Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for the seamstresses

I've been sewing on and off since I was little. Most of my knowledge that I use most today is what I have learned online and in this forum. There were things I didn't know about correct pattern sizing, grading, etc. I just wish for more time to accomplish all the sewing I would like to do. I also find my vintage sewing books a fabulous tool. I have a Singer machine I got for graduation in 1990 and it is metal so you could even look for a machine from that time period and still get a good heavy one.

BoPeep

Practically Family
crwritt said:
. . . upholstery, sailmaking, stitched a 40 foot net for catching eels, made baby clothes, curtains, and so many dresses . . . mascot costumes . . . distressed pencil thin jeans . . . stitch baby diapers, customize their denim, and make ironically matching kitchen curtains and aprons, and create fantastic Halloween costumes. . .

This is the beauty of sewing. It's not just clothing. Once you've got the basics down, you can sew projects for every room in the house. I've done ironing board covers, throw pillows, drawstring bags to hold my children's blocks, bags to store rags in my husband's garage, quilted saddles for my daughter's stuffed horses, and yes, I have matching kitchen curtains and hot pads!

My mother taught me to sew about age 10. My first projects were remaking old clothes from the rag bag. Cut off these sleeves, sew them on here, add more ruffles from this old shirt . . .

It's a great skill to have. My 6-yr old daughter has made doll clothes by hand and pillowcases on the machine. And I plan to teach my son also. Boys need Superman capes and rock collecting bags, don't they?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I had a professional friend show me the basics in September 2008, but mostly I taught myself. I just kept at it and loved every minute of it. I had just turned 33.

When I was 12 I made a pillow in Home Ec. I LOVED it!! Everything from picking out the fabric to creating the design, to actually sewing it. But it was never encouraged.

At first, I had a hard time undertsanding some of the instructions on vintage patterns. I would literally just stare at them and the garment until it clicked. Now I rarely read the instructions :)

I started with vintage. That's mostly all I sew.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Mum taught me to sew when I was really little, which means I've been sewing on and off for 30 years. I still consider myself a novice as I tend to sew in fits & starts. I get all enthused and sew alot then put the machine away & don't sew for months at a time.

I've taken sewing classes which I've found really helpful, but honestly, if you learn the basics the best way to improve is to buy a good sewing manual & practice practice practice.

CherryWry

One of the Regulars
I also want to learn to sew...reading about the different ways people here came to sewing is encouraging. I can knit, so I know I can follow a pattern/instructions, and I can drive a car with a manual transmission. And I can look stuff up on the internet when I get stuck, so it sounds like there's hope for me.

Plus you ladies all show such cool photos of the things you've made with such good comments on the process it's inspiring.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I learned to sew in Jr High, so a little over 30 years ago. I took it in HS and college too, and even got an award in Home Ec in HS. I also took classes at a sewing store in speed tailoring, color coordination, fit and use of modern fusibles when I was 17 or so. I'd like to go back to school and learn real tailoring, if I can ever get the time/money balance right.

Honestly though, it seems to me that mostly I learned from actually sewing than the classes. If you start with easy pattens and go to more difficult ones, they do give you pretty good instructions.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
My very first project was an Elizabethan gown, complete with chemise, corset, bumroll and ruffs.

Oh how funny, mine was, too! I taught myself to sew at around 15 and having tackled and wrangled that extremely slippery satin as a first project also made less fussy fabrics easy to handle and the precision involved in evenly setting cartridge pleats gave me the patience and confidence to tackle buttonholes (which are still a challenge to me).

Definitely give sewing a try if you've a mind to, and don't be worried about it. If you like it, stick with it, and keep practicing. I'd give the same advice about crafting, cooking and baking, for that matter. Certainly, there are those that have a natural talent for such things and take to them like a duck to water, but you can absolutely develop these talents.

Kishtu

Practically Family
With my customary awkwardness :p

I love sewing, I started off making doll clothes aged 5ish, got into the goth/alternative scene aged 15 and started making all my own clothes, now semi-pro historical costumer (17th-19th century and, weirdly, Anglo-Saxon my core periods....)

I have (counts 'em) five sewing machines - one 1930s manual Singer, one new Brother embroidery machine, one new Brother electric machine, one 1940s edition cabinet Frister & Rossman and one 1940s child's toy machine that does chain stitch, which I haven't yet been able to get to work properly (demmit)
In order of preference I like the manual ones best for garment sewing, I feel I have more control over speed, and I find them considerably easier to troubleshoot. Managed to kill my first electric Singer through sheer overwork, it just didn't like sewing brocade in bulk and the tracking went :(
Best of all though I like handwork, most of my detailed work is hand sewn especially on very fine fabric or when I'm using antique lace.

NB my opinion should be taken with a pinch of salt as we don't have a TV so hand sewing is my hobby...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace