Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions About Day Dresses

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Hi ladies. Hope you don't mind me picking your brains a little...

What exactly defines a day dress and what are the origins? Of course, I've seen dresses that are labeled as such (and even own some too...lol ) but just wondering what qualifies or "makes" a day dress? I see a lot of "day dresses" listed on vintage or auction sites, and just wasn't sure if there was anything in particular that would make them so? For instance, cut, material, length, etc.

Most of the dresses that I see labeled as day dresses seem to be about knee length or just below, cotton print, shirtwaist style, short sleeves. They usually appear to be more casual, although sometimes I do see dressier versions.

So, what would be the typical function of a day dress in the Golden Era? Strictly for home or for going to town and errands? How were they worn--with accessories and dressier shoes or more casually?

Also, what would be the difference in a day dress and a housedress? From what I can tell, a housedress or housecoat seems to be more like pajamas or loungewear...is that correct? Has that evolved over time?

Thanks for your input!

Jessica

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Ive always found day dresses to generally be button up in the front, like a long shirt, and belted. Generally lighter in color, and some what plain, not as form fitting, and generally the skirt isnt as tight, or full. They tend to be mid calf in length, and can be sleeveless, or 3/4 or short sleeve.

The dress I posted in the 'Show us what you made' is considered a day dress. But its one you could wear somewhere. Lizziemaine's lovely frocks shes posted can be considered day dresses as well, more work appropriate.

House dresses are what are commonly refered to the contempo MuuMuu. THose are more like 'dressy' robes. Frocks you wear when lounging about the home.

The rules are very loose, but they all apply.

LD

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think "day dress" and "afternoon dress" were often used interchangeably -- the idea being that you'd wear a house dress to do your chores at home in the morning, and then change into a day dress to go downtown and shop and have lunch. My grandmother followed this rule strictly -- house dresses were for around-the-house only. If she was going downtown, even if it was just to go to the post office, she'd change into a day dress or a skirt and blouse -- it was considered quite gauche to be seen in town in a house dress, even for a working-class woman such as she was.

I think of the defining element of a house dress being that it's something very simple and functional and durable that you can get in and out of easily -- as LD says, they were often robe-like, with tie closings, or they might have simple zipper or button fronts. A day dress is more formal and has more detail to it -- a good rule of thumb in deciding about any particular dress is to ask yourself if you'd feel right wearing it to hang out the washing or mop the floor!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
House dresses are made out of sturdy fabrics, like cotton broadcloth or seersucker, and commonly zip up the front; you also see wrap styles, and styles that button or slip on over the head. I'd never compare any of mine to a muumuu though--they are all quite tailored, and fall just around the wearer's knees.

Day dresses are frocks that would be appropriate for wear to town or to an office job. They came in a variety of fabrics and all the popular colors, both solids and prints, and had extra details that a house dress wouldn't (fancy trimmings, bows, decorative buttons and belts, etc.) These dresses weren't fancy enough for an "After 5" affair, but were still quite dressy by today's standards.

Here are some 1930s-40s day dress examples (from www.return2style.de):

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
A few more examples:

And a few house dress patterns for comparison:
622.jpg
PatNS2215.gif

1494mo444.jpg

Etienne

A-List Customer
Darling dresses, all of them! The house dresses always remind me of an apron--a very stylish, body-covering apron! They have that, "I'm off to bake a pie and then hang out the wash on the line" sort of look to them. How I wish I had about 100 of them!!

I also absolutely LOVE the sleeve length of a lot of the day dresses; longer short sleeves cover the upper arm and yet look cool and comfortable. I despise short-sleeved clothes today because the sleeves are too short and I have older, heavier upper arms. So I am always in rolled up, long-sleeved shirts and it's too hot outside for that!! I'm going to search for patterns in my size and make some of these clothes!

Thanks for sharing such great photos!!

Rosie

One Too Many
My mom has ALWAYS worn house dresses. ALWAYS. Every year, she buys a huge collection of them and throws away the ones that don't look so good anymore. And Lizzie's right, the furthest she will ever go out in them is to the back yard or to get mail. She daren't leave the yard in one.

Snookie

Practically Family
A fashion history note that I find interesting:
Day dresses gained popularity in the 20's and 30's with the rising middle class, as a level in between the workdresses and the fancy clothes of the upper class. The concept of "eveningwear" as the fanciest type of clothing came in at the same time, as the middle-class would have to work during the day but had the money to dress up at night. Up until then, the rich people would have fancy clothes at day and night, and the differences between day and evening were usually less pronounced (cut of the neckline, fabric type).

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
jitterbugdoll, I love those examples! If you look at what is termed 'evening dress' they are usually have more of a complicated cut to them and are more 'fancy'...most day dresses I have seen tend to have a more simple look...and a look of being comfortable to wear

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
They are made of more simple materials, generally, but the construction can actually be just as complex as an evening gown- especially in the 1930's. In fact, it is often that in a pattern envelope from the 1930's to the early 1950's that a day, dinner, and evening dress will be included in the same envelope, but the evening dress is distinguished by finer fabrics and longer hemline. If you look in Vogue magazines from the 1930's and 1940's especially, some of the daywear was actually intricately detailed. There was a more tailored look that was popular- with detailed and complex pockets, inserts, button detailing (bound buttonholes, serpentile openings, piping, etc), and the darts could be incorporated into construction to make it extremely interesting. There was also a more femine look composed of generally lighter weight fabrics with gathering, bows, pleating, and other feminine details that if it weren't for hemline could have been mistaken as evening or party frocks.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad the examples I posted are helpful ;)

What differentiates evening or cocktail wear from day wear would be the formality of length and any design attributes such as beading or nail heads, which would be inconvenient for day or working wear. Many day dresses, including the ones that I posted, have very detailed, complicated cuts and design features not seen in modern clothing—note the use of fabric colors and patterns, ruching, gathers, and so forth. As Lauren mentioned, late 30s-early 40s fashion was quite frilly, with its liberal use of ruffles, bows, ribbons, lace, and miscellaneous trim on day dresses.

Vanessa

One Too Many
Having separate or specified dresses for "day" or "evening" wear goes back even a bit farther than the 30's. . .to the age of Queen Victoria and the rise of the middle class in society. With the increasing affordability of fabric and the strict social customs that were imitated from the very wealthy or aristocratic, it was not uncommon for a woman to change clothes three to five times daily. In the morning you'd have a toilette gown, like a modern day dressing robe; then perhaps a simple morning gown to attend breakfast and answer correspondence; a visiting gown to, well, visit friends and make other social calls; an afternoon or reception gown for receiving visitors of your own; a dinner gown for small parties at home and then possibly another change into a ballgown or other fancy gown for attending the opera, theater, etc.. There were very strict social 'rules' about the necklines, length, or trims appropriate for each type of gown. One would never wear a low cut gown when out walking or visiting, or you'd be thought scandalous. It was all about following the mores of the time. Which may have deteriorated over the ages (who changes clothes that many times a day anymore? *sigh*) But it's still basically the same.

Er. . .sorry. . .Victorian tangeant.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Ladies,

Thank you so much for your wonderful responses and information. I am always overwhelmed by the wealth of knowledge that we have here. I feel like I have a much better grasp of the differences now, and will feel more comfortable when on the "hunt" for more dresses like these.

Jitterbugdoll, I especially appreciate you taking the time to post those fabulous pictures. The visuals REALLY help.

Lauren and Vanessa--the historical references were great. I enjoy learning more about the origins of attire, I think it provides an excellent context and framework for use in my own life.

Thank you all once again,

Jessica

Snookie

Practically Family
Vanessa said:
Having separate or specified dresses for "day" or "evening" wear goes back even a bit farther than the 30's. . .to the age of Queen Victoria and the rise of the middle class in society. With the increasing affordability of fabric and the strict social customs that were imitated from the very wealthy or aristocratic, it was not uncommon for a woman to change clothes three to five times daily. In the morning you'd have a toilette gown, like a modern day dressing robe; then perhaps a simple morning gown to attend breakfast and answer correspondence; a visiting gown to, well, visit friends and make other social calls; an afternoon or reception gown for receiving visitors of your own; a dinner gown for small parties at home and then possibly another change into a ballgown or other fancy gown for attending the opera, theater, etc.. There were very strict social 'rules' about the necklines, length, or trims appropriate for each type of gown. One would never wear a low cut gown when out walking or visiting, or you'd be thought scandalous. It was all about following the mores of the time. Which may have deteriorated over the ages (who changes clothes that many times a day anymore? *sigh*) But it's still basically the same.

Er. . .sorry. . .Victorian tangeant.

Here's the distinction I was making: it wasn't until the 20's and 30's that fashion considered the nicest clothes to be eveningwear, and that more casual clothes were daywear. Certainly people had different clothes for different occasions before that era, but the gowns a rich lady worn to an afternoon party were different, but often quite as nice as the evening party dress -- any opportunity for conspicuous consumption!

The middle class has existed since the Renaissance, but after WWI enough social codes had been broken and there was enough money floating around that having nice clothes was now more accessible to the average person. Before that I guess the average person would wear their nicest to church.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Yes! It might actually be said that the class distinctions became more blurred with the invention of manmade fibers. Rayon and acetate made satins, velvets, and chiffons which were previously only available to the upper class in the form of silk available to the masses. So now instead of going to a custom tailor or a department store like Neiman Marcus, a woman could go to a department store with a pattern counter, and purchase a pattern copied from the latest mode and make it up with a synthetic- for a fraction of the cost.

I wish dressmaking was as easy today! Now it often costs more to make your own!

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Lauren Henline said:
I wish dressmaking was as easy today! Now it often costs more to make your own!

You noticed that too?! The only time it seems like I am saving money is in corset making. I just wish I was better at it and understood customizing so I could make and sell them! :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Funny this was brought back to the top - I was just thinking about this topic the other day!

Thanks for bumping it up, LD! ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
speaking of day dresses....

tanflower.jpg
tanflowerclose.jpg

purplecalico.jpg
purpleclalicoclose-1.jpg

bluecalico.jpg
bluecalicoclose.jpg

:D :D :D

These were all from a 30s pattern I had, and cotton calico I got for $1.40 a yard!! Whoo hooo. So cost for the fabric for each dress was about $6! Yessssssss!!!!

Yay Day Dresses!!!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24