Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about leather patch sealer ...........................

SIGGY

A-List Customer
Hello members, I am looking for suggestion for "sealer" either spray or brush on for leather patches painted with acrylic paint, I recently found out the type of spray acrylic sealer I use will not be made/available and need dependable type of product I can switch to either in a spray type or brush on type . Quick dry .

Would appreciate the patch makers on this site suggestions, thanks and awaiting your replies !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Siggy

Feraud

Bartender
Many leatherworkers use Acrylic Resolene over their painted projects.
Resolene can be used at full strength or diluted with one part water. Light coats applied with a wool dauber or rag is best. May be too thick to spray.
If you go this route, try a painted sample first.

Stand By

One Too Many
I use just a regular Liquitex matt and satin varnish, depending on the finish needed (and have also used Windsor & Newton - it works fine too) - use it sparingly though; It's like cough medicine - a little is good, more isn't better. Use too many coats and it gives a "milky/cloudy" finish, so one good coat works just fine and you're done.

Last edited:

Bingo

New in Town
Does anyone know if any of these products add a shine to the leather? By that I mean should you go only to the edge of the colour/artwork, or can you just paint it on without worrying if it overlaps onto plain leather without leaving a shine, or discolouring. Hope that made sense.

Stand By

One Too Many
They'll add a shine if you use a gloss varnish - or a light sheen if you use a satin varnish. A matt varnish gives a completely flat finish.
If you overlap on to the jacket leather itself, it's not the end of the world. You'll just need to put in a little extra time and do a little extra work and mix a little of the gloss/satin/matt together to achieve the same glossy/satin finish on the jacket - and that's simply trial and error. But they're fast setting varnishes, so you'll quickly know how you're making out and if you're on the right track or not, so you can make a quick adjustment over it.
I painted the bomb tallys on my ANJ-3 and, when I sealed them with the varnish, I had to do that to blend the varnish into the satin finish on the jacket - and the effect is not really noticeable at all - except in the odd light and angle. But I don't let that slight discrepancy keep me awake at night. It's the sort of thing only I would notice .... Nobody has ever noticed or said anything.
My only word of caution would be in regard to inadvertently over-using the matt varnish, which can make it look a little "milky", so I'd recommend that you practice blending the varnishes on a piece of scrap leather to get an idea of the mixing ratios - and not on the jacket.

Stand By

One Too Many
PS. And if, after a bit of practice (or not) and you use the acrylic varnish and have a little overlap and it looks a bit "milky" and noticeable, just get a wet Q-Tip and wipe it all off in that area ... and have another run at it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24