Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for Bourbon-ites: Eagle Rare Substitute?

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Bourbon isn't my drink, but after purchasing some for a Thanksgiving recipe a some years ago I found one I do like: Eagle Rare Kentucky Bourbon. But it's been discontinued.

I liked Eagle Rare for its smoothness, and especially for its prominent vanilla-y notes. Because of this, it was a key ingredient in our family's bourbon glazed turkey and bourbon glazed yams recipes.

Do any of you know of a bourbon similar in taste and smoothness to Eagle Rare?

Thank you for your hekp!

Sub- Bourbonite

I haven't had the Eagle bourbon so I can't suggest anything. Bourbon makers all tend to have a "family recepie" so their favors tend to be somewhat distinct from one another and then your own perceptions of flavor will shape if for yourself.

You may take a spin to Bev-Mo and select as many different bourons in those little "airline bottles" and do a tasting. Also if you go thru bourbon you can try some of the Tennessee sippin' whiskies as their flavor profiles are fairly similar to bourbon

I tend to like Knob Creek, Woodfords and Jim Beam 'Black Lable' the most.

Wow it's 7am and I'd like a Manhattan, please!

Raphael

New in Town
Discontinued?.. I would keep checking

You might want to do a bit more checking on your source for Eagle Rare. There are multiple versions of Eagle Rare that you might try instead of the one that has been discontinued. My local 21st Amendment liquor store has 3 varieties of Eagle Rare. And yes, it is certainly one of the smoothest Bourbon's I have ever tasted.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Thank you!

Thank you for the suggestions!

Raphael and Bella, thank you so much for that information! I did some checking, and the one I like is in fact still in production. My retailer had said the entire brand had been discontinued, and a previous search at the time only turned up a few bottles on Ebay, so I mistakenly thought it was true.

Thanksgiving can go on! Just kidding. (Well, sort of. Mom's family is originally from Kentucky, so you understand the importance of the bourbon in the recipes.)

But really, thank you all so much for your help!

Kermez

A-List Customer
What the hell?!?

Yeah, I find nothing on the discontinuation of Eagle Rare Single Barrel KSBW (Aged 10 Years), 90 Proof, being discontinued.

Are you SURE about this?!? Source?!?

That would suck, as it's probably my second favorite bourbon. (Baker's rulez!) As a matter of fact, I'm in the middle of a glass right now. (No lie!)

rkwilker

One Too Many
Living in the deep south (North Carolina) I am a huge fan of single barrel small batch bourbon. My personal fav is Blanton's. Very smooth with a nice finish. Agree with the Woodford Reserve recommendation. It is also very nice. Basil-Hayden is a good alternative as well. If you prefer something with a little more bite, Bookers is a good choice. Hope this info is useful. Cheers!

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
Thanks again!

Thank you again, Gentlemen! Suggestions duly noted.

My retailer was wrooooooong, and of course the Eagle Rare 10 year still exists.

I won't embarrass the store by naming them. Let's just say that choosing a liquor supplier because they're named after a vintage nightclub was probably a mistake in that instance. But for everything else, I've been quite happy with them.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
As far as the smoothness and cocoa notes, if you still want to expand from Eagle Rare, Pappy Van Winkle's 12 and 15 would be a great transition. More fruity than the Eagle, but with a satisfying, silky finish. Also the Woodford or even Buffalo Trace.

Have fun!

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This thread scared me so much I grabbed a bottle of Eagle Rare
to go with the four bottles of Rittenhouse 100 I picked up last night...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner