Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Knopf A2 from the 118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I recently acquired a very well preserved Knopf A2 from a collector in the UK. It was one of the 10,000 A2s made by S. H. Knopf of Boston in 1942. It has an extremely rare leather patch from the 118th Tactical Reconnaissance Squadron, which was part of the famous 23rd Fighter Group, 14th AF in the CBI. The jacket is a size 44, which is marked on the pocket tag. The knits are high quality replacements.

When the jacket arrived it had what appeared to be major's rank insignia sewn on the epaulets. In the right pocket I found a set of leather oak leaves and applied them to the rank tabs. They were a perfect fit, indicating that the vet have removed them post War. They are painted silver indicating the rank of Lt Colonel. Beneath the silver top coat is gold paint which suggests they were over painted on promotion from major. Here is a picture of one of the oak leaves, with silver over the original gold paint.

I have done a significant amount of research in an attempt to identify the owner of the A2. The collector said the rumour was it belonged to a Major Lubner. I have checked out the roster for the 118th. There are six officers who held the rank of major and two of Lt Colonel. For various reasons I have discounted all but one, Major Marvin Lubner who retired from the Air Force post War as a Lt Colonel.

Here's the link to his burial with his rank as Lt Col:
http://files.usgwarchives.net/fl/sumter/cemetery/bushnational81.txt

He subsequently served in the US Air Force in Korea.

Here is a photo of Lubner. His A2 has a wide collar like the Knopf and no collar stand.

None of this is conclusive proof that this is Lubner's A2, but on the basis of the evidence he is a strong candidate and I would welcome any additional help from members here.

When serving as a captain with the 76th FS Lubner shot down six Japanese aircraft as a "Vanguard" squadron pilot flying a P-40, "White 115". Promoted to major in 1944, he was commanding officer of the 118th from June 1945 until the end of the War, flying a P-51K “199”. He is credited with flying that last official mission of World War II.

Here are some more pictures of the jacket.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The Air Force called, they want their piece of history back for the museum!!!! Amazing man, just amazing. Would you wear that badboy out? I don't know if I'd risk it myself, but it's clothing not a piece of art (though that might be debatable. Well done.

Worf

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Very nice. Love the multi piece patch.
I am always intreaged with patches such as these rather than the usual 'Disney' type cartoon characters.
Do you know the meaning of the white spacings around the outer circle? The central figure looks from the Cromwellian period.
JT

aswatland

Thanks. The design of the patch is pre-World War II for 118th Observation Squadron National Guard. The figure is dressed in 17th costume, but I do not know the significance of the white spacings on the upper outer edge.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Thanks. The design of the patch is pre-World War II for 118th Observation Squadron National Guard. The figure is dressed in 17th costume, but I do not know the significance of the white spacings on the upper outer edge.

OK, thanks. Guess I will try to find that out or I will be puzzled till I do.
17th Century costume, yes he looks like engravings of Matthew Hopkins the self styled Witchfinder General who practised his devilish art in the times of the English civil war.

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
OK, thanks. Guess I will try to find that out or I will be puzzled till I do.
17th Century costume, yes he looks like engravings of Matthew Hopkins the self styled Witchfinder General who practised his devilish art in the times of the English civil war.
Found this answer to my own post. Hope you find it interesting also:-

From the site http://www.cbi-history.com/part_vi_118th_trs4.html

CBI Order of Battle

History relates that in 1662 a royal charter was issued by Charles II that among other things resulted in the union of the Hartford and New Haven colonies, a forward step in the formation of the Connecticut colony. In 1687 Sir Edmund Andros, British administrator of the New England colonies, visited Hartford and attempted to execute "quo warranto" proceedings against the royal charter. Tradition explains that in the course of a discussion at night over surrender of the charter, the candles were extinguished and the charter itself (which had been brought to the meeting) was removed from the table and spirited away where it was hidden in a large oak tree, afterwards known as the "Charter Oak."
Thus, history and tradition were combined many years later to produce the insignia of the 118th Observation Squadron that was approved by the War Department in 1928. In 1953 the USAF authorized the addition of a fleur-de-lis to the insignia presumably to commemorate the squadron's service in France during World War I. This emblem in its basic and slightly modified form has been used by the 118th in all its various tactical designations for over 64 years. The insignia represents a colonial secretary running with the royal charter of 1662 to hide it in the oak tree. At the top of the emblem are the letters "F.E.A." printed in international code which stands for the Latin words which means in English: Faithful and Alert - the squadron motto.

There is a load more stuff connected with the squadron if anyone is interested :)

Tex Longhron

New in Town
I have done a significant amount of research in an attempt to identify the owner of the A2. The collector said the rumour was it belonged to a Major Lubner. I have checked out the roster for the 118th. There are six officers who held the rank of major and two of Lt Colonel. For various reasons I have discounted all but one, Major Marvin Lubner who retired from the Air Force post War as a Lt Colonel.

My grandfather was with the 118th TRS stateside and went over to CBI with the squadron in January 1944. He was with the squadron until he was shot down in June 1944 and returned to the states soon thereafter. I have been researching the squadron for many years. Squadron records have Lubner living at Hill House, Park Close - Fetcham, Surrey, England in 1980.

I do not know how prevalent the 'Charter Patch' was at the time Lubner joined the squadron. I know McComas and others did not care for it. One pilot told me he thought it resembled a man running to the toilet with paper in hand because he was suffering from a case of diarrhea.

Hope this helps.

Chris
http://www.118trs.com/

Stand By

One Too Many
PS.
I've been thinking about your jacket whilst I've been working away this afternoon - and thinking that I think it's GREAT that it's fallen in with you after all these years. I mean, it could so easily have been given to some ingrate of a teenage relative and then worn (out) and damaged - or given away on a whim to a thrift store to be picked up by someone who hasn't a clue as to its historical place or owner and lost again somehow - or left to hang in an attic and be eaten by moths or rot in a damp basement or dry garage …
But instead, it fell in with someone who truly appreciates everything about it (even down to the zipper and the thread!) and if I was the previous owner, I'd be as pleased as Punch about that.
Just sayin'.

aswatland

My grandfather was with the 118th TRS stateside and went over to CBI with the squadron in January 1944. He was with the squadron until he was shot down in June 1944 and returned to the states soon thereafter. I have been researching the squadron for many years. Squadron records have Lubner living at Hill House, Park Close - Fetcham, Surrey, England in 1980.

I do not know how prevalent the 'Charter Patch' was at the time Lubner joined the squadron. I know McComas and others did not care for it. One pilot told me he thought it resembled a man running to the toilet with paper in hand because he was suffering from a case of diarrhea.

Hope this helps.

Chris
http://www.118trs.com/

Thanks Chris. I was unaware that Lubner lived in the UK at this time. I know he died in the USA. As far as the patch is concerned I have never seen a Wartime picture of it on an A2 jacket.

thor

Call Me a Cab

Found this answer to my own post. Hope you find it interesting also:-

From the site http://www.cbi-history.com/part_vi_118th_trs4.html

CBI Order of Battle

History relates that in 1662 a royal charter was issued by Charles II that among other things resulted in the union of the Hartford and New Haven colonies, a forward step in the formation of the Connecticut colony. In 1687 Sir Edmund Andros, British administrator of the New England colonies, visited Hartford and attempted to execute "quo warranto" proceedings against the royal charter. Tradition explains that in the course of a discussion at night over surrender of the charter, the candles were extinguished and the charter itself (which had been brought to the meeting) was removed from the table and spirited away where it was hidden in a large oak tree, afterwards known as the "Charter Oak."
Thus, history and tradition were combined many years later to produce the insignia of the 118th Observation Squadron that was approved by the War Department in 1928. In 1953 the USAF authorized the addition of a fleur-de-lis to the insignia presumably to commemorate the squadron's service in France during World War I. This emblem in its basic and slightly modified form has been used by the 118th in all its various tactical designations for over 64 years. The insignia represents a colonial secretary running with the royal charter of 1662 to hide it in the oak tree. At the top of the emblem are the letters "F.E.A." printed in international code which stands for the Latin words which means in English: Faithful and Alert - the squadron motto.

There is a load more stuff connected with the squadron if anyone is interested :)
A history lesson with my morning coffee and TFL. That's why I love this place! Great jacket Andrew!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner