Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question About Jackets with a Belt Around Waist

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I'm considering one more decidedly warm jacket for on and off the bike. (You east coast guys have a different thermostat than me. When it's in the 50's I'm ready for shearling.) I think when I put on a leather jacket, it's usually zipped (at least at the bottom); but sometimes I'll wear it unzipped. I assume were I to get something with a belt like in the picture and wore it unzipped, I'd keep belt buckled but really loose. I've seen it where guys just let the belts hang down on either side, but I don't dig the look. Maybe this is a stupid question; but I've never had a jacket like this and want to know how it works in real world situations.

P.S. It's a LW Grizzley, but I'd 86 the fur (on the outside, anyway). I decided I really, really like LW.

GrizzlyBauville-5.jpg

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Maybe you should try buckles on the sides, I had a jacket just made with side buckles and it's quite handy.

Sorry for the poor picture quality.

190_3213_zpsc50073be.jpg

190_3215_zps1905e624.jpg

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Maybe you should try buckles on the sides, I had a jacket just made with side buckles and it's quite handy.

I'm not crazy about straps on the side, although I know a lot of jackets have them. I had them on an Enfield I sold. I think thing the more circumference covered by the belt, the more the bunching effect is distributed. The only jacket where I really like the side belts is a Highwayman type, where the belts are really integral to the design and sort of pull the front and back panels together.

apba1166

A-List Customer
On a trench I've had belts and usually tie them. I once got a short leather bike jacket with a belt. The good thing was it did hold the waist. Everything else was bad, and I sold it after about 10 wears. If I didn't belt it, the buckle really clanked. If I belted it, it took time, and meant you had to have the rest zipped and buttoned, etc. It can be a nice look, and functional....but when it comes to dealing with too much stuff I end up wearing something else.

IXL

One Too Many
Is the belt removable on the jacket you want?
When I leave some of my jackets unbuckled, the buckle is lifted up and to the left, inverted and then dropped back down between the belt itself and the jacket panel. The tongue side is either done the same way (except to the right), or just folded straight back and pushed through the right-side belt loop. This makes for a fairly clean look and keeps everything from flopping around.
If I'm actually riding while wearing a belted jacket, I always buckle-up so as not to scratch the paint. To me, it's just part of having a belted style.

Equality 7-2521

One of the Regulars
It's not removable at least according to the pictures, now I'm speaking specifically about the LW Grizzly. I actually got a mouton version stuck in customs that I purchased off ebay so it could arrive this week if I'm lucky.

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
I'm considering one more decidedly warm jacket for on and off the bike. (You east coast guys have a different thermostat than me. When it's in the 50's I'm ready for shearling.) I think when I put on a leather jacket, it's usually zipped (at least at the bottom); but sometimes I'll wear it unzipped. I assume were I to get something with a belt like in the picture and wore it unzipped, I'd keep belt buckled but really loose. I've seen it where guys just let the belts hang down on either side, but I don't dig the look. Maybe this is a stupid question; but I've never had a jacket like this and want to know how it works in real world situations.

P.S. It's a LW Grizzley, but I'd 86 the fur (on the outside, anyway). I decided I really, really like LW.

GrizzlyBauville-5.jpg

I noticed you're in Santa Monica. I had a great leatherman in Studio City, Gary at Barini Leather, find a solution on the tank scratches from a buckle. He very artfully and snuggly wrapped, matched and sewed some brown leather around my Schott Perfecto buckle. I don't ride with the buckle unfastened. It'smore to protect against those absent minded times when I might forget to fasten. But maybe this is the type of thing you'd like:

IMG_0017.jpg

Last edited:

SoCalSoftailSlim

One of the Regulars
Gotcha. As far as the utility of such belts on leather riding jackets, (moto or scooter) I do find them useful, particularly in colder weather. They keep the draft from coming up. If you should go down, they also hold your protection in place so it doesn't ride up and you have road rash all over your belly and lower back. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot