Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Proppa British Brew-up

Miss Sis

One Too Many
chanteuseCarey said:
Miss Sis you look FANTASTIC!! I would loved to have been a volunteer at the YMCA Teavan- I work out at (and am a member of) the YMCA! :) :) :)

Thank you. It didn't actually belong to the YMCA. It belonged to a re-enactor friend of ours who rebuilt it from a chassis. He sold it not long before he died. We have very happy memories of events serving lots of tea though. :eek:

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hmm...It'd be nice to have a repro. style mug that has that 'Keep Calm and Drink Tea' on it. :)

Where can one buy a genuine British reproduction tea mug? I drink up to 6 cups of tea a day (though not black because of the acidity) and I think it would just be a neat way to enjoy my tea.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Another few great pictures of tea and the forces. The chap in the other thread after the service mugs should enjoy these as well. An ANZAC theme to these images.

Kiwis and Aussies in Egypt just after the evacuation from Greece

G105_greece13.jpg

Kiwis in Italy brewing up

WH2DiSiP035a.jpg

NZ troops in front of a mobile ANZAC canteen in 1917 on the Western Front

mpnatlibgovtnz.jpg

Kiwis in the Western Desert

men-with-mugs.jpg

Aussies on the Western Front

awm-e00456.jpg

Aussies in London enjoying a cuppa with the High Commissioner Bruce Stanley

HU056470.jpg

/|\

One of the Regulars
Prien said:
Hmm...It'd be nice to have a repro. style mug that has that 'Keep Calm and Drink Tea' on it. :)

Where can one buy a genuine British reproduction tea mug? I drink up to 6 cups of tea a day (though not black because of the acidity) and I think it would just be a neat way to enjoy my tea.

What Price Glory has reproduction brown ones with good reviews.

Brown%20Mug.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
In England 'mashing' tea is how you revive a pot for 'second helpings' by adding more boiling water and pressing the leaves at the bottom of the pot with a spoon to get the last flavour out of them. In the first instance you brew, in the second you mash.

Usage changes all over the world, I'm sure.

BinkieBaumont said:
"I'm not sure why but I say "Mash" instead of "Brew"

kampkatz

Practically Family
One of my favorite BBC series was "Upstairs, Downstairs." Mrs. Bridges
would always offer someone a "Nice cup of tea" when the occasion called for it. That's when I began to appreciate the British custom.

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
H.Johnson said:
Errr... this is wartime British beer ration being referred to. Not in cans until Long Life in the 1960s...

However, if the can in the photo IS Heineken as has been suggested, it is hardly Brit issue beer!lol Captured stock, eh?

Tom

benstephens

Practically Family
Smithy said:
Aussies in London enjoying a cuppa with the High Commissioner Bruce Stanley

HU056470.jpg

Smithy, that shows the unusual shape of the YMCA mugs very well. Quite rare to find an original now.

Kindest Regards

BEn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner