Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question for trained eyes

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
(I hope this is the correct forum for this; if not, I apologize!)

My mother and I were going through some of her father's things that she saved, and we found this jacket. Her immediate comment when I put it on was that it looked funny on me, but couldn't say why. I'm hoping you can.

IMG_3739.jpg

IMG_3741.jpg

IMG_3742.jpg

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Well

Feng_Li,

Start with a white shirt...then expand. i like the coat.

Wear it with comfort and confidence. Make it yours. It would look great with

white esque pants.

WeeGee

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Gatsby-esque said:
It may simply be that you have your trousers too low but the balance is definitely off.

That may be the culprit...I've always had difficulty finding trousers that are sufficiently long without being enormous in the waist. They get worn low because the highwater alternative is worse.

Does the rest of the fit appear reasonable? I've really no idea how a properly fitting jacket is supposed to feel/look.

Martin Stall

New in Town
It's a nice coat, but it does look a bit on the big side. Hard to tell with your arms pulling it behind your back. Does look a bit too long as well, but not overly. Again, hard to tell. Probably worthwile to take it to a good alterations' tailor and get his diagnosis.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, we can pick the fit apart I suppose. But you have to realize that it's a great, GREAT jacket. Being vintage, a perfect fit is hard to come by and I think it looks good on you. Just wear it - and honor your grandfather by doing so.

slicedbread

A-List Customer
Feraud said:
I would leave the jacket as is and wear it with a nice pair of pants, shirt, and tie.

What he said. Just be sure that the pants drape similarly to the jacket...As in not super slim cut...instead more of a full cut so it looks like you meant for it to fit that way.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It's a tad big in the chest and body but I wouldn't bother having it altered. If you live somewhere where it's cold and snows I think you could probably get away with wearing a thickish winter weight turtle-neck jumper with it for that vintage "at the ski resort" look. It's not entirely perfect for that but it'll fill the jacket nicely and I think you could get away with it with an appropriate pair of winter trousers.

Just my 2c worth!

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
Thank you all for the comments...I didn't think of wearing it with a sweater, I'll definitely have to try that as well. I'll wear it around for a while and decide later if I want to take it to a tailor.

Now to see what my girlfriend thinks... :)

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
WEEGEE said:
Start with a white shirt..then expand.

I wore it church today with a white shirt, khaki chinos, and a red and silver striped tie. I received a lot of positive comments, especially from the old ladies (a big portion of our membership is 60+). I figure they're probably a good barometer.

I think my grandfather, frugal man that he was, would be happy to see his coat getting some use again.

Feng_Li

A-List Customer
I'll take some tomorrow, then :) One of the nice things about dressing for church is I can try something out for a few hours, and if I like it I can wear it to work the same week.

Gatsby-esque

New in Town
Just a though on trousers

I anticipate photos too...I would just like to throw out some thoughts on trouser fit:

A dress slack, particularly pleats, must be worn at or about the waist. That is to say near the belly button, nearly any pant worn on the hip is going to hang low in the crotch.

This is a function of the "rise", the measurement from the center crotch seam to the waistband. I have seen many gents who refuse to wear a trouser at the true waist and the only realistic solution is to purchase a "low-rise" trouser.

As to the coat, I like the pattern, I hope you can make it work well for you.:fedora:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou