Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Price of Gas

You can get a federal license for this purpose if you have the desire, land, etc. I've read a number of people are doing this.
http://www.ttb.gov/forms/f511074.pdf
The downside to using commercial production for our fuel is that it has created food shoratges in parts of the world. Everything has an impact - often times it's not thought well through before folks jump on the bandwagon...

Treetopflyer

Practically Family
I grew up in Minnesota and I remember in the early eighties the local gas stations used to have “Gas Wars” in that they would lower their prices more than other gas stations in town in order to get more business. Wish they still did that.

About the article “As in WWII, the president should limit oil profits”, Countries like the US and the UK are not in a war like WWII. During that war every citizen knew they were at war and all of them had to make sacrifices. Unless they are in the military or know someone in the military, the average citizen can’t even tell we are at war. The average person doesn't have to sacrifice anything.

m0nk

One Too Many
I grew up in Minnesota and I remember in the early eighties the local gas stations used to have “Gas Wars” in that they would lower their prices more than other gas stations in town in order to get more business. Wish they still did that.

About the article “As in WWII, the president should limit oil profits”, Countries like the US and the UK are not in a war like WWII. During that war every citizen knew they were at war and all of them had to make sacrifices. Unless they are in the military or know someone in the military, the average citizen can’t even tell we are at war. The average person doesn't have to sacrifice anything.
Yeah, the last gas war I remember was around '97, the town I lived in was getting a new Wawa (local version of a large mini-mart, sandwich shop, and gas station rolled into one) in the vicinity of two other gas stations. The gas war brought the price down to $.69/gallon! Man, I miss those days...

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How many people here are looking into alternative fuel sources (either cars or home heating) as a result of high fuel prices?

When the missus and I were choosing an apartment, we specifically chose our apartment because it had no AC, was walking distance to work and used radiant steam heat.

I don't care what political party is in office - they are all the same in the US when it comes to oil. Whether we tap our reserves or conquer a 3rd world country or make bargains with "the enemy", we lean on oil entirely too much.

The price of petrol will only increase with time, as sure as death and taxes. It's a limited resource and a pool of potential wealth; or in other words too many people are going to get fat on reaping the profits of oil. No chance it's going to be given away.

It's better to find a job near your home and ride to work than it would be to keep guzzling oil. Someday, that might be your only option. If some wealthy oil man has your balls in a box, grab you're glove and play somewhere else.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
It's better to find a job near your home and ride to work than it would be to keep guzzling oil. Someday, that might be your only option. If some wealthy oil man has your balls in a box, grab you're glove and play somewhere else.

This, of course, only works for people who make a living off of something other than the land and have the money to live where the work is. The people who have to live far out or a large distance from major employers (farmers and the impoverished) are otherwise stuck. And you can argue that farmers have zero commute- but they still need to go out and buy their own groceries, transport their children to school, and bring in raw materials.

The area we are moving to has an average rent base of $250-300 a month. The nearby small city where most of the jobs are has an average rent base of $1,500 a month, plus higher educational costs, parking costs, etc. It's the same thing with inner cities in my area- these places are deserts of employment- but the only places with cheap rent. It's far more expensive to live close to work where I live than to live far away- even if gas tripled in price. Being able to afford to live within walking distance of your job where I come from really is a luxury- all the jobs are in the suburbs or in well-off cities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran