Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proper relaxed A2 fit

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
This is me in my old size 42 Sefton. My biggest pet peeve was that the armholes were pretty big and the jacket would ride up when I reached for things.

I'm pretty sure I was totally in the camp for more fitted.

I ended up selling it thinking I'd get a 40 reg in hopes that I would do better with the smaller size.
Sefton
A21-vi.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------

Having not gotten the 40, but needing a new one I got a Steve McColgen A2 which I'm starting to wear about. I'm liking the 42 fit better as I'm pretty sure the armholes are smaller than the ones on my last jacket. I'll have to post some pics of the fit when I have a shot.

10411797_10152168330793811_7856701135485859135_n.jpg

Sir Jacket

Practically Family
A-2s need to be trim-fitting. Otherwise they just make you look older. The A-2 is not a naturally flattering cut, hence the need for a close fit. Painful to some (in whichever way you wish to take that?) but true.

I have just bought a trim A-2 from Eastman and it is beautiful.

SJ

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Historically, I think the A-2 became a jacket with a preferred looser fit as it was worn as a top layer over scarves and vests due to high altitude flights in the cold.

The earlier A-2 jackets

The A-1 and the A-2 were originally worn as wind breakers in open cockpit planes and when the wind is whipping around, a more fitted jacket usually is the better option. But as WWII went on, I'm thinking that the A-2 as worn in closed cockpit conditions was just worn looser so that the wearer could have more options underneath.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Historically, I think the A-2 became a jacket with a preferred looser fit as it was worn as a top layer over scarves and vests due to high altitude flights in the cold.

The earlier A-2 jackets

The A-1 and the A-2 were originally worn as wind breakers in open cockpit planes and when the wind is whipping around, a more fitted jacket usually is the better option. But as WWII went on, I'm thinking that the A-2 as worn in closed cockpit conditions was just worn looser so that the wearer could have more options underneath.

This is spot on.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
Gee, didn't we do this argument/debate last week?

1. There are slim cut and looser (N.B. not 'loose') cut original wartime contract A-2's. We know this from surviving jackets and patterns.
2. There was never any official enforcement of a 'trim fit' what-so-ever.
3. For those obsessed with the concept that an A-2 must be almost skin tight to be correct (and if yours isn't, you must be a fatty/old man/uncool), then check out Steve McQueens A-2 in TGE. As Seb Lucas (IIRC) pointed out when he posted a still from the movie last week, McQueens A-2 was drooping off his shoulders by about an inch and a half.
4. The A-2 IS a flattering cut, even in it's later, wider cut. Properly fat people are not 'flattered' by any cut of clothing of any sort what-so-ever. they look fat no matter what they wear.

Edward

Bartender
What the QM threw at a new recruit and/or what they managed to horsetrade it for played a role, certainly.

tonypaj

Practically Family
It looks to me that the A-2s are all over the place, and that the fleece jackets bigger than fashionable here now. Practical reasons for all of that, as anyone who's ever done their military service will be able to attest.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I prefer a loose fit. It looks more "utilitarian", implying "Yeah, I could size down and look like a model, but I like to allow myself to wear a sweater underneath, so I get more use out of the garment and I'm not making it a fashion piece, I didn't bark back at the QM and ask to size down, and I prefer to focus on more important things such as piloting my aircraft, so bug off".

Last edited:

Justhandguns

Practically Family
The definition of the A-2 fit, as been debated in so many different places and so many years, is still haunting us. My conclusion is, the one that fits perfectly on person A does not mean it fits B well. I bought various A-2s and find them all fit differently. Just take a look.

combined.jpg

First one is size 38 Aero 38-1711-P, middle one is BK size 38 Dubow 1755, last one is Eastman size 40 .50Cal.
They all look different and they all fit differently.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The A-2 is a relaxed fit jacket. It is after all a field jacket. There is a mention of this somewhere that the cut is based on ppl in the 40s who are not as heavy build as today's ppl. I think when most ppl talks about the modern cut, they are likely to be referring to the over-sized styling like Tom Cruise in the Top Gun. I have not heard anyone here saying that an authentic A-2 should be skin tight.
Incidentally, if you read the thread on current issue A-2, you will see that most ppl in those photos have forgone the over-sized style.

Last edited:

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
As has been said many times before, the A-2 is a young, slim man's jacket. I think it's particularly unforgiving of a beer gut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn