Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Preparing a hat for sale/shipping

new2hats

A-List Customer
Does anyone have any advice on how to spruce up a hat before shipping it?

I was thinking of steaming it, and brushing it. Anything else?

Also, do I want to put one of those silica gel packets in the box to prevent moisture?

Thanks!

A steam + brush is a good idea. I think it's a good idea to have some type of plastic covering during shipping. I mostly use tissue paper for for packing (sometimes bubble wrap).

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
No need for silica - it's not going to be that long in a box. Crush protection of some sort is essential. Plastic bag might be useful if the box gets wet.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
A little while back I recieved a hat from a fellow lounger, who had cut up another box and taped the cardboard into a cylinder for the crown to rest in. In combination with some small air-filled plastic bags for shipping plus a little bubble wrap, the hat was extremely well protected.

new2hats

A-List Customer
I sent the hat. I ended up brushing it. I didn't steam it just in case it would somehow ruin the hat or cause moisture in the ribbon or hat band while shipping. Next time I will steam.

Since it was in its original box, I just put it into a bigger box and put bubble wrap around it and peanuts to fill the corners. The cost ended up being nearly 4x what Ebay estimated!

Thanks for your help, I have a few hats left to sell, without the original hat box, so I'll try the above.

Joshua Heard

New in Town
Question on how to ship a Stetson cowboy?

I picked up a stetson cowboy hat a few weeks ago and now i want to sell it. I have never shipped one of these before where can i get a box that will fit it properly and what kind of packing should i use? The hat measures about 16" long x 15" wide and 6" tall

here's a picture

DSC05765.jpg

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

Put it in the box it came in and put a shipping label on it........ Did you not get the box when you bought it?

johnnycanuck

Go to the store you bought it form (or any tack shop) and ask if they have any extra boxes kicking about. Tell them its to store your hat when you are not wearing it. Maybe you will get it for free :)
That's what I would do.
Johnny

1930artdeco

Practically Family
Ok. I have some hat that need some work done to them. What are your ideas and recommendations as far as packing and shipping? Do you pack them with some sort of form inside the hat? Put them a hat box and then inside another box?

thanks,

mike

My packaging depends on my purpose in shipping them. If it’s going to a hatter for reblocking I don’t do much more than place it inside a plastic bag and box it up. I don’t allow for any acute bends, but the hat can arrive bit misshapen.

If I need the hat to arrive in the same condition as it was before it shipped, such as when I’m selling a hat, I’ll go to more effort. I often cut a strip of cardboard deeper than the depth of the crown and long enough to form a ring when the ends are taped to allow the crown to rest inside. I’ll put the hat in a plastic bag and then put the ring in a box and set the hat crown down into the inside of the ring. I’ll use packaging materials to support the hat and keep it centered in the box. The box has to be big enough to not touch the hat: only the cardboard ring should make contact with the hat (or the bag that the hat is in). A too small box will cause the hat to deform. I always use a top layer of bubble wrap or heavy paper to protect the hat if the receiver isn’t careful and opens the box with a knife. Also, make sure the box is of a sufficient quality to allow for rough handling in shipping without damaging the hat.

On some less expensive hats I’ll forgo the “ring” and just pack the hat with lots of packing materials...this is a great way to get rid of foam peanuts if you have them.

My packaging depends on my purpose in shipping them. If it’s going to a hatter for reblocking I don’t do much more than place it inside a plastic bag and box it up. I don’t allow for any acute bends, but the hat can arrive bit misshapen.

If I need the hat to arrive in the same condition as it was before it shipped, such as when I’m selling a hat, I’ll go to more effort. I often cut a strip of cardboard deeper than the depth of the crown and long enough to form a ring when the ends are taped to allow the crown to rest inside. I’ll put the hat in a plastic bag and then put the ring in a box and set the hat crown down into the inside of the ring. I’ll use packaging materials to support the hat and keep it centered in the box. The box has to be big enough to not touch the hat: only the cardboard ring should make contact with the hat (or the bag that the hat is in). A too small box will cause the hat to deform. I always use a top layer of bubble wrap or heavy paper to protect the hat if the receiver isn’t careful and opens the box with a knife. Also, make sure the box is of a sufficient quality to allow for rough handling in shipping without damaging the hat.

On some less expensive hats I’ll forgo the “ring” and just pack the hat with lots of packing materials...this is a great way to get rid of foam peanuts if you have them.
I echo everything Deadly states in this post......adding one thing. Check the dimensions of the box and check the USPS online calculator....size matters. If you keep it under, in the US I think it is 16x16x7" you get the cheapest rate.

I echo everything Deadly states in this post......adding one thing. Check the dimensions of the box and check the USPS online calculator....size matters. If you keep it under, in the US I think it is 16x16x7" you get the cheapest rate.

For US shipping the magic number is 36 inches (length + height + width). Go over 36” combined and prices go WAY UP WAY FAST!

It gets tricky when you’re shipping to Europe and trying to get ten or more hats into a single box to save on shipping. Tightly wrapping the crowns, including the ribbon, in plastic wrap helps to keep the ribbons from getting wrinkled when stacking them. It’s not a cure-all, but it can mitigate some issues.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
When I bought a Stetson Sovereign from The Village Hat Shop in San Diego they shipped it to me in an original Stetson box. Reading what others have written with regard size and shipment cost I can concur that it gets seriously expensive. My hat in it's box, placed inside a courier bag cost fifty five dollars to the UK.
stetson_box.jpg stetson-box.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart