Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

Nobert

Practically Family
You don't even have to purchase anything to make it an obsession. I've never had the money to buy all the pens I would like, but I used to pore over the catalogs of Levenger and The Colorado Pen Co., selectively picking out the beauties that would make up my arsenal...a mid-range Pelikan, a modest Montblanc, maybe a Nimiki retractable for novelty, a Parker Big Red just for show. Some guys do fantasy football, to each their own.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Just got the pens back from Picard, and they are amazing! I have been doing some research and I found out each model. The Wearever is the Pennant which was a cheap pen from the 50's but it writes awesome! http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Wearever/WeareverPennant.htm
The Sheaffer is an early touchdown from the late 40's http://www.penhero.com/PenGallery/Sheaffer/SheafferTouchdownEarly.htm

History Teach,

Very glad that you like the restorations! Please post some photos of them in use, and let me know if there are any more you'd like done.

You are correct, I believe your Touchdown is a first year, as it has a thicker barrel made only one year, ticker than than the Touchtown "TM" which were made for several years after. I have a pretty rare first year Touchdown Desk Set that I restored a few years ago and keep on my desk, only made for that one year as well.

Enjoy!

-Max

So the other day my boss's boss says that he's noticed I use fountain pens, and his wife has one laying around, but isn't sure it works or anything. So I tell him to bring it in. So he brings it in today, and low and behold it's a beautiful Montblanc case complete with pen, cartridges, etc. The box says "Meisterstuck 147", and it has the little gold cartridges, but he said he couldn't figure out how the cartridges go in and the instructions made no sense. Upon fiddling around with it, I unscrew the back end, and it comes right off. It's actually a 146, and the little screw mechanism that works the piston up and down has been broken off from the back cap. So I explain that it's no wonder the instructions make little sense, this pen does not go with this box set. Furthermore, the end cap is not supposed to come off. It's broken. He asked if it was worth repairing, and I was half tempted to tell him it was garbage, I'd throw it away for him. But...I told him it was like a $700 pen, and well worth fixing. In the mean time, I was able to load up some ink and let him write with it. I think he's hooked now.

Edward

Bartender
My most recent new fountain pen - about a year ago now - is one of the TWSBI Diamond Minis, and it's glorious. I'll certainly be picking up more of this brand. Beautiful pen to write with, and I'm very much enjoying it being my first true, working piston filler. It will be hard to sell myself on converter pens now... That said, the Pilot Vanishing point I received as a gift around the same time is a true thing of beauty.

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Hudson, I am still learning the whole touchdown filling method so there wasn't much ink

Touchdowns are great when you get the hang of it. The key is to open the piston before you dip it into the ink, then put the pen into the ink up to the section (the grip part), then push down the pistol relatively quickly. Leave the pen in the ink for a good 5-7 seconds, then remove. Screw the blind cap back down, wipe off the section and nib with a paper towel and you're ready to go.

-Max

wquiles

Familiar Face
This has been an interesting thread. I have several fountain pens, most that I bought through the years, and even one I "won" for high performer while working at Siemens (large German company) - a brand new, never-used, Waldmann Sterling Silver 926 Xetra Chequered Fountain Pen (med nib):
DSCF1630.JPG

DSCF1632.JPG

DSCF1635.JPG

DSCF1642.JPG

I used all other fountain pens in the past, but being a lefty that writes over what I just wrote, it was always picky to have the right ultra-fast drying ink, and even though smooth, I always had a little "scratchy" feeling with my fountain pens, so I migrated to Roller Balls (Waterman, Parker, other) which were smoother to me, then cheap ball points at some time (fast, convenient - my fav being the Zebra F-402), until I finally found "my" dream - the Montblanc Fineliner. I can't afford an actual MB pen, so I cut the plastic back, enough to fit in my Watermans (Roller Ball type), and now-a-days my daily use pen is a Waterman Carene (exceptional weight/balance) with the Fineliner cartridge. I just recently started to try the Levenger Fineliner refill (incidentaly, also made in Germany), which seems to work excellent for me, and it is a lower cost alternative.

I will try to post pictures of my "collection" soon.

Will

Last edited:

hatguy1

One Too Many
I'm. "righty" and I still smear stuff. From time to time when writing with a FP. Haven't quite figured that one out yet, but I'm doing it less as time goes on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Strapped-4-Cache

One Too Many
I'd like to throw out another compliment to Max for servicing a couple of Sheaffer Snorkels for me.

He replaced the deteriorating rubber components, cleaned them up and returned them to me in just a few days. They were filled with ink and ready for use within minutes of being received. They may not look fancy, but they're some of the best pens I own.

Thanks, Max!

Picard1138

One of the Regulars
Figured I'd post a couple 'after' of pictures. No pics before I sent them to Max, unfortunately.

The black pen:
View attachment 9527

And the grey pen:
View attachment 9528

Mark,

A pleasure to work on those pens, and to hear that you like them! The black pen really took a nice shine once it was polished up. That B4 nib sure is broad, it would make a great autograph pen.

Let me know if I can help anyone else, my door is always open.

-Max

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran