I just enjoy wearing my hats, as they are a daily tool for me.....like my watches (which I DO have a passon for). I have been 'snubbed' out of many discussions when that attitude of 'mine is better than yours' pops up, and because of that, I don't post as often as I used to. A lot of the 'fun' disappears when you're seeking information, only to be 'slapped down' by someone who believes you're trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Personally, I may LIKE that sow's ear!:rage: I've seen sites completely splinter into spin off groups due to these type 'mine is the best, period' attitudes and discussions that occur on a regular basis, and I'm not talking about the Indy hobby either!
So, preach on, my friend! Hopefully it will register. I'll keep reading and absorbing what I need to make educated purchases for covering my cranium. I really need to invest in a straw myself, but keep using a felt for the summer heat, and it's already 'summer' over here in Tennessee!:confused: ;) High regards. Michaelson

rick5150

One of the Regulars
Art,

I do not post here much, but I will say that that was one of the smartest posts I have read anywhere. Never forget where you came from on the way to where you are going. Thanks for that...

Kwebs

New in Town
While I don't post much I do read this board everyday. I've learned so much here all I have to say is Thank You to every person on this board.

Dave

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
You guys are lucky that have hat stores where you live. I have nothing in my area. I have bought 9 hats from Panamabob different blocks weave count etc. The shorter brims just didn't look good on me so several friends recieved hats as gifts from me.
The 2 7/8 to 3 1/8 brim is my favorite brim size

schwammy

Familiar Face
Here's my thought on the matter. An Indy hat has a tall crown offset by a narrower brim on the side. Since panamas can't be dimensionally cut, you start out with a wider brim on the sides, which, if combined with the tall crown, can start to look like a cowboy hat, especially if you don't have a fuller face to balance the giant hat. Some panamas make me look like Curious George's friend, The Man in the Big Yellow Hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR