Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on "Indy" type pinch

matei

One Too Many
Greetings all!

As my research into all things Fedora eventually led me here, it also brought me to the Club Obi Wan forum. Now there are some dedicated folks. I was amazed by their attention to detail.

Anyway, my question concerns the "pinch" applied to the Indy fedoras - was that a common look back in that era? I have seen pictures and even some period films, but I don't recall ever seeing any hats pinched so high and tight up front. But I could be wrong - that is why I've asked here!

I am a big Raiders fan, I have no real desire to emulate the Indy fedora. It looks cool and it works for Harrison Ford, but methinks my noggin is too large to pull it off. It is great to use that whole Raiders vibe to push me in a new direction.

However, I have to admit that he has some cool threads in those films! Whoever the costume director was had some good taste.

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Actually, some folks did have a tight pinch in their hats. It doesn't seem to be quite as common as the softer pinches you usually see, but I think Dick Tracy had a tight pinch in the old film serials, if I recall....

bink

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
It wasn't common, the Last Crusade style was more the norm. However occasionally I have seen pics from that era that did show some people wearing it like that, so it's not like it's totally inaccurate.

fedoralover

gandydancer

Familiar Face
The movies seems to like that vertical crease (it is too sharp to just be called a pinch) in the front of the crown. You see it from Bogie in Casablanca to Bridges in Seabiscuit. The Raider style is different in that it looks blocked in while the two I mention and others all have that hand creased look with an irregular tighty rolled crown. So it probably never was a factory crease. I have no idea how common it was outside of the movies, but considering the cinemas affect on styles probably very.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The "Michael Jackson Nose" crease was not very common.

If it was on a hat in the golden era, from what I have seen, it wasn't intentional. Usually it was from someone just grabbing the front of the crown rather than the brim.

I have rarely seen it in the past.
clip_image002-vi.jpg

Havana

One of the Regulars
I believe the tight pinch was usually put in by the owner or at the owner's request. I doubt it was much of a factory standard. In most films, the pinched front hats do tend to have a hand worked look. I am a devoted fan of this look and have hand creased it into numerous hats over the years. Curiously enough, you will find this tight crease in a number of mid-twentieth century western hats. Roy Rogers trademark hat is probably the best known. Clint wore one on Rawhide. I've got a big fat head and have found the tight pinch with a moderate crown height works well for me.

http://public.fotki.com/templr/havana/oaisisbw.html

ginobarracuda

Familiar Face
Ohhhh.... I just choked on my coffee, laughing way too hard reading Matt's 'Michael Jackson's nose' comment...
Does that meant the hat looks a little different every time it was out in public?

Michaelson

One Too Many
I highly recommend the watching of the Byrd 'Dick Tracy' movie serial series from 1938. Most of the hats worn in that 'movie' had the 'Raiders' front pinch. Regards. Michaelson

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Good point on the pinch, Matt, and others...looks as if the pronounced creases in the crown are a result of the hat's owner not having it cleaned or blocked regularly...sort of the 'shabby gentleman' look...which works well on Indy, Bogie, and many others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR