Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Now, I've posted a few pics of suits that I wear to events and such, but I don't recall ever posting a pic of my casual attire...And so, here is what I wore today...Again, I know I'm no master of pattern/color coordination and thus I humbly ask for opinions/criticisms...Thank you!

A little more eccentric than usual(though not by much)
DSCF0681.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
Marc Chevalier said:
Very true. Interestingly, though, there were buttondown flannel work/hunting shirts sold in mail order catalogues in the 1890s! These flannel shirts had buttons on the collar points, exactly as the Brooks Brothers ones do.

They're still sold, I'm sure. George Lucas is an infamous wearer of them.

Todays combo. Light brown herringbone tweed 2 piece suit - bit nippy outside. A 70s shirt with a great collar, perfect for pinning. A botany wool tie. Strolling towards the market through William Morris's garden i happened across the flower which i stole (there were hundreds so one isn't going to be missed . . .). I thought it complemented nicely the circular pattern in the tie, both in shape and colouration.

MorrisCombo1.jpg
MorrisCombo2.jpg

bk

J. Brisbin

Familiar Face
Today's thrift store look

Picked up these items recently at a thrift store (shoes, pants, tie, jacket):

DSC_0979.jpg

The Stetson fedora is a recent eBay acquisition. Pants are high-waisted wool (made in Israel), the olive windowpane jacket is Italian, the shoes are Florsheim (not the most comfortable in the world), and the paisley tie is a Wembley. The entire outfit (including new shirt) cost $45. :)

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
090421.jpg

Couldn't let the Baron out-buttoniere me- the jacket is dated '33 (part of a suit but the pants need alterations). It's actually a herringbone pattern with red threads in it- picking up the reds in the tie.

Worn with cream linen flat front slacks for the 30s springtime look
090446.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Wool suit wool tie muted tones with a sharp white shirt and French cuffs. Very Bruce Wayne.
l_b01830a6a4a800d63081b8fae72a657f.jpg

Linen on linen... bit of a out of Africa look... I'll expound later... bottom line it's about the safari 1930's style.
Golf1-vi.jpg

IMG_8834-vi.jpg

IMG_7700-vi.jpg

IMG_6162-vi.jpg

Not as well done though I like the look (ignore the pants i was just trying on the jacket..
IMG_6229-vi.jpg

IMG_6471-vi.jpg

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Baron Kurtz said:
Ben, yes that collar has much less curve than others i have. In fact the curviest, pointiest, longest collared shirt i have is an early 50s Van Heusen number. I was surprised, but it seems van Heusen kept up all their collar styles for a long time.

This may or may not be helpful. I once (long time ago; don't know if anything came of it) tried to help a fellow FLounger in his efforts to have a 30s-accurate American collar created by his shirt maker. I traced a collar from an arrow shirt i have.

This one has more curve towards the tips and is more of the classic long point style (though not nearly so long as the Ellington/Swiss ones posted earlier). I even measured up the angles:

ArrowCollar.jpg

bk

I love this.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
i love the jacket and the trousers... though in this case i think you need more of a contrast between the two. From a distance you don't notice the stripe coordinating with the trousers and to me it just ... well it kinda works... hmmm just not great in my opinion.
BlueTweed1.jpg

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
This was a great thread to read through.

An old pic but here is my attempt at combining patterns.

A plaid jacket with a striped shirt with houndstooth trousers. Did I pass?

DSCF0969002.jpg

Try it out and see. Experiment.

You'll hear an awful lot of "hard and fast, tried and tested, time-honoured" rules that turn out to be little more than piffle and hogwash. Greys and browns work so harmoniously that i'm surprised that that story is still current. I've heard similar rumblings about blue and brown.

All any of us can do is try out combinations. You will undoubtedly look stupid on a number of occasions . . . i do all the time. There will be colours and colour/pattern combinations that because of skin tone, your particular body geometry, etc. etc. just won't work for you. This is how one learns what works and what doesn't. Many's the time i've got all dressed up for the day, stepped outside the house and had to go back in to change because the combination just looked ridiculous.

Experiment.

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou