Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PULP FICTION,... Old comic books

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I recently purchased a few old comics. By old I mean pre-1960.
The crown jewel, so to speak, of my new collection is this 1949 issue of " Headline Comics".
It's got it all, guns, fast cars, dames, and crime and punishment.
Anyone else into this genre of comics?
pulpfiction001.jpg

pulpfiction003.jpg

pulpfiction004.jpg

Check out the hats and suits on this bunch, especially the zoot suit that the boss, "Big Mike" is wearing.
pulpfiction002.jpg

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Cool, an expert :)

Nick, I'm interested in findin out more about 1940s-50s comics that are in the "fast cars, dames, and crime and punishment" genre, but NOT in the "oozing bloody corpse zombies and/or deformed creature babies" genre, which seems to be mostly what I saw at a recent comic book convention.

So what not-terribly-hard-to-find-or-insanely-expensive comic titles or series would you reccomend for someone who enjoys Dashiell Hammett ("The Maltese Falcon") & Raymond Chandler ("The Big Sleep")?

- C H

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Usta be BIG into comics, but that was over 6 years ago. Havent had the time to get back into it.

But these posted are mega rad! I love the stippled coloring!

LD

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Very much so lol

Its just refreshing and so darn cool to see that. Modern comics are all digitally painted to try and look so real (lets not get into how body proportions drawn today will never achieve that lol) that you dont get the true feel for the medium as you usta.

Ahhh, to have a collection of the old good stuff :rolleyes:

Ill add that to my dream list.

LD

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cousin Hepcat said:
Cool, an expert :)

Nick, I'm interested in findin out more about 1940s-50s comics that are in the "fast cars, dames, and crime and punishment" genre, but NOT in the "oozing bloody corpse zombies and/or deformed creature babies" genre, which seems to be mostly what I saw at a recent comic book convention.

So what not-terribly-hard-to-find-or-insanely-expensive comic titles or series would you reccomend for someone who enjoys Dashiell Hammett ("The Maltese Falcon") & Raymond Chandler ("The Big Sleep")?

- C H
Well I'm hardly what could be called an expert, Cousin, as I am starting over in comics after a 30 year hiatus, but it seems from my limited knowledge that I have gathered thusfar, that most of the comics from before 1965 or so, were much more tame than the gory, more modern stuff you decry. (I do too, by the way.)
Detective Comics as recommended by Fletch, and the Headline comic series that I just discovered seem to be safe bets. I think the problem here is that these are becoming so old,...60 years plus, that there are really very few examples extant today. I was quite amazed at finding this somewhat tattered copy of Headline # 38 from 1949. The paper they were printed on contains acid, so sadly, they will ultimately disintegrate, unless preservation methods can be employed, such as applying a buffer to the paper to neutralize the acid.
As to more suggestions for further reading, I will leave that up to the true experts here. :)

jdjs

Familiar Face
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Well I'm hardly what could be called an expert, Cousin, as I am starting over in comics after a 30 year hiatus, but it seems from my limited knowledge that I have gathered thusfar, that most of the comics from before 1965 or so, were much more tame than the gory, more modern stuff you decry. (I do too, by the way.)

I guess I can claim a little expertise in this field (I've been collection for over 30 years.) You are right about the dates or so, but the actual range is probably better described as:
- thirties until 1954: relatively tamer scaling towards semi-gory. They start innocently enough, but with the introduction of horror and "true crime" lines, the violence becomes more graphic
-1954 until the '80s: "enforced" Comics Code. These are tame (but to an extent, much more creative initially, as the writers had to be). There are a few oddities springing up, but generally mild.
- late '80s to present: as comics moved to independent publishers, the code restrictions vanish and comics become darker (and I too agree with the assessment that it went too far). That being said, the pendulum is starting to move back again.

Early Detective Comics are great; check out early Adventure and a handful of Action comics as well. And there's classics like Gangbusters that are wonderful.

Still an open wound.

Before I went away to college in September of 1975, I took all of my comic books from about the mid 60's on and carefully wrapped them up then boxed them. I put them in an out of the way spot in the cellar. When I came back for Christmas break, I found my mother had thrown them out, I still can't forgive her. She has always had a history of throwing out my stuff with out asking and while Iwas out. As such, I have always wished I had done a little pay back by throwing out all of her jewelry and family pictures or something to that effect, but respect private property rights too much to do so.:rage:

Barry

Practically Family
I absolutely love graphic novels and comics. I'm not into the Superhero genre much but I love pulp, noir and true-crime based books.

Darkhorse recently re-released It Rhymes With Lust.

From Wikipedia:

"Comics writer-artist Michael T. Gilbert wrote in liner notes for 2006 reprinting in The Comics Journal that it "reads like a B-movie potboiler, bubbling over with greed, sex, and political corruption". The cover tagline reads: "She was greedy, heartless and calculating. She knew what she wanted and was ready to sacrifice anything to get it."

IRWL-FC-SOL.jpg

I subscribe to Comics Journal but I also bought the Darkhorse book.

I also really enjoyed Torso by Brian Michael Bendis - it's about the Torso murders and Elliot Ness. I guess it would be considered "historical fiction."

Barry

Staggerly

New in Town
DC's been releasing collected volumes of their earliest superhero comics and I jumped at Batman (beginning in '39). They're AWFUL as anything other than a cultural artifact (but I guess that's why we're all here!).

As a funny aside, I was researching another 1930's comic book character, "The Arrow, and I discovered this: "At first, he fought the traditional mob-style gangsters associated with the genre, but soon found himself fighting a mad scientist, a woman mob leader, and eventually fifth columnists trying to bring the US into the war in Europe." :eusa_doh: lol Oh well, hindsight and all that.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
jdjs said:
I guess I can claim a little expertise in this field (I've been collection for over 30 years.) You are right about the dates or so, but the actual range is probably better described as:
- thirties until 1954: relatively tamer scaling towards semi-gory. They start innocently enough, but with the introduction of horror and "true crime" lines, the violence becomes more graphic
-1954 until the '80s: "enforced" Comics Code. These are tame (but to an extent, much more creative initially, as the writers had to be). There are a few oddities springing up, but generally mild.
- late '80s to present: as comics moved to independent publishers, the code restrictions vanish and comics become darker (and I too agree with the assessment that it went too far). That being said, the pendulum is starting to move back again.

Early Detective Comics are great; check out early Adventure and a handful of Action comics as well. And there's classics like Gangbusters that are wonderful.
Yes! I think you are the person I was looking for here. :) Thanks for your input and the information. Please post some pictures if you could. We would love to see them.
The main thing about these old comics that appeals to me,(and I think I can dare speak somewhat for a few others) is the sheer creativity in them, the art,...I love it! :D

jdjs

Familiar Face
John in Covina said:
Before I went away to college in September of 1975, I took all of my comic books from about the mid 60's on and carefully wrapped them up then boxed them. I put them in an out of the way spot in the cellar. When I came back for Christmas break, I found my mother had thrown them out, I still can't forgive her. She has always had a history of throwing out my stuff with out asking and while Iwas out. As such, I have always wished I had done a little pay back by throwing out all of her jewelry and family pictures or something to that effect, but respect private property rights too much to do so.:rage:

While I can sympathize, I am thankful for some of these mothers. Back when I was first collecting (mid seventies), there were few comic stores. So, the group of collecting friends and I had "the route;" literally a walking tour of seventeen used bookstores. Many a treasure from well meaning parents turned up at these (usually for a nickel a pop.) The best day was hitting one store where entire runs of sixties DC comics appeared in the bin. The owners (who were used to us) sold them to us for a couple bucks a box. Extreme joy followed ...

At least I am far enough away that I know they weren't yours!

jdjs

Familiar Face
QUOTE=Maj.Nick Danger]Yes! I think you are the person I was looking for here. :) Thanks for your input and the information. Please post some pictures if you could. We would love to see them.
The main thing about these old comics that appeals to me,(and I think I can dare speak somewhat for a few others) is the sheer creativity in them, the art,...I love it! :D
[/QUOTE]

Have to agree with earlier comments in regards to modern comics. While there are bright spots ever so often, the older tends to be more enjoyable. And of course, the older, the less I can resist (regardless of genre, condition, etc.)

Will do - need to venture into the "scary room" (my nephew's name for my ever shifting comic room) and dig some out for scanning. Happen to have one handy, though . . .

blk001.gif

marxalot

New in Town
A quick note, for anyone who yearns for that pulpy look/feel/read that the slick books the major houses have been cranking out lack: check out Francesco Francavilla's blog, http://pulpsunday.blogspot.com/ I ran across it while looking for some pulp-style images to show friends, and it really is a great site. He's a working artist, has a few books running right now (one of which I am now devotedly following- Batman Detective Comics), and he's got a great feel for line and action that is sadly lacking these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo