Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question on vintage hat stretchers

squid

One of the Regulars
I'm considering buying a vintage hat stretcher off ebay, but I have a few questions.

Most have a number on the body (e.g. 6 1/2, 6 3/4, 7). Is this the starting size or the finishing size?

I have a 7 1/8 hat that I want to stretch to 7 1/4. Can I buy a 7 and open it far enough? Do I need to buy a 7 1/8 or 7 1/4?

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Hat stretcher

Most of my stretchers have 6 7/8 on them. They open up just fine. I think the number is the smallest size. Grab a nice one, expect to pay $25 or so. I have two that have a nice taper to them, ie, for insertion into the sweat band.

The "modern" ones, cut from cheap pine or whatever, are not very good, as they only touch the hat at the front and rear of the sweat. The "vintage" ones are totally oval, until opened inside the hat, where you get the gap.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Squid, that looks like a nice stretcher. I've had good luck stretching hats from 7 1/8 to 7 1/4, but I allow a couple of weeks in the stretcher, adding a bit of tension every couple of days.

If it just needs a bit of stretch to return to its original size, 24-48 hours on the stretcher should do it.

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
I like the four way hat stretchers better if you can find one. The crank out in four directions. Sharpetoys had a source for them online but I can't find it now. Maybe he will see this and chime in.

Regards,

J

Here it is...$89.00

918_sm.gif

http://wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_mjsupp.html

L

Laurence

Hat stretcher

I just called Manhattan Wardrobe and the 4 way only opens to 7 1/2, I asked for the name of the company that makes it, M & S Western Products, I did a web search and came up with nothing. I need a size of 7 3/4. Any help with finding M & S to see if it comes in the size I need. PS - MWS would not do any special order for it

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It is M & F

Laurence said:
I just called Manhattan Wardrobe and the 4 way only opens to 7 1/2, I asked for the name of the company that makes it, M & S Western Products, I did a web search and came up with nothing. I need a size of 7 3/4. Any help with finding M & S to see if it comes in the size I need. PS - MWS would not do any special order for it

found here:
M&F WESTERN PRODUCTS INC.

I don't see the 4-way though...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner