Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

President Roosevelts Top Hat

fedoracentric

Banned
I had this in a previous thread, I know it is the "other" Roosevelt, but I think it fits here too...

I have to say, I found this Knox advertisement from 1910 hilarious.

So, Knox noticed a photo of President Teddy Roosevelt waving away the Great White Fleet as it steamed off across the oceans in a world-wide show of American force just before WWI. Teddy was waving his topper and inside the topper was a clear Knox logo. So, Knox wanted to use a close up of Prez TR's hand holding the Knox hat. Teddy said, no way did he want to be used to sell Knox hats. He didn't think it was right to have a president used to sell something.

So, instead of using the actual photo, Knox had someone draw the image and they used it anyway!

View attachment 16982
View attachment 16983
View attachment 16984

fedoracentric

Banned
I've been watching that PBS series "The Roosevelts" and the amazing thing is that nearly every photo they have shown of FDR he has a different hat on his head! The man must have had hundreds of them over his life time. Yes, he was a very, very rich man, but sheese. He was a big hat-a-holic.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I've been watching that PBS series "The Roosevelts" and the amazing thing is that nearly every photo they have shown of FDR he has a different hat on his head! The man must have had hundreds of them over his life time. Yes, he was a very, very rich man, but sheese. He was a big hat-a-holic.
Unlike myself. :eeek::eeek::eeek:

Is it really silk, or is it beaver? It's still a very nice hat, if in somewhat rough shape.

It is most likely Silk Plush that has been brushed against the nap by mistake. Condition wise it has some problems. I haven't heard of the maker (Cross) which could be the case maker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24