Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Putting it all together

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Well, the leather elbow pads were something seen on sport/hunting coats from the teens to the 80s... and other custom styled sport coats that has a "sporty/English style.

Shoulder pads are standard on most suits from the 20s to the modern day... of course shoulder pads varied in size... but, were always a standard in suit or sport coat construction for a very long time.

My self, I'm not a fan of the leather elbow pads... they remind me too much of the 70s and 80s fashion... not my cup.

chalkstripe

New in Town
sorry, quoted the wrong image.

Matt Deckard said:
One who has it all together

philippenoiret4yv.jpg

One of my more whimsical looks.
Sittingonatuffet-vi.jpg

SanDiego-Jan-027.jpg

Thanks for the information guys. I know I've seen it in movies but I just never knew what it was. I think there might be room for a comeback, if its modernized with the slim fit trend and maybe with a gun club check or some army-olive colors. uber urban.

mike

Call Me a Cab
Matt Deckard said:
I have been sliding toward the retro sport shoes with the suit look.

l_e9c79e29d1b0500ba421eac28ffa3c65.jpg

Personally, I don't know if I'm feeling this combination. In the opposite direction, I am anxiously awaiting these in the mail...

79f6_12.JPG

It's been a long hunt for a pair of original ankle-high dress shoes/boots that are my size and affordable! I've always thought wearing a suit with these adds such a great touch, because they're one step away from utility wear, a while being a direct descendant of a distinct class originating as early as the victorian era that remained in common wear as late as the 30's. I have a couple of more recent versions of this sort of shoe that are cheap and ok for what they are, but this.. I'm thrilled! I even have an original pair of cat's paw heels for when the heels on these shoes wear out eventually!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I think it does... It worked for making my feet feel better running through Tokyo. Sometimes you need a nice contrast... Besides, the chicks appear to dig it, and in the end that's what really matters right?!

One of the Japanese businessmen was telling his colleagues after looking at my shoes that " That's a real American!"

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
I think it does... It worked for making my feet feel better running through Tokyo. Sometimes you need a nice contrast... Besides, the chicks appear to dig it, and in the end that's what really matters right?!

One of the Japanese businessmen was telling his colleagues after looking at my shoes that " That's a real American!"

Was that meant as a compliment, or was it more akin to "American tourist in Hawaiin shirt" cliches?

SteveN

One of the Regulars
Wild Root said:
If you had a good office job back in those days, black shoes were the shoe you were to wear. Most Businesses back then had a dress code! They required a hat, suit and black shoes. It of cores depends on the company you're working for and such, but that's the way it was.

It would be very interesting to read one of these old company dress codes (I'd like to see IBM's ;-)

Has anyone ever run across one?

- SteveN

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The stripes on the shirt are close enough to harmonize with the plaid jacket, yet are not as bold as the jacket's plaid -- no fighting for attention. The jacket also has a blue windowpane which ties it to the shirt. The red sweater ads a nice dose of color for a more Hollywood look. Smoked specs and big one piece cap without a tie says "I'm on vacation"!

5005_97232613810_642563810_2117169_5305813_n.jpg

Torpedo

One Too Many
I am glad you have revived this thread. There is very interesting stuff in there.
I do like your ensemble, Matt - and I "read" vacation in it, too! ;)

Creeping Past

One Too Many
The vacation look needs its own thread. I tried it this summer, English style, with heavy glen check trousers (burgundy and dark green cross-threads) and white jacket, paisley silk pocket handkerchief and white cap. It sort of worked, but mainly because I was in Paris.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy