Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Questions and Answers -- General Attire

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am not. Really? They are actually recommending "a pair of pressed pants with a button-down shirt" these days? That barely passes inspection for daily wear, much less for a cocktail party.

I think I will probably go with a suit. Maybe a colored shirt instead of my usual white. I will try it on tonight to see what works....

Well, I'm glad you liked it, but the new version of "cocktail attire" and that of the 1960's and earlier is vastly different. Wear khaki's, jeez. "It's a formal party, don't wear your jeans with the cut outs."

Later

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
So, I have another question.

I love wearing sportcoats/blazers and all (I need to find a new jacket or two, in fact), but I could use a bit more variety (and something to wear on days when I go casual), and I was wondering what y'all would recommend for a jacket for casual wear that still looks good.

1961MJS

Hi

Not knowing what's already in your closet, but a camel hair sport coat is good, in either camel or navy. Some form of tweed is old fashioned, but good even with jeans. Navy and camel hair blazers come in two and three button as well as double breasted, so you have variety there too.

Just my $0.04

silverladybug

New in Town
I have a question for everyone. When is it alright to wear navy blue socks? I'd assume with a blue suit, but I'm no expert. I do however know a man who at least in his professional life dresses pretty well, the typical dress shirt, khaki pants and brown shoes,but he always wears navy blue socks, which gets to be incredibly distracting especially when he wears his orange, or green shirt. Am I just being incredibly uptight about this? I find it so humorously annoying that I have to check every time that I see him.

1961MJS

Hi

I buy a lot of socks of the same color / lot so that I can wear them for a while. For years I wore Tan socks with khaki pants, and black socks with everything else. I did buy some brown socks to wear with olive colored pants. Quoting the old dress for success book, never wear brown shoes with Navy. I think he meant a navy suit, but I'm not sure the author is still alive.

later

silverladybug

New in Town
Hi

I buy a lot of socks of the same color / lot so that I can wear them for a while. For years I wore Tan socks with khaki pants, and black socks with everything else. I did buy some brown socks to wear with olive colored pants. Quoting the old dress for success book, never wear brown shoes with Navy. I think he meant a navy suit, but I'm not sure the author is still alive.

later

Okay, I don't feel so completely anal retentive. It seems smart to match your socks to your pants because I'm not sure there's a reason to draw attention to your ankles. I would agree with the Navy suit with brown, but I guess I'll just have to accept that this man likes his blue socks. :)

Undertow

...yeah...except brown and navy go together well.

This is an age old (or at least intrawebz Fedora Lounge age-old) argument that can be found beaten to death in previous threads.

Typically, a man should not mix brown and black, or navy and black, in suiting. Brown/navy, cordovan/navy, etc, are all valid and pleasing combinations. Check the Big Sticky thread in the Suits forum for a massive load of pictures, many of which show blue suiting with brown or cordovan shoes.

Brown and Black do sometimes mix, especially when you're dealing with expensive leather jackets. And let's not start on hat matching...good lord!

Anyway, there are threads all over this board that beat the subject...(forgive the pun)...black and blue. ;)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Hi

Not knowing what's already in your closet, but a camel hair sport coat is good, in either camel or navy. Some form of tweed is old fashioned, but good even with jeans. Navy and camel hair blazers come in two and three button as well as double breasted, so you have variety there too.

Just my $0.04

That is what I have been going with (although I need to pick both a new sport coat or two and a new blazer), however, I was thinking I wanted something that is not structured/tailored. Weekend wear. Maybe something like that red windbreaker that Dean had, but not so iconic (I don't want to be imitating too much). Know what I mean?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I don't feel so completely anal retentive. It seems smart to match your socks to your pants because I'm not sure there's a reason to draw attention to your ankles. I would agree with the Navy suit with brown, but I guess I'll just have to accept that this man likes his blue socks. :)

I tend to wear bright colored socks. It is a fun way to add a splash of color to otherwise neutral clothes. I find that navy socks (argyle or spotted being my preference) go very well with khaki and gray slacks and brown shoes. Brown and navy is a brilliant combo, even if the old Brits didn't approve of it. It is very continental.

Espee

Practically Family
As for your current shirt, I would try putting a bit more tie knot in it. I know that is not what you are going for, but a spread collar with a Windsor knot can look really good.
Okay, thanks. At least it's not as wide a spread on the contrast collar as the "Donald J. Trump" and "American Living" brands.
I wore it once with a solid blue tie and got a compliment or two. I had in mind to try a solid white tie, but I never followed through.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Okay, thanks. At least it's not as wide a spread on the contrast collar as the "Donald J. Trump" and "American Living" brands.
I wore it once with a solid blue tie and got a compliment or two. I had in mind to try a solid white tie, but I never followed through.

Yellow is always a great look with blue/white. Although that might be a bit wall street for your taste. I don't think I would go for a white tie. I am not sure I would ever choose a white tie though. I think that it would just make me spill something on it.

1961MJS

I tend to wear bright colored socks. It is a fun way to add a splash of color to otherwise neutral clothes. I find that navy socks (argyle or spotted being my preference) go very well with khaki and gray slacks and brown shoes. Brown and navy is a brilliant combo, even if the old Brits didn't approve of it. It is very continental.

Years ago I worked with a guy from Northup in Thousand Oaks who wore ONE blue blazer every day, but he had hordes of argyle socks to wear with the various shirt and pants combinations. Conservatively wild I guess.

Later

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I'm planning to have a suit made to measure for me by Maxwell's Clothiers out of Hong Kong. I was considering getting a 3 piece suit in navy with a pinstripe, 2 button with peak lapels and a center vent on the jacket, but with a shawl lapel on a 5 button vest. Would I be comitting a faux pas by having this design? I did manage to find a picture of a victorian tuxedo with just that same setup, but I wanted to get the views of some loungers on the subject.

Also, I am planning on having flat front trousers with it, so would it be more correct to go with cuffs on the trousers or no cuffs?

Thanks!

Last edited:

silverladybug

New in Town
I understand the navy and gray, and maybe if the socks in question had a pattern like you're describing it wouldn't strike me as so odd. Then again, I'm just being judgmental because he's my history professor. Hopefully the more I stare at them, the more I'll be able to ignore them. Thanks for humoring my relatively stupid question.

Flat Foot Floey

I'm planning to have a suit made to measure for me by Maxwell's Clothiers out of Hong Kong. I was considering getting a 3 piece suit in navy with a pinstripe, 2 button with peak lapels and a center vent on the jacket, but with a shawl lapel on a 5 button vest. Would I be comitting a faux pas by having this design? I did manage to find a picture of a victorian tuxedo with just that same setup, but I wanted to get the views of some loungers on the subject.

Also, I am planning on having flat front trousers with it, so would it be more correct to go with cuffs on the trousers or no cuffs?

Thanks!
I don't know about "victorian" but for a vintage inspired in the usual FL timeframe (late 20s-40s) I would go with no vent and trousers with cuffs on a colored suit. No cuffs on formal wear of course.

PS: Brown and blue is a very cool combo. One of the worst rules I ever heard

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I don't know about "victorian" but for a vintage inspired in the usual FL timeframe (late 20s-40s) I would go with no vent and trousers with cuffs on a colored suit. No cuffs on formal wear of course.

PS: Brown and blue is a very cool combo. One of the worst rules I ever heard

But as far as the peak lapel jacket with shawl lapel waistcoat?

Undertow

But as far as the peak lapel jacket with shawl lapel waistcoat?

I've seen a similar combination in semi-formal wear from the 20's and 30's; i.e. peak lapel, 1 button jacket with no vent, flat front trousers w/no cuff, low cut vest with 4-5 buttons and shawl lapels. Of course that was "informal" evening wear of the 20's, and "semi-formal" evening wear of the 30's, not business suiting.

I've been scanning quite a few Sears catalogs into my computer lately, so I'll have to see if I can find something like you've described. Unfortunately, I'm no expert in vintage suiting, but from what I have seen, the lapels of the waistcoat are not necessarily tied to the lapels of the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21