Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puppini Sisters

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hi everyone!
I don't know if this has been brought up in a previous thread - apologies if it has. I was wondering if anyone has heard of the Puppini Sisters, a modern trio along the lines of the Andrews Sisters etc. I've just bought their album, Betcha Bottom Dollar and was very impressed by their vocal talents, singing modern tunes as well as Big Band classics, and by their vintage inspired look so I checked out their website for photos (their costumes are great for clothing ideas). As it turned out, they have a section where people have written to the girls with makeup questions - you can even write to them yourself - and their responses have contained information on their hair techniques and the makeup they wear (I think MAC Russian Red was mentioned...). It isn't a comprehensive makeup site, but interesting to learn the techniques of a band based in vintage.
Again, sorry if I've repeated an earlier post...
Jazz Baby

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Ooh, new website, it actually *was* their myspace page until recently! They are pretty cool...I like their style, and I am so glad that someone is doing that kind of music so I can go and watch it live (haven't yet though). But I prefer to listen to the actual Andrews Sisters if I want to hear that kind of music.

I am going to check out the site now though :D

JazzBaby

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
i probably should mention that i directed the video for 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy'.....you can see a clip of it in the 'news stand'.

No way - cool video! It gets a lot of play on the Irish channels. Was there any particular inspiration for the animation style?

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
not really, it just had to be set in the 40s so i suppose a bit of Tex Avery crept in subconsciously. and a touch of Max Fleischer too who did 'Betty Boop' though that cartoon is 30s. i was going to set it all in America as it is about an American bugler, but the Puppini sisters insisted that some of it was to be set in England, so there is a split: the colour stuff is meant to be England in the 40s and the black and white stuff is America featuring the G.I.s.

it was a fun job to work on.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
I can imagine. It's a really good video - I'm not just saying that;) Have you directed any others? Sorry for getting off topic...

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
You're right ... two of the triplets died of undiagnosed cancer. Only Milly is left.

Fun factoid about them:

"The Del Rubio triplets began their performance career as dancers. After high school they moved to Hollywood to pursue their singing careers. 'We had no coach', says lead guitarist Milly. 'We learned by listening to records of our favorite singers.' They became a successful trio that toured along with Bob Hope on his numerous USO appearances. The sisters had to leave Mr. Hope to care for their ailing mother. They were later replaced by a trio called The Andrews Sisters."

Sunny

One Too Many
Well, if we're mentioning other sister acts...

Don't forget the Boswell Sisters! Free music at that link - sorry, mono only. I'm a longtime Andrews Sisters listener (Gee, I sound like a talk-show caller!) but the Boswell Sisters are good! "Heebie Jeebies" is a lot of fun.

Novella

Practically Family
Sunny said:
Don't forget the Boswell Sisters! Free music at that link - sorry, mono only. I'm a longtime Andrews Sisters listener (Gee, I sound like a talk-show caller!) but the Boswell Sisters are good! "Heebie Jeebies" is a lot of fun.

Yeah, the Andrews Sisters are fun to listen to, but I love the Boswell Sisters! Something about their singing beats the Andrews to me.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
What about the McGuire sisters? Saw a really interesting TV movie about them recently, although it was mostly about Phyllis' relationship with Sam Giancana. They seemed to be pretty similar to the Andrews sisters.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I´ll be going to a Puppini Sisters Concert tonight!!! I readed in the newspaper about it when I had lunch and now me and my sweetheart will definately go!!!! I´m very curious!

CherryBombRock

Familiar Face
I don't really like the Puppini Sisters. I bought their album when it came out, had a listen and took it back! I saw them on tv last saturday as well (I think it was The Princes Trust or something like that at least!) and wasn't too impressed with their voices (a bit wobbly live - but not that I can do any better!). Also the dresses they were wearing were a bit 'puffy' around the hips and looked strange! Still good that they've bought this kinda music back into the public eye, except I get a lot of "so I guess you like those Puppini Sisters, what with the way you're dressed" when I go out!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Well to be honest I never listened to a song of them and I just stumbled over them in the Newspaper and decided to give them a try since the tickets aren´t that expensive and I have no plans tonight anyway. :) I´ll give you a review when I´ve seen them ;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
CherryBombRock said:
I don't really like the Puppini Sisters. I bought their album when it came out, had a listen and took it back! I saw them on tv last saturday as well (I think it was The Princes Trust or something like that at least!) and wasn't too impressed with their voices (a bit wobbly live - but not that I can do any better!). Also the dresses they were wearing were a bit 'puffy' around the hips and looked strange! Still good that they've bought this kinda music back into the public eye, except I get a lot of "so I guess you like those Puppini Sisters, what with the way you're dressed" when I go out!

I thought their album was a bit boring. I'd have been more impressed if they'd done some new songs of their own instead of old covers. Like I said upthread, I'd rather listen to the real thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24