Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about fountain pens

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
I have been looking at a few fountain pens and I am confused about options. I see where some pens come with "cartridges" while other gift sets come with inkwells. Can any pen use a cartridge? Can cartridge pens b e filled with standard ink? Just curious and sorry if this ends up being a very stupid question but I have never owned a fountain pen and would like to "dive" in so to speak.

There are basically two ways to get ink into a fountain pen; 1) fill from a bottle or 2) use pre-filled cartridges. Most modern pens can use the pre-filled cartridges or use what they call a cartridge converter. The converter is typically a piston that sucks ink into it, and there are various mechanics that operate the piston, depending on the pen. Again, most modern pens can use either, but you cannot refill a cartridge (at least I'm not aware of a way to do it). Older pens may or may not be able to use a cartridge, and must be filled from a bottle. Older pens may have a piston type filler or a bladder, but you have to use bottled ink.

The advantage of the cartridge are ease of use...you simply pull out one cartridge and pop in another. The advantages of bottled ink are a larger selection on ink types and colors, and it's generally cheaper.

If you go with a cartridge type, keep in mind that they are not all the same...some pens will only take certain sizes of cartridges, while others may take a "universal" cartridge.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Thank you so much. Been looking at an entry level pen and it takes a converter. I went with cartridges at first and figured I can get converter and ink later

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
every review I read echoed those sentiments. I know they are not beautiful but I believe that while a fountain pen should look nice the writing and flow of the pen should be more important.

hatguy1

One Too Many
I could get into using a fountain pen, but...I'm always losing my pens. Hence I'm usually carrying some cheapo ballpoint around, until I leave it behind somewhere by accident.

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Yes my undergrad is in social studies education so when I started grad school I wanted it to be specific so my graduate degree is in American History with a focus on the American Civil War

John J

Familiar Face
Whats up History teach, Im a history Diehard. Reading six frigates at the moment a very detailed book about the making of the us Navys first six real combat ships and all the politics that went with the territory at the time.

as for fountain pens I have a good collection and use to do a fair amount of restoration.

the Lamy Safari is a very good choice to see if you like fountain pens or not. My first was a waterman Philias.

Most pens today fill with either a cartridge or a converter. Lamy , pelikan, and some other companies have piston fill only models that can only fill from a bottle of some sort.

cartridges are convenient But in my experience converters (or piston only pens) write better, the main issue being that often cartridge pens do not start very easy (initial ink flow) when I was on the road for work (stuck at desk now) when On the road I would fill pen often in office and have a cartridge on me as well , in case I ran out of ink.

"John"

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
John, I am intrigued by the fact that this Lamy does have a converter where I can add my own ink. I think that would make the "experience" more vintage to say, but I went with cartridges for now because I have no idea what I am doing lol

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
Hatguy, thank you for the kind words. With the massive amounts of research and papers I need to do starting in December with my next class I figure the pen will get A LOT of Work Quickly lol. This should be an interesting class; titled "Civil War Command and Leadership".

Now, are these pens safe to put in a dress shirt pocket? Or will they bleed very easily?

I put my pens, including my Safaris, in my shirt pocket all the time. I've never had one bleed. Keep the cap on them, obviously. The only time I worry about bleeding is when I fly. I don't carry a loaded pen on a plane. I have a couple cartridge pens just for that. I pull the cartridges out, put them in a Ziploc baggie to put in my carryon.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Caps can sometimes work loose and result in a big inkstain on your shirt or jacket---if you want to continue using fountain pens there are some designed to avoid this horror. I have an old Onoto piston filler (fabulous pen) which has a cap that closes to cut off ink supply and an Eversharp Skyline which has a special breather tube which is supposed to make it safe to carry/use on a plane....I'm sure there must be others. Check out the Fountain Pen Network for lots of info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner