Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puppini Sisters

GOK

One Too Many
I really, really don't like their rendition of Wuthering Heights. When I first heard it, I was amused but that was when the album was released and since then, I've grown to detest it! I do however, love Panic and I Will Survive. The swing covers they've done are very average IMO and much better done before. I like that they've rearranged material such as Heart of Glass etc - this is refreshing but the swing stuff? Not that good.

I saw them completely by accident on breakfast TV earlier this week and I'm sad to say they were apalling. I was actually quite shocked. Even more so when I realised that at least one of them was miming. Doubly bad - you can make allowances for live performances but mimed?

Still, I shall be interested to hear your opinion Sari, and I sincerely hope you have a wonderful time.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
CherryBombRock said:
I don't really like the Puppini Sisters. I bought their album when it came out, had a listen and took it back! I saw them on tv last saturday as well (I think it was The Princes Trust or something like that at least!) and wasn't too impressed with their voices (a bit wobbly live - but not that I can do any better!). Also the dresses they were wearing were a bit 'puffy' around the hips and looked strange! Still good that they've bought this kinda music back into the public eye, except I get a lot of "so I guess you like those Puppini Sisters, what with the way you're dressed" when I go out!

I guess I would say they are "okay." I like some of their songs, others I can take or leave. Some of their covers of old tunes are just too fast and jumpy for my tastes. I like the fact that they're bringing back the whole "swing girl trio" thing into the popular eye.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
You can bet he did! I didn´t take the Marlene Burger though - today i tried a vegetarian one ;) If you ever make it to Germany I´ll have to take you to that Burger Place :D

What part of Germany are you from? I'm going to Berlin for two months next year to practice my Deutsch...

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Hi Jazz Baby!

I´m nearby Cologne. Berlin is a nice place, but for me faaaar too big! If you happen to make a trip to Cologne, too I can take you for a little shopping tour around our second-hand-stores and some sight-seeing! I allways love to get visits from like-minded people!

I might be able to give yo some hints about where to go in Berlin since a dear friend of mine happens to live there. It´s Julie, the wonderful lady that does the clothes at www.luckydiva.com.

Hugs,
Sari

JazzBaby

Practically Family
RetroModelSari said:
Hi Jazz Baby!

I´m nearby Cologne. Berlin is a nice place, but for me faaaar too big! If you happen to make a trip to Cologne, too I can take you for a little shopping tour around our second-hand-stores and some sight-seeing! I allways love to get visits from like-minded people!

I might be able to give yo some hints about where to go in Berlin since a dear friend of mine happens to live there. It´s Julie, the wonderful lady that does the clothes at www.luckydiva.com.

Hugs,
Sari

That's really nice of you thanks! My friend lives near Essen and I'll be visiting her at some stage so I'll be sure to drop into Cologne when I'm over that side of the country. I'm really looking forward to it - I'm going to travel around Eastern Europe for a month first so I'm very excited. I've always wanted to visit Germany.

Your website is beautiful, by the way!

Rachel

Kim_B

Practically Family
I can't say I love them...they're alright. One of the girls has the most beautiful voice I've heard in a long time. I'm guessing it's the brunette gal, from some other things I've heard from her. I don't particularly care for their rendition of "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy" as it just sounds jumbled to me, nor do I care for the more modern songs on the album. My favorites off the album are "Java Jive," "Bei Mir Bist Du Schon," "Sway," and "In The Mood." I feel bad for sounding so negative about it; I do listen to the songs I like on a regular basis!

I'm glad though that they are bringing this style of music back!

Eleanor Marie

One of the Regulars
Jury still out....

My hubby got the CD for his birthday. I hate the version of Wuthering Heights but the rest is growing on me a bit. The website is good and I liked the makeup info too. Nice to see and hear something different (for me).

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I actually really like the arrangement they did of Wuthering Heights. At least it's a little different, and not a note-for-note cover of the original version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eltqt