Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

QMI USAF B-10...anyone know this jacket?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Found a very nice looking USAF B-10 replica on the Bay for $189 including shipping. Looks like a very warm jacket with the Alpaca/wool lining and fur collar.

USAF B-10 Replica.JPG USAF B-10 INSIDE ALPACA.jpg USAF B-10 Back View.jpg

They (Quartermaster Inspector) claim to supply clothing to the movie industry. Are these jackets any good? I do know they are manufactured in Shanghai.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Just looking at the pics that looks a real nice jacket :)
Would be nice to see/handle it for real though as Chinese quality can vary so much from top notch to abysmal.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Just looking at the pics that looks a real nice jacket :)
Would be nice to see/handle it for real though as Chinese quality can vary so much from top notch to abysmal.

I contacted the company and they claimed that their factory was in Shanghai, China. Yes, just being "made in China" does not automatically make it a poor product. I have some electronic components of Chinese origin that are world class.

Was hoping someone on this forum would have some "touchy feely" experience with this particular jacket.

USAF B-10 Inside Label.jpg

Last edited:

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
There are a few of these around being sold by various militaria dealers and on eBay, I think they all originate in China and look ok copies however, they don't have alpaca lining, and from the photo you posted, that doesn't look alpaca either. Real alpaca is expensive to use so it's most likely to be a synthetic copy.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
There are a few of these around being sold by various militaria dealers and on eBay, I think they all originate in China and look ok copies however, they don't have alpaca lining, and from the photo you posted, that doesn't look alpaca either. Real alpaca is expensive to use so it's most likely to be a synthetic copy.

Perhaps, but the wording in the ad claims "Alpaca / Wool blend" lining.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Direct copy from the original ad:

The Type B-10 flying jacket was standardized for the USAAF on July 22nd 1943, being the first cloth flying jacket adopted by the USAAF, as a replacement for the leather flying jackets. The lining material was an alpaca-and-wool blend, which was less bulky, lighter and warmer than sheepskin.

Our B-10 flying jacket featured with the olive drab cotton stain drill material, the Alpaca and Wool Pile Undyed Natural Color lining, and the 1/2 Inch Shearing collar, it come with a 1940 style left open brass black oxidized front zipper, and the correct type buttons and snaps.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
Well if they say it is alpaca/wool then hopefully it is, I think this particular brand was on eBay from a US seller and his pics looked good, think also they had a red knit option? Problem was he was using the ridiculous new Global Postage which added over $100 to the price in addition to usual postage for export to UK! There seems to be similar repros around too, Pike Bros, Spearhead Military, Epic etc all or most originating from China.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart