Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Real McCoy’s A2 (Model 220 / MJ22001) sizing

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
Hey everyone, have a question regarding RMC’s newer edition of the A2.

I have trouble figuring out the size, as sites online all have variance in measurements. It was mentioned that RMC updated the fit on a couple pieces, with the A2 being one..

If I wear a 46 in the Flat Head delraiser, is it safe to stick to 46? Or should I go to a 44? Is the change in sizing a drastic change?

Thank you for the help! Looking to buy my first A2 and RMC piece

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sizing within brands doesn't necessarily carry over let alone something like a change of brand and completely different type of jacket.

What is your actual chest size? And what are you looking for out of an A-2?

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
Sizing within brands doesn't necessarily carry over let alone something like a change of brand and completely different type of jacket.

What is your actual chest size? And what are you looking for out of an A-2?
I’m really not sure. I just don’t want it to fit loose and baggy I suppose.

I don’t know my chest size but my only two jackets that I own have a chest measurement of:

Delraiser - 23.5 in (size 46)
Schott / 3sixteen - 25 in (size xl)

My family is in Japan and they were fortunate to pick up the 46 for me. However, a part of me is telling me I “can” do a 44. Or do you think the 46 is fine? I know it’s hard without any measurements and other information..

This is how the Schott looks on me
C88A1A32-6334-4C79-967E-19DB962D25B9.jpeg

And I had my dad put on the A2 to give me an idea of how it fits. Please excuse his dad-gut lol. He obviously can’t close the jacket but the other aspects of the jacket look like it “fits.”
IMG_7187.jpeg
IMG_1265.jpeg

cbez

One Too Many
I am not sure about the RMC version but the trend in Japan rn seems to be very slim fitting a2s.

your schott looks like a good fit. keep in mind any quilting/padding in the lining can change the inner diameter.

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
That’s what I hope is the case too, but what makes me question the fit is that they revamped the sizing from what I’ve read. Maybe I should neglect that and safely assume they’re slim fitted still to an extent?

Aloysius

You should really measure your chest over a t-shirt before guessing based on completely different types of jackets.

Also imo if you want a Japanese A-2, Buzz Rickson's does them much better than (the current) RMC does.

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
You should really measure your chest over a t-shirt before guessing based on completely different types of jackets.

Also imo if you want a Japanese A-2, Buzz Rickson's does them much better than (the current) RMC does.
Measured roughly 48 in.

I didn’t look deep into Buzz Rickson because it looks like the biggest measurement I’ve seen for their A2 in a 44 is a 23 in. Width. I would have loved that alternative tho. This is why leather jackets give me headaches or I’m overthinking all this lol. So much size discrepancy everywhere

Last edited:

Aloysius

Measured roughly 48 in.

If you measured anything close to 48 you shouldn't be considering any of these. Downsizing rarely works but downsizing on Japanese jackets is a fool's errand.

That doesn't mean you're out of luck though. Solid as the Japanese offerings are, I'd take Eastman or Aero over them, and they're available in the full range of sizes. There's a fantastic example of an Eastman in size 48 worn by a member here. And of course Good Wear is rightly vaunted as the best but it's a one man made to order operation so that won't work for something you want right now.

I didn’t look deep into Buzz Rickson because it looks like the biggest measurement I’ve seen for their A2 in a 44 is a 23 in. Width. I would have loved that alternative tho. This is why leather jackets give me headaches or I’m overthinking all this lol. So much size discrepancy everywhere

Generally speaking, Buzz has more to offer in bigger sizes because most of RMC's line is reverse vanity sized (i.e. sized much smaller than you'd assume from the tag) whereas Buzz prizes accurate sizing as part of what they do.

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
If you measured anything close to 48 you shouldn't be considering any of these. Downsizing rarely works but downsizing on Japanese jackets is a fool's errand.

That doesn't mean you're out of luck though. Solid as the Japanese offerings are, I'd take Eastman or Aero over them, and they're available in the full range of sizes. There's a fantastic example of an Eastman in size 48 worn by a member here. And of course Good Wear is rightly vaunted as the best but it's a one man made to order operation so that won't work for something you want right now.

Generally speaking, Buzz has more to offer in bigger sizes because most of RMC's line is reverse vanity sized (i.e. sized much smaller than you'd assume from the tag) whereas Buzz prizes accurate sizing as part of what they do.
Awesome, thank you so much for all this. Really helps me moving forward when it comes to buying without trying on lol.

We’ll see how this 46 fits when it arrives. I’ll make or continue this post to help future buyers of this jacket

Aloysius

For future reference, would you happen to be able to lead me to a 44 in any of the buzz A-2?

I was just talking about how downsizing on Japanese jackets is a disaster waiting to happen. (People on here and especially SF do it quite often, coming out looking like Shinki-skin sausages.)

History Preservation sometimes has them in stock. This model measures out to smaller than your chest, in size 44.

Note his sizing tips: "After finding no substantive conflicts with your body measures obtained from the tab entitled BODY MEASURING, order this garment with no less than 3” of room in excess of your chest measure if you prefer a trim fit. If a roomier or longer fit is desired, then order the next available size after reviewing all relative measures that pertain to that size."

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
MJ22001 just landed! Here’s a pair of pics. Personally love how it fits.

Size 46 Measurements:
Chest - 24.25 in.
Shoulder - 20.5 in.
Length (back of neck hem to bottom of ribbed waist) - 28.25 in

My ONLY complaint is I wish the length was maybe an Inch shorter. Other than that, I absolutely love this jacket

5DC8189A-9EA2-4188-9F1A-4167DC3B3740.jpeg
B2C97EB5-993D-4601-A9E1-9CA0259DE822.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris_K

One of the Regulars
Bautiful jacket man, got the sizing just right.

This latest house A-2 from McCoy's might just be my favourite, it's very close in cut to one of the original Rough Wear contracts from what I've gathered. Look forward to getting my hands on one in the next year or two.

Calvin ilas

Familiar Face
I think for the intended look, the 46 was the right call. A part of me is still used to a trim fit, which made me feel I could have done a 44.

The jacket is also new and stiff which makes it bulky looking. I’m sure once it breaks in it’ll lay a lot better.

I’ll add more pics of the jacket soon for everyone to enjoy

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I think for the intended look, the 46 was the right call. A part of me is still used to a trim fit, which made me feel I could have done a 44.

The jacket is also new and stiff which makes it bulky looking. I’m sure once it breaks in it’ll lay a lot better.

I’ll add more pics of the jacket soon for everyone to enjoy

I don’t think, sizing down would have worked for you. Of course, RMC does the A2 in different patterns, but this one’s a bit blousy by design.

Have a look at mine: It’s a 44 (my usual RMC size) and has a bit of extra room in shoulders and sleeves. However, I couldn‘t comfortably do a 42. That said, despite being well broken in, it still retains that slightly blousy look with the kind of rounded shoulder/chest cut. Doesn‘t make it a less than great jacket, in my book.

IMG_5261.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner