Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

question about hat bands

raw shark

New in Town
I bought a wool felt fedora for two reasons: 1) for a costume, and 2) because I might actually start wearing it. For the costume part of it, I wanted the hat band to be a different color, but I did not want to remove the one that is already on there (it is stitched to the hat in a few places).

So, my solution was to get some of the same material (grosgrain) in the color I wanted, and try to put it on over the one that was already there. I soon discovered that this is completely non-trivial, because through some magic (hidden by the bow tie) they make the upper circumference on the ribbon smaller than the lower circumference. How exactly do real hat makers do this?

I did manage to accomplish this myself after hours of fiddling with it. I sewed the grosgrain together at an angle, and then crammed it onto the hat, covering the stitch with a loop of grosgrain (I can manage without the fancy bow tie for the costume at least). I had to make it super tight in order to have it not be loose on the top.

Should I be worried about deforming the hat or anything like that? It looks like it's ok, except if I look at the sweatband on the inside I can see a little bump on the side where the bow tie underneath is being pushed in.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
umm....

J.T.Marcus said:
The Grosgrain ribbon you need is cotton/rayon, not the 100% polyester you find in stores. The cotton content lets the ribbon shrink, when soaked with water or steam, and allowed to dry. This contours the ribbon to the taper of the hat. This thread will help:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=26168

it would help if he didn't put a ribbon over the existing one... doncha think?[huh]

----------------
Now playing: Curtis Mayfield - Love to the People
via FoxyTunes

Wil Tam

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
Some. The bottom line, though is that cotton/rayon is made to do what a hat ribbon must do. With polyester, you have to use all sorts of twists and/or other tricks. :)

point taken, my friend :)

I would have just stripped it in a way to keep the original intact so as to be able to slip it back on... then installed the new one ... but that's me [huh]

btw impressive collection JT :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

raw shark

New in Town
Wil Tam said:
I would have just stripped it in a way to keep the original intact so as to be able to slip it back on... then installed the new one ... but that's me [huh]

I was really paranoid about screwing up the hat, so I didn't want to remove the stitches that keep the existing ribbon in place. I have some pics for you:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?p...84473cc884a#/album.php?aid=2337551&id=3616366

You can see the previous ribbon showing a little bit, but I don't mind that for the purposes of the costume. Although honestly, I think the new ribbon looks a hell of a lot better and I might pursue a permanent replacement at some point in the future.

The bump I was referring to is in the third picture on the right side of the hat. The fourth picture is just to show you how I sewed the ribbon together to get different circumferences.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
I see it's a Scala stingy .. the existing ribbon is bronze? and the hat is brown ... keep the bronze .. IMHO .. looks better than the grape or bluish purple you got on there ... so this is just for a play or something? then it's fine, the bump is when you tighten the ribbon over the old one.

----------------
Now playing: Curtis Mayfield - When Seasons Change
via FoxyTunes

raw shark

New in Town
Wil Tam said:
I see it's a Scala stingy .. the existing ribbon is bronze? and the hat is brown ... keep the bronze .. IMHO .. looks better than the grape or bluish purple you got on there ... so this is just for a play or something? then it's fine, the bump is when you tighten the ribbon over the old one.

I'm not sure if it is bronze...looks like just a lighter brown to me. So like, this modification won't deform the hat or anything, will it?

This is for my Rorschach costume that I'm going to wear when the Watchmen movie comes out.

Wil Tam

Practically Family
raw shark said:
I'm not sure if it is bronze...looks like just a lighter brown to me. So like, this modification won't deform the hat or anything, will it?

This is for my Rorschach costume that I'm going to wear when the Watchmen movie comes out.

nah I don't think so, since it's just temporary, besides it's just on the inside... the lid will just be fine once you remove it ... that's funny ... I worked on this one
eek7.gif
I think any of these will work ... I personally would just not use the one you put over the original & just go with the original because it looks so much better than yours
twocents.gif

raw shark

New in Town
Wil Tam said:
I think any of these will work ... I personally would just not use the one you put over the original & just go with the original because it looks so much better than yours

You mean for the costume or for just wearing it around?

Also, it is interesting that you are familiar with the hat...I never found that thread because no one actually says "Rorschach" in it. I am trying to go for more of his look in the graphic novel than in the movie.

Basically, I just went online and tried to find a hat with these characteristics: teardrop shape, stingy brim, brown, and <$100. That Scala hat was the only one I could find.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Costume?

When you say costume, do mean like some sort of comic book villain? I think the purple ribbon would be OK for something like that. If you mean just trying to be outre, I dunno. The original hat has lots of personality.
I hope you wear it around and get used to it, and eventually become a regular hat wearer. I predict you'll love it.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Here's two suggestions:

1) Use a wraparound pugaree style ribbon. Here's one source of several:
http://www.thefedorastore.com/Triple-Pleated-Pugaree-Clip-on-Hat-Band-p/pugaree-band.htm

These are designed to go over existing ribbons or, even better, as an easy installation when the original undesirable ribbon is removed and out of your way.

2) When/if you work with actual cotton/rayon grosgrain ribbon, lay out the length you will install on an ironing board. Dampen a handkerchief to place between the hot iron and the ribbon. On Med/High heat and moving quickly, pass the iron over the length of the ribbon with one hand while pulling the ribbon into a slight curve with the other. The objective is to iron/steam in an obvious arc to the ribbon and it doesn't really take much trouble to get this 'swirl' to happen. Once the ribbon is shaped that way it will naturally conform to the conical shape of the hat's crown.

G'luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany